Marcell Ozuna

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Marcell Ozuna

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of course there is technically a chance Ozuna could accept the qualifying offer – until the very last moment when the decision is made. But holding out hope is unrealistic. The reasons why not far outweigh the very slim chance it could happen. The good news is that this will play out quickly and not linger all winter. Then everyone can move on.

skippy mckillskippy mckill
    Participant

Free

I think it’s more probable than it would have been a couple years ago, as teams have shown that they don’t want to give up the draft pick compensation unless it’s a first tier FA. You’re not going to have everyone competing for your services, and even the ones who do are going to back the value of the draft pick out of what they will offer you. But it’s still pretty much a no-brainer to sign a guaranteed long-term contract in this sport when you can. I’d rather sign for $65M today than $17 and hope I don’t get injured or just flame out in the next 12 months, and Scott Boras isn’t even my agent.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

According to a report out of the Dominican, Ozuna will be announced on Monday as joining the White Sox. This has not yet been confirmed by the usual suspects, I mean sources.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would like to see an end to this topic.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The compensatory draft pick will live on…

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Ozuna to the White Sox seems reasonable. That club is taking the next step to be competitive now.

Another one might be San Diego, where he would join another former Cardinal in their outfield. They are ready to compete as well.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I cannot see the Padres adding yet another outfielder unless they trade others away. They already have six:

Wil Myers
    Pham (just acquired from TB)
    Manny Margot
    Franchy Cordero
    Trent Grisham (just acquired from MIL)
    Josh Naylor

Hosmer will be the regular at first base.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, they really need a second baseman.

Participant

Free

Padres aren’t adding Ozuna. Make zero sense even before they dealt for Pham.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Oh they’re interested if the price is right. No doubt!

No way Ozuna inks in STL unless is a short deal or something favorable to us.

Might as well sign dickerson.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Booyah, it is a rare day in which we totally agree. I am circling today on my calendar. 😉

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

3 years/$45M

I’d take that and keep my fingers crossed.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

Rat, as I was reading through the comments, that’s exactly the years and AAV I was thinking he would need to drop to.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In his mailbag today at The Athletic, Mark Saxon pegs Ozuna’s odds of returning to the Cards at 50 percent.

That seems wildly optimistic to me, but what do others think?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I don’t think the Cardinals will sign either one but I would sign Castellanos before Ozuna.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So would I GC but it won’t happen.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

I don’t think I call 50% chance of Ozuna returning optimistic. When I hear that I grimace. Just take the pick, give him a good character reference, and thank him for his service.

Participant

Paid - Annual

On my list to Santa I included that please have Ozuna sign elsewhere. His defense is embarrassing and I know that we can put a better player out there even if we need to acquire one. Just close the books on him and chalk it up to another mistake.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Ozuna was not a mistake but we don’t need to resign him either.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

50/50 seems about right to me. I get the sense he likes His manager and teammates, thus the desire to stay in familiar surroundings on a club that should be in The hunt for a post season berth are enticing. Most fans seem to want him gone, but whoever we plug in could be worse. Until someone proves they can hit major league pitching you will be exposing Goldschmidt to being pitched around.

Still though, my decision would be to move on and give O’Neill first shot at the job in the Spring. If Ty plays every day he is likely a 30+ home run hitter with good defense and base running. You are also banking on him to cut down on the strikeouts with consistent reps and experience, not too mention stay healthy. He has that characteristic you do not see every day, in that he has the potential to carry a club for a couple of weeks.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bikemike, what is your “puke point” (as Girsch would say) on number of years and salary you would give to Ozuna?

Participant

Free

So whip me with a wet noodle but I hope Ozuna resigns with the Cards. I really don’t think ONeil will ever change his spots or his swing. I would not be surprised to see him as part of a trade package before February. But if Ozuna does not resign, the earth will continue to rotate. You can knock his defense but I rate it average at best and think there are definitely ways he could improve with effort. My only other knock on his game is that he can be pretty sporadic. Time will tell.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Same question to you, MM3. What is your max in years and money? Rats said 3/45. What say you folks?

My guess the Cards won’t go beyond two years and $30 MM, which won’t be enough to get the deal done.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years