Marlins Yelich-Ozuna trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Marlins Yelich-Ozuna trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Wonder why it is taking so long to get something done?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is because Miami is sorting through many offers to get the best one. They have no reason to rush unless the team that made the best offer made a dumb artificial time ultimatum.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Yelich is the better value and plays center which is harder to find.

He is not the better player.

Better value matters.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would argue that Yelich is the better player AND the better value.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Then you’re wrong.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No, I would say you are wrong.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I’m shorthanding this (only baseball reference) because I dont have the time:

Ozuna War :
    Age 22: 0.6
    23: 4.5
    24: 0.4
    25: 2.5
    26: 5.8

Yelich :

21: 1.4
    22: 3.7
    23: 3.5
    24: 5.3
    25: 3.9

So what youve got is a guy who is more consistent yet very good (yelich) and a guy who is less consistent with better peaks and way more power.

One plays center and one plays left.

Which makes one a better value (yelich) especially because of consistency but one a better player (ozuna) because higher end WAR is an exponential value function.

When you get above 4 WAR, THINGS GET WAY MORE VALUABLE. Yes, yelich has one year above five. That makes him exceedingly valuable.

Ozuna has one at almost six. Think of it like the richter scale. When you get that high, the value added for every .1 points is ridiculous.

Below 3.5? Not a huge difference because you start out small.

Above five? The value added is exponential.

Ozuna also has significantly harder comparisons because he plays left not center. You put up a 5.8 WAR in left you bloody earned it.

At best, you call it equal… Which is fine. Either way, yelich is not the better player. And I can guaruntee you that ozuna fits us better. We do not need another centerfielder.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I don’t give up both Flaherty and Hudson. I think we need to keep one of them for backup ML starters. Right now, our starting staff is Martinez, Wainwright, Wacha, Weaver and Mikolas. Wainwright is still an injury concern and Wacha has struggled with his shoulder. Mikolas is still unproven in MLB. The backups are Reyes (injury), Flaherty, Hudson, Poncedeleon (injury), Gant, Lyons and Gomber. There is a lot to prove from all of them. At the trade deadline, or at the end of the year, we could start trading away some of them. By then, the next wave will be getting close to ready to move up.

I think Ozuna will be the more feared (power) hitter of the 2. However, I like the control of Yelich and think he is the better overall hitter of the 2.

I am ready to move Grichuk in ANY trade that upgrades the team. I think he strikes out too much. I would be very willing to move Piscotty, as well if we get a more reliable OF. After this year or by the trade deadline, I would be willing to move Fowler and/or Pham to help the team. I really think we can get close to the same overall value from Bader, Garcia and Sierra once they get a little more seasoning. I would even move O’Neill. I am concerned about his strikeout rate, as well.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… Bernie is also wrong.

I wouldnt argue with yelich. I would argue at his price and if ANYTHING pushed us to dump fowler I would cheer.

We simply dont need a centerfielder and consistency doesnt equal better quality.

…it Sure helps to be fair.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I’m glad you are more of an expert than Bernie. I guess I can stop reading Bernie now.

Unless I’m looking at our roster wrong I don’t see an elite CF on our team so I don’t have a problem acquiring one.

Fowler? No
    Pham? No
    Sierra? Maybe eventually.

An outfield of Pham LF, Yelich CF, and whoever in RF would be ideal. I do agree with you that trading Fowler would be a plus.

Or we could just say to heck with it and trade for both Ozuna and Yelich. Ozuna LF, Yelich CF, and Pham RF. That would deplete the farm though.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I am me. Bernie is human and is wrong sometimes. Experts in their field do that (and I dont consider bernie an expert).

Remember those scientists in the 1800s who didnt even know about einstein-ian physics? Yeah, they were wrong.

And smarter than bernie.

… You just made my argument for me when you said it would deplete the farm to do that.

And considering how absurdly deep we are you should think about what you just tried to argue again.

Yelich is a fine player same as ozuna. But in no way shape or form is he worth what they’re asking for. Ozuna? He probably is.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You might check out the article on VEB which advocates we make one talent acquisition and one cash acquisition. Makes a lot of sense.

PadsFS
    Participant

Look, we know how everyone feels about Fowler. Start a Fowler thread and I will argue with you all day about his value, haha!

IMO, he isn’t going anywhere whether you want him to or not. This is a thread about Ozuna.

PadsFS
    Participant

Brianpnoonan

So what youve got is a guy who is more consistent yet very good (yelich) and a guy who is less consistent with better peaks and way more power.

One plays center and one plays left.

Up until 2017, Ozuna was in centerfield (and played average per UZR, below per DRS) and Yelich was in LF (and played above-average).

Meanwhile, 2017 rolls around and Ozuna is excellent in LF by both metrics, same as Yelich, but Yelich is below-average in CF per DRS and average per UZR.

I would absolutely say that the difference in their defensive value is negligible, however, Ozuna is a natural RFer, while Yelich has never played an inning over there and we need a RFer….

philcron77
    Participant

Free

@Ken_Rosenthal

#STLCards making progress on acquiring Ozuna from the #Marlins, sources tell The Athletic.
    9:11 AM – 13 Dec 2017

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Yelich >>> Ozuna

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free
    Cardinal25
    Participant

Free

Sanchez reporting we got Ozuna. Club hasn’t confirmed yet

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I realize there are a lot of us who prefer Yellich, but Miami obviously isn’t making him available.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Now you have to wonder who is going to Miami in return…, perhaps this isn’t the only outfield trade given if say Grichuk is going to Miami and then the A’s want Piscotty we’d need another OF…

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Not true Marlins have said the are still open to listening in Yelich but the cards front office more intersect in overpaying for a guy who had a career year

philcron77
    Participant

Free

I think they are waiting for the As deal to be completed as somethings from the As maybe going to the Marlins.

PadsFS
    Participant

Also, Yelich is very similar offensively to several others we already have, while Ozuna provides a legit MOTO bat.

PadsFS
    Participant

Do you try and get Yelich too then? Sending them Pham?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 208 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.