Manny Machado thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Manny Machado thread

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 399 total)
  • Author
    LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Though the Cubs might not be so good to much longer when all of their stars contracts come up in the next few years I wonder if they’ll be able to keep all of them or enough of them to still be a major threat, the Red Sox so far don’t look that scary, the Nationals by what they have should have won the series already but haven’t, the Dodgers are good but a lot can happen, Houston’s magic might have run out for them to be as dominant as they were last year and the Yankees could just be throwing money at the problem and expecting every to work perfectly, remember when Judge disappeared for like a good chunk of the season as far as his hitting went…

Oquendo11
    Participant

Free

I guess some fans believe that trading for Machado increases the odds of signing him to a long term deal.

I don’t see it that way.

The odds of the Cardinals signing Machado to a long term deal are very slim and much slimmer.

But to my mind, if the Cardinals have to trade away the farm to bring Machado in 2018, they won’t have enough depth in 2019 to afford to be competitive and also pay him more than anyone else is willing to him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LoganAlpha, I accept your point that all the good teams now will not stay good indefinitely. But this discussion is about signing a superstar for 2018 ONLY. I am pretty sure most of those good teams will still be pretty good then.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I wasn’t saying that they wouldn’t be good just saying that they wouldn’t be invincible and not worth at least trying to do something to defeat them, Machado on the team would make it easier to defeat them, but then again unless the front office changes I don’t see 2019 as being any better than this last year…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only good reason for getting Machado for 2018, other than his production, would be to block him from the Cubs for at least a year. I know that is a silly reason for some but not to me. In my opinion our first goal now should be to finish higher than the stinking Cubs. I know all of the PC talk about “doing our own thing” and “not worrying about what our competitors are doing”. That is a bunch of hogwash. You don’t think the Yankees and Red Sox tried to block each other and compare their rosters to each other over the years? Of course they did and probably still do. The same thing now applies to us and the Cubs.

Not only are they our biggest rival but they are our biggest obstacle to winning the division so we should naturally want to construct a roster better than theirs. Playing for a wild card game is too risky.

The fact is that the Cubs are going to be a major force for at least the next four years. That is when several of their players will reach FA if not locked up before then. We had better beef up our roster now if we want to have a chance at more than a wild card berth.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Trying to block one opponent seems a very questionable strategy.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree Brian. The only way a Machado deal makes sense is if he agrees to a two year extension for a total of three seasons in St Louis. Otherwise, the Orioles are asking for too much.

NJ315
    Participant

I see the Cubs as the preferred destination currently. You trade for Machado now the team will find in the same place as with Heyward. In my opinion they have to change that and make St. Louis at least equally attractive as the Cubs. I would sign Hosmer overpaying maybe in money, years, or both. Now you have Ozuna and Hosmer and if Reyes and Martinez are lights out you have yourself a very attractive destination.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Yankees look like the destination for MAchado…
    Sure Andujar, Gregorias, and Gleybar might be good, but they could slot Machado into that lineup pretty easily and put him with their murderer’s row

Cubs have Bryant and Russell
    Dodgers have Seager and Turner
    Nats have Rendon and Turner

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trying to block one opponent seems a very questionable strategy.

Not if that team is preventing you from winning the division. Playing for a wild card spot seems like a questionable strategy to me.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Thats one reason I was saying the other day we probably need two more moves… That we shouldnt be done even if we are.

Playing for the wild card basically means you’re playing for a 50-50 shot at whoever won the most games. It’s a crap strategy.

Now… If you honestly feel inproving our bullpen will win us 12 more games then fine… I can see the argument.

It is bunch of bull, but I can see the argument.

Having a great bullpen can help you get hot for a month (see cardinals in 2011 and royals in 2015) but you still need the team to play out the rest of it.

We have the pieces to have a stupidly good pen by october. I get that. I just dont think the rest of the team is good enough to do anything worth mentioning.

90 wins? If that’s our goal we have issues and they start at the top.

…and yes I fully realize we can acquire guys at the deadline… If you like overpaying even more than we would now anyway.

If the answer is “there are no good answers” then choosing stagnation is not the correct answer and it seems to be the choice they have made for a very long time now.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Orioles want two MLB-ready starters for 4-5 years each.

The Cardinals should offer Mike Mayers and John Gant.

Baltimore pitchers aren’t good anyway. They won’t know the difference.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Heyman is reporting the Orioles are unhappy with the offers made for Machado and may pull him off the market as soon as today or tomorrow.

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-orioles-may-pull-many-machado-off-trading-block/

NJ315
    Participant

Good. Move on. Sign Hosmer. Overpay for Hosmer.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Hosmer just fine. But then what do we do with Matt Carpenter? Gyorko is a much better third baseman, not far behind Evan Longoria.

NJ315
    Participant

I would trade him. His future is as a DH. He will keep breaking down as he gets older. We may not get a lot but we need Hosmer’s impact on the team as a good younger left handed bat complement to Ozuna than we need Carp. Hosmer and Ozuna makes the team more attractive to future free agents than Ozuna only. We pay a high price for Hosmer but I see it more as investment for the future of the team appeal.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we get Hosmer I think Gyroko should be traded. We could use the $6.5M in savings to accomplish some more things (rotation, closer).

As I have stated before we should look to trade Gyroko and Grichuk this offseason and maybe even Wacha. The projected costs are $6.5, $3.0, and $6.0 respectively. That $15M in savings could help us get another starter or closer.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Not gyorko, fowler. Put carp in left.

Much bigger savings short and long term.

NJ315
    Participant

Where is Fowler going?

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Offer to give him away and find out.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is a 99.9% chance that Ozuna will be the LF.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Omg carp in LF is just not smart idea st all. And give up trading Fowler he is t going anywhere

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Carpenter in left is infinitely smarter than fowler in left with that contract.

I never said it was smart I said keeping fowler was stupid.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

No carp if far worse defense hen Fowler. Heck carp is a major liability on defense anywhere he goes

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… So is fowler. Carpenter hits more and has a better contract situation by far.

And he has been here his whole career.

Stashing a bat in left happens. Fowler isnt a good enough bat to do it. Carpenter isnt really either but is a better choice.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 399 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.