Manny Machado thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Manny Machado thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 399 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Orioles have put Manny Machado on the trade block, according to Ken Rosenthal. Further, he wants to return to shortstop.

However, the Cards may not be interested in a one-year gamble that the player will stay afterward, per Goold.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cards-eager-to-turn-two-excess-outfielders-into-one-impactful/article_bec1e03a-8e16-57c4-9c93-083bea2ed12a.html

On the related topic, I ran a twitter search for an example of any player who signed an extension with his new team IMMEDIATE with the trade. Update: We found three so far. Johan Santana with the Mets in 2008, Roy Halladay with the Phillies a year later and R.A Dickey in 2012.

Many others signed extensions a few months later after the trade, but there is no evidence there was a pre-agreement. And as we have seen recently, St. Louis is no longer a preferred destination for many players.

So, acquiring Machado and expecting an extension as part of the trade is probably not realistic. (Though Baltimore might want to offer a negotiating window in order to try to get more from him in trade. No way to know if they want to bother with that. A lot would depend on Machado’s signing mindset. If he is determined to test free agency, all bets would probably be off. It does seem pretty clear he isn’t going to re-sign with Baltimore, at least.)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nightengale confirms Cardinals interest.

The #STLCards also among the teams interested in #Orioles 3B Manny Machado, who wants to move back to SS if he stays in Baltimore. The Orioles now more inclined to move him, but no one can predict what owner Peter Angelos will ultimately decide

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/940659146243833856

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I thought Machado was pretty much a gold glover at 3B. Why does he want to move to SS. Is there any way the Cards let him play SS for them?

Participant

He is a SS the Orioles moved him because they JJ Hardy at short.

Participant

Free

I would be ok giving up alot to give him if we could also sign him to a contract before the trade goes through with the cash we were going to give Stanton.

Participant

Free

you deal dejong as part of the deal and don’t bat an eye… or you deal dejong for an outfield upgrade if they want something else, doesn’t really matter.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why would you deal DeJong? Move him to 3B. I’d much rather have him than Gyroko.

There other players to send to Baltimore.

Participant

Free

Sell high on value isnt the worst reason to make a trade. Virtually ever.

Fact is it is a pretty good one.

Im fine either way but dejong is definitely a candidate for that type of trade. Someone compared him to soriano a while back… Not the worst comparison.

That type of player is an mvp one year and grichuk the next… Which is why selling high makes way too much sense.

Participant

Paid - Annual

you want to deal somebody for Machado…then deal Pham.Keep DeJong.He plays a premium position.He is younger.He does not have eye or a injury history.Sell high on one year wonder Pham.

Participant

Free

Dejong and pham are both valid sell high candidates. So is fowler (his value will never be higher).

The problem in our outfield is we need to move something like four guys minimum if we acquire a guy like ozuna (or stanton at one point).

We just have a lot of decent players.

Participant

Free

… Also, dejong only has maximum value at shortstop. At third his value is significantly lower (probably 1/3 of his value at short and that is being kind).

Gyorko at third where he is a similar value player and trading dejong would probably be a better option for the team.

Getting machado if it happens pretty much screams that dejong will have a new home.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why trade DeJong?He is young and under team control for years and provides some power.I would trade any of Carpenter,Wong,Fowler,Pham,or Gyorko before I would even consider trading DeJong.That might tick off the saberstat crowd but Carpenter is declining a bit,Fowler was a wasted overpay,Pham has his injury.eye history and Gyorko fell badly the second half last year.Wong just seems like a teaser player;flashing great ability but can’t stay on the field and has too many brainfarts defensively.

Participant

Free

I can go either way. His bat screams occasional severe downside similar to soriano or at the extreme randall grichuk.

On his upside, his could be an mvp candidate. On his downside awful.

…. Or you could have a yearly mvp candidate in machado.

You deal him because you get a better player. You don’t if you think he will keep it up.

Either way, with machado he has no position and thus no place on this team.

Participant

Free

And just like that the Cardinals GM throws cold water on the rumor.

“Cardinals GM Michael Girsch told Ben Frederickson of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that giving up significant assets for a star player with just one year of control remaining is “not a path we are likely to go down.”  Interestingly, this description applies to both Machado and to another oft-mentioned Cards trade target in Josh Donaldson.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/orioles-trade-rumor-manny-machado.html

Participant

Free

Lets face it the cards brass is to dang in love with their prospects to trade any period. We prob will go into next year with the pretty much same team that missed the postseason for the 2nd consecutive year this year.

Participant

Free

There’s a lot of ways things can go. There’s tons of moving parts on all sides right now.

Keep in mind the free agent class next year will allow for a lot of things. It is entirely possible that a player might want to sign sooner to beat the rush and lock in a contract.

…and maybe it isnt long term. 3 years/75 million so he can do this without all the contract competition? Who knows…

All he basically said was we don’t do rentals. Extensions happen.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why is everyone wanting to dump DeJong. You have a guy that made the majors in his second full season, hit 25 homers in a partial major league season and 38 overall and is at this point average or slightly better defensively in his first full year at shortstop. Just because Diaz flamed out not everyone is going down the same path.

I much prefer Machado to Donaldson if we are talking about a one year rental. but if we get either we have to clear out some of our infield surpluss particularly on the corners. I think Machado is a potential superstar.

Participant

Free

I’m guessing that some here fear a repeat of what happened to Diaz after his rookie year, some fear the same could happen to DeJong so it’s more of a strike while the iron is hot than to have him regress and not be able to get anything for him later on or have missed the opportunity…

Participant

Free

…I cant speak for anyone else. I don’t want to dump dejong. I am just indifferent if we do.

We have a bunch of average to above average players. Dejong is one of them. If you acquire a star (machado is one) then those players are expendable.

We need stars. Plural. Not single. It was that way even with stanton.

There isnt much more to it.

Dejong is nice. If you take it a step further and look big picture… He is just that — nice.

Machado would be the best ss in the game or damn close.

Nothing more needs to be said. If you cant see the difference well…

… And yes, regression is a legitimate fear. Look at alfonso sorianos career… Hot or miss from year to year in the extreme.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Would love to bring in Machado, and dealing some premium talent would be required. I doubt Baltimore is interested in too many of our position players – they probably want to get a couple of those good young arms we have, plus perhaps a guy like Piscotty who is young enough and has had success to where he is a good bet to improve.

But to do that, you almost have to get Machado to sign long-term.

Participant

Free

I would gladly deal DeJong, because Machado is far superior.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bringing in Machado shouldn’t spell the end of DeJong. DeJong can easily move over to 3B and yes hitting 30 HR should provide enough value to be a starting 3B. Gyorko is not an everyday player and shouldn’t be treated as one.

Participant

Free

Dejong is more valuable as a trade chip than at third where we have a guy who is comparable signed reasonably.

Ditto at second.

I repeat : soriano. Grichuk. Diaz.

Risk/reward matters.

When you have too many guys, and you make trades to improve, stuff happens. IF they move dejong but improve at the position I would be fine with it. That’s how this game is played.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Assuming that DeJong is going to be the next Diaz, Soriano, or Grichuk is just that, an assumption. It doesn’t make it a fact.

Participant

Free

Where was that written by anybody?

Havent seen it once.

Risk/reward matters.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 399 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years