Marlins Yelich-Ozuna trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Marlins Yelich-Ozuna trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I don’t but neither do you if Pham will revert back to earth. It is a matter of opinion and I rather have the younger player with his best years ahead. Pham is 30 and has a history of injuries and vision problems. I would rather take my chances with Yelich.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

And that is how trades get made. If I was thr Miami GM and you were the Cardinal GM we could make a trade 🙂

Participant

Pham has been inconsistent and injury plagued throughout his minor league career. But he can hit and his hitting comes alive when he is injury-free. If there is some thoughts about moving him now is the time… he should have good market value after having one of those very good seasons. His age may be a concern to other teams. He gave us an excellent ’17.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Look at it this way, this time last year 99% of Cardinal fans would do the Pham for Yelich trade in a heartbeat. Does one good season change the dynamic that much?? I would say let’s sell high on Pham while we can.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This from MLB Trade Rumors:

At least 15 teams have called the Marlins on Yelich, per Frisaro, while another dozen or so are showing interest in Realmuto. Miami isn’t willing to move either player for anything less than a substantial overpay in terms of prospects and young talent, though. Frisaro lists the Cardinals, Phillies, Braves and D-backs as teams that have spoken to Miami about Yelich.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

So you think Pham’s season was merely “good”?

Participant

Free

14Ny – If Pham has anything close to the season he had last year offensively, and plays CF where he can rake in some positive defensive positional value, he will be much more valuable next off-season. Two years of plus production likely makes him untradeable for the Cardinals. Just a thought.

2018 is his last pre-arb year too, so he will get more expensive starting in 2019. I don’t see why the Marlins would trade a player like Yelich for a guy with less control that is also older too.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So you think Pham’s season was merely “good”?

Call it whatever you want but it was still just one year. I thought sample size mattered on this board.

Participant

Paid - Annual

2018 is his last pre-arb year too, so he will get more expensive starting in 2019. I don’t see why the Marlins would trade a player like Yelich for a guy with less control that is also older too.

I don’t see why they would do it either, which is why we should be all over it if that was the proposed deal. However, all of this is just speculation. We don’t know how hard the Cards are pushing for Yelich or if Pham is even involved in any proposals. I’m just assuming he would be. It sounds like there are many many teams after him so the chances of us getting him are fairly low.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would estimate that if Pham puts up Yelich numbers (4+ war) a year for the next 3 years he will make about $34 million over the next 4 years compared to the 43 million Yelich will be owed. That makes it hard to argue that Yelich has a better contract.

Participant

Based on what? One great year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yelich has been traded to the Brewers for OF Lewis Brinson, OF Monte Harrison, INF Isan Diaz and RHP Jordan Yamamoto. Two of Milwaukee’s top five prospects. Looks like they are going for it.

Participant

Free

Yu and Cain next? If so, then no doubt they are going for it.

Participant

Free

And we’ll just sit here and enjoy another 3rd place finish and miss the playoffs again.

Teams are taking advantage of our inactivity the last couple season. Not just teams in the central either.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, the Cain deal is done.

From Jerry Crasnick of ESPN:

Lorenzo Cain has agreed on a 5-year, $80M deal with the #Brewers, source says. It’s the biggest free agent contract of the offseason. The deal includes no-trade protection and significant award bonuses. Milwaukee building a super outfield with addition of Yelich and Cain.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/956685103878557696

Participant

Free

So they need another starter and on paper they will be really good.

Participant

Free

They’ve got the option of trading Braun or or even acquiring Darvish. They were 30th in payroll last year and this move for both Cain and Yelich is a steal for them and not a big blip for them.

Could they be the team to land Archer?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bold moves by the Brew Crew … The road to the playoffs just got tougher for the Cardinals!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some are saying the Cardinals got a better deal for Ozuna, but I wonder if they realize that Yelich has five years of team control ahead (vs. two for Ozuna). I predict Yelich is going to become the new Braun, a guy the Cards are going to get very tired of facing over and over. With all the focus on the Cubs, it is easy to forget that last year’s Brewers, with MLB’s lowest payroll, still took the season series over St. Louis. And they are clearly getting better.

Participant

Free

Competition in the central definitely got better in this case. If I take my cardinals glasses off I am glad for brewers fans (used to live outside milwaukee… The fans have had basically nothing to root for and are fairly good fans) but I think this hurts us overall.

Some of their wins are likely coming at our expense.

Participant

Free

I’m not sure what changing out Yelich for Santana and Cain for Brinson does for them personally. Santana mashed the ball last year ~ .371 OBP with 30 HRs and 15 SBs.

I guess the Cain contract is what doesn’t make a lot of sense. Braun – Yelich – Santana is a great outfield too.

With Cain, their team is surprisingly old. They have Braun, Vogt, Thames, and Cain all over 30. They have a ton of prospects coming up though.

They have to trade Santana now, but I’d probably keep Brett Phillips. Perhaps they can sign Darvish, because their rotation is awful if Nelson is out.

If the Braves had any sense, they would be dangling Teheran (plus some of these Quad-A starters like Sims, Wisler) for Santana this year. They could hold Acuna back some and trade Markakis at the deadline. Then they would have a Santana-Inciarte-Acuna outfield in 2018.

Participant

Free

I am just glad tbe Brewers didn’t decide to go with Santana/Cain and Yelich as they prob would be best OF in central

Participant

Free

Ryan Braun lf

•may block trade to any club after earning 10-and-5 rights 5/14/17

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Have to imagine they have a deal almost ready for a trade of Broxton/andor Santana

probably for a starter… Teheran might be a good target

makes me wonder if they are maybe looking at Archer or one of the MEts starters

Participant

Paid - Annual

Strong moves by the Brewers. If they get a top of the rotation guy we may be looking at 3rd place in the division unless we decide to make some more moves.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 208 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years