Of course there is technically a chance Ozuna could accept the qualifying offer – until the very last moment when the decision is made. But holding out hope is unrealistic. The reasons why not far outweigh the very slim chance it could happen. The good news is that this will play out quickly and not linger all winter. Then everyone can move on.
I think it’s more probable than it would have been a couple years ago, as teams have shown that they don’t want to give up the draft pick compensation unless it’s a first tier FA. You’re not going to have everyone competing for your services, and even the ones who do are going to back the value of the draft pick out of what they will offer you. But it’s still pretty much a no-brainer to sign a guaranteed long-term contract in this sport when you can. I’d rather sign for $65M today than $17 and hope I don’t get injured or just flame out in the next 12 months, and Scott Boras isn’t even my agent.