Manny Machado thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Manny Machado thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 399 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trading away a potential 30HR player making the league minimum with five years of control for a superstar player with one year of control is a risk I wouldn’t take.

Now trading away a super utility player that costs between $6-$10M per year for the one year of a superstar is a risk I would take.

Participant

Free

It has been pointed out that Baltimore wouldn’t want dejong they would want pitching. Dejong would get dealt for someone else. but regardless…

Dejong is a decent player. Decent. I would hold him unless a better situation develops. Nothing more nothing less.

Better situations happen.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder from yesterday from Ben Fredrickson:

Asked #STLCards GM Girsch a/b idea of trading for cornerstone-type player (Ex: Machado) who comes w/ 1-year left before free agency. He said you only make that deal if able to stomach cost of trade, plus risk of not extending guy. Said it’s “not a path we are likely to go down.”

https://twitter.com/Ben_Fred/status/940734736028364800

Participant

Free

gscottar

Trading away a potential 30HR player making the league minimum with five years of control for a superstar player with one year of control is a risk I wouldn’t take.

Now trading away a super utility player that costs between $6-$10M per year for the one year of a superstar is a risk I would take.

Baltimore probably feels the same way. The key word in your post is “superstar”. That would be worth the cost in my opinion. If they want DeJong who would then have no place here instead of, say, Reyes or Flaherty, then by all means take him. Gyorko and Machado in the infield without trading Reyes would be far better than having one of Gyorko/DeJong/Wong sitting on the bench or being forced to trade one of them to replace all of our pitching prospects.

Machado, Donaldson, Stanton….those are difference-makers and Machado will be just 25.

I will say this too…Machado won’t be signing here as a FA if he isn’t already on the team in 2018. That’s our best shot at getting him to sign a long-term deal. He will

Participant

Free

gscottar

Rougned Odor looked really similar heading into 2017 and still hit 30 homeruns both years.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I dont get the lets trade DeJong crap.Cards develop as good player who can play SS/3B and hit with some power and is still young and under team control and has no health issues/eye issues and didnt take 10 plus years to have a impact season.Machado isn`t going anywhere IMHO. DeJong could be a solid player for years after Gyorko,Carpenter and Molina are gone.

Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar

Rougned Odor looked really similar heading into 2017 and still hit 30 homeruns both years.

The Cardinals aren’t trading away five years of DeJong for one year of anyone else. It won’t happen.

Participant

Free

i would trade Dejong in a heart beat to get Machado (only if we can sign him to LTC)

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well that’s a big freaking “if”.

Participant

Free

most trade offers are, it is not likeDejong is some high end prospect and came up and did great, he literally come out of NOWHERE

Participant

Free

I would do it without the long-term deal.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d send them Gyroko, Grichuk, and Hudson for Machado.

Maybe throw in another prospect to get Britton also.

Participant

Free

It got real quite on this story this evening. Also seems all of the Cardinals moves have gotten just as quite. Wonder if the pause is they are working on this deal at the moment. Gonna be interesting the next few days.

Participant

Free

I think we should keep DeJong and woffer Delvin Perez instead. And throw in a pitcher or 2 for Zack Britton.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Late rumor from Ken Rosenthal is that a surprise team, the non-contending White Sox, have the best offer on the table for Machado. My question is why?

Creative thinkers among fans are suggesting a follow-on flip to the Yankees, a team the Orioles would never trade with directly.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That White Sox rumor is puzzling. They have a boat load of prospects, and I would not expect them to suddenly change course and go after Machado. The exception would be if they are assured of signing him to a long-term deal, and do not overpay. But I would think Machado wants to hit the open market after this season.

Participant

Free

It would make sense that they are a middle man for the Yankees…

Participant

Free

I think its a fake offer to drive up the price.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Scott Miller, national writer:

Machado a free agent after 2018 season. Would #Orioles grant a potential trade partner negotiating window to sign him long term? Duquette: “I don’t see that as a viable option.”

https://twitter.com/ScottMillerBbl/status/941335936029351939

Participant

Free

Strange that the Cardinals are being so aggressive with Machado and Donaldson with only one year left. I would believe Donaldson would be easier to resign than Machado due to age, but who knows.

Though it would be something if the Cardinals could swing trades for Donaldson & Machado since Machado wants to play SS.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Agree that the White Sox interest is probably more of a broker role. They would be playing the part of the 1950s Kansas City Athletics, where you trade a guy to that team, so that they can then trade him to the Yankees. Like Ryne Duren once told me at a local SABR event about 7 or 8 years ago – when the Indians traded Roger Maris to the Athletics, people were saying “The Yankees just got Maris”.

But man, if somehow we landed Machado and could keep him, that would be something. It would make this the biggest off season shake-up since Whitey Herzog’s dealings after the 1980 season.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IF…. and it is a BIG if… IF we are/were interested in winning a bidding war for MAchado after 2018 anyways…trading for him now makes some sense

It sounds like Machado wants to test the market….BUT if we ask them what it will take to get him extended NOW…and we are willing to do that deal regardless of how much it might hurt…then the trade isnt bad…

i think IF we want to go that route…or something similar… our ability to basically let him start getting paid THIS year instead of waiting would be enticing…it is BIG money and BIG money you dont have to wait to start getting…I am sure Boras wouldnt mind getting his percentage a year earlier and MAchado can us it to buy the house he will live in for the long term contract that he wants right now

you have to be willing to go really big though… they say 400mil for 10 years…you cant haggle much if any…or you risk wasting the talent you are giving up to get him a year early

Participant

Free

Hicks and/or Kelly for one year of Machado
    What do you think?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sign me up for sending them both. I like Kelly but he’s blocked by Yadi and Knizer is coming on strong. Sure, it’s only one year of Machado but it would set the tone for a heck of a year, for sure.

Participant

Free

I think to give up both Kelly and Hicks, I would also want the two Rule 5 relievers (left-hander Nestor Cortes and right-hander Jose Mesa) Baltimore just picked up coming back as well

Rule 5 picks

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 399 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years