Marlins Yelich-Ozuna trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Marlins Yelich-Ozuna trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Though there has been a lot of discussion about these two on the general thread as well as with Stanton, since the latter is done, I decided to open a new thread.

First item is from SiriusXM’s Craig Mish, who as you probably know, has good Marlins contacts.

Marlins : Teams told last week Ozuna “unavailable” to drive teams appeal to Stanton to get done first. Source close to Ozuna tells me still would love to stay in Miami despite trades. Yelich ? I’m told not happy. All trade options open for both players.

https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/940219628550279168

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am fine with Yelich if Mo/Girsch also get another bat.This nonsense about Jose Martinez being the starting 1B is beyond crazy.I think Jose Martinez would look fine in Miami with Alcantara and Mercado.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Miami beat writer Joe Frisaro:

The #WinterMeetings are underway. The two LEAST likely #Marlins to be dealt: J.T. Realmuto, Christian Yelich. Doubtful to be moved Dan Straily, Justin Bour. No-reason to even think of moving, Jose Urena.

https://twitter.com/JoeFrisaro/status/940223249690124288

Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Ozuna as a fallback option but i would rather have someone who will be around longer than 2 years.Maybe its time o look elsewhere.That said i don`t really have any idea where Cards will look next.Any thoughts on who else could be in playthat would be off the wall under the radar Brian?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry, I have no unique insight on trade targets right now. Often in the past, the Cards do something different from what the majority expect.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I was just wondering Brian.You are right about Cards pulling off the wall unexpected moves.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Hard to know what may happen at this point. JD Martinez might be the best target. Yelich would be a good fit, but then you have gone out and brought in a center fielder two years in a row, while one of your best prospects is a center fielder. That is counterproductive. Ozuna is the guy you want to focus on between the two. But he is more of a stop gap guy. I really would not be upset to go into next year and see who wins the three outfield jobs between Fowler, Pham, Piscotty and Bader.

Personally at this point, with no Stanton in the mix, I could live with going with the latter three and play ’em every day. But that leaves an expensive bench player in Fowler, and possibly a clubhouse culture issue with a guy you brought in as a leader not playing.

The club has gotten itself into a bind.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike, if you are ok with the Cards standing pat in the OF, are you still in favor of getting more offense, presumably on the infield?

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Realmuto could be an interesting guy to target….he can play 1b and he is a good catcher…if we could use our backup catcher as a starter at another position we can utilize another bench spot…AND we could feel safe to trade a big time chip in Kelly

I dont ONLY want to look at Realmuto…but i like the flex he could provide…

A Realmuto + Ozuna (maybe Yelich) would bolster the lineup

then a trade for Archer and Colome

i dunno….i think Realmuto is VERY underrated…and he isnt underrated much

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Mike, if you are ok with the Cards standing pat in the OF, are you still in favor of getting more offense, presumably on the infield?

Yes. I still think the club needs to pursue offense where ever they can find it. But I also know that things do not always go the way we think they will. Stanton would have been a significant upgrade to the offense (assuming he stayed on the field, ie no major injury). After him, we are looking at guys that could improve the offense, but you just never know. We could get shutout out on a deal, and look back a year from now and be thankful we did not do anything, as Mr. X blossomed into a legitimate star.

Thus if we do not make a splash, I think there are worse options than giving Bader a shot, and seeing if Piscotty is the guy they thought he was when they gave him the contract.

Participant

Free

bicyclemike:

Junior would like the way you think. Do nothing, spend no money and stick with the guys you have.

Who knows, maybe they could win the WS with the roster they have right now…no moves at all.
    \No moves would make Junior very happy.

Participant

Free

This is the reason the Cardinals won’t land Ozuna:

Participant

Free

I was all over Ozuna last year after his dominant 2016 first half. I thought it was a sign of things to come for him.

I would be just fine with trading for him. I think he is a worthy upgrade. I would still like to see two new hitters in the lineup though. Not just one. I am not buying Gyorko and Pham and their ability to repeat 2017, which ruins any of the gains we make with a RF upgrade.

Participant

Paid - Annual

To me it is a no brainer that Yelich should be the choice over Ozuna. Yelich is cheaper, more control, more athletic, and has more of a proven track record.

Ozuna’s 2017 season just screams outlier to me.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the number of OF in our system, I would probably prefer the shorter term solution. I like Yelich but I suspect Ozuna might burn brighter over a two year span and cost less in prospect capital as well.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The rub here is that the Cardinals are not in control. The Marlins reportedly want to hang on to Yelich, but are listening to offers for Ozuna. The latter is likely going somewhere, increasing the odds Yelich is staying. At least that is my read, granted from the distance.

Participant

Free

Ozuna would fit better if we dump fowler. You can put pham in center and piscotty in right with bader and sierra as backups.

O’Neill and mercado at aaa for emergencies. Not bad really.

If you deal piscotty (I would) you can substitute O’Neill in right.

… And yes I know this means grichuk has nowhere to be. Gosh…

Overall better than last year and three moves (plus releasing grich) is a lot but … We almost have to make one or two at least with the absurd number of semi productive outfielders we have.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed, Brian. Yelich would probably require a huge haul to get, given their real lack of need to trade him.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

News from Nightengale:

The #STLCards have emerged as the favorites to acquire #Marlins OF Marcell Ozuna but no decision yet

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/940658409543815168

Participant

Free

Just what we need another outfielder

Participant

Free

*shrugs* we need upgrades. we have a lot of decent outfielders but no truly good ones outside of pham…

like i said, it makes sense if they deal fowler. a lot of sense.

Participant

Free

I would guess phil that if we got Ozuna one or more of those outfielders would be headed to Miami…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I understand that Yelich would cost more in prospects. It is because he is the better player. I just hope we don’t settle for Ozuna. This seems like the path of least resistance.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, they would likely have a lot more success trying to get the one one Miami is willing to trade. Paying fair price for one vs. seriously overpaying to shake other loose wouldn’t be wise, IMO. Of course, it is all speculation.

Participant

Free

Yelich is the better value but in no way is he the better player.

And I dont see how he is a better value for us in any way shape or form. We have centerfielders. We even have some who can fly (sierra and machado in aaa). I dont see how adding yet another one helps us.

Pham in center with ozuna helps us way, way more than yelich… Assuming fowler is gone anyway… Only way any of this makes sense.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 208 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years