Manny Machado thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Manny Machado thread

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 399 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One would think this would mean Manny isn’t going to the Yankees.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In a market connected with reality, Machado and Harper are guys who get deals between the Heyward and Price deals. So…mid-upper 20s of AAV for 8 years. That’s a good chunk of change still, but something like 8 years and $200-220 million.

In the warped sense of value that these agents seem to be pushing, maybe they get $300 million but it doesn’t seem logical. There are guys without the character or performance flaws coming onto the market in the next three years that are worth the $300 million plus mark…Arenado (if he has a big 2019), Betts and Trout for sure in 2020, Lindor and Bryant, possibly Seager and Correa in 2021.

Put it this way…if Ozuna rebounds and has a 5 win season in 2019 (which I think is possible), would you pay even 6/$180M for him at 28 vs 10/$300M for these guys at 26 if you’re a smart GM?

Ozuna Hypothetical 2017-19: 5.1, 2.7, 5.0 (fWAR)

Machado 2016-18: 6.3, 2.6, 6.2 (fWAR)

Harper 2016-18: 3.0, 4.8, 3.5 (fWAR)

Machado may be a top 10 overall MLB player but it’s close and a lot of his value is in defense, which of course is tricky as he ages. Harper would be better off taking the best one year deal he can get and hoping to put up another 2015 season to score that huge deal.

I’m now of the opinion that the most I’d offer either is 8 years and $220 million, and leave it at that.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Ozuna puts up a five win season in 19′ I’d make a Q-offer and hope he declines it. I don’t want him long term.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Ozuna puts up a five win season in 19′ I’d make a Q-offer and hope he declines it. I don’t want him long term.

I don’t think I would either. I was just making the point that you could make a good case that Ozuna would fall between Harper and Machado in value with a good 2019 and no one in their right mind would say he’s a $30 million AAV player on a long term deal.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Finally, the mystery team has appeared. I had been wondering why they don’t want to win… 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stl

Participant

Free

I totally agree! Take the pick from the QO offer, make O’Neill the starting LF in 2020, and use the unused money to bring back Goldy and sign Arenado.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

If they’ve only given him a 7 year deal, couldn’t we look into that? A 7yr/210M deal isn’t too bad for an elite, young player like Machado.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I admit that I am a traditionalist, but if a guy admits he does not want to hustle right before becoming a free agent and then tries multiple times to injure opponents in the post-season, I don’t want him on my team, especially for the next 7-10 years. There is more to the game than just good stats and a nice contract, IMO.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian milling about at 4am……that’s a first.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good morning, Pugs. Early flights to Florida today. Instructional camp, then Winter Warm-Up, then Hall of Fame meeting. A busy week ahead.

Participant

Very lucky guy!…

Participant

Free

Rather Cards get their brains working and just go sign Harper!

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll be glad when Machado and Harper both sign so we can stop talking about them. The Cardinals aren’t signing either which is what I predicted many months ago. I knew we would talk about them all winter but I guess there isn’t much else to talk about. Unless we want to debate who our third best player will be at Johnson City this year? :o)

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Gscott, I opened to the forum and saw the Harper and Machado threads at the top and was going to post the exact same thing. They dont seem like they are on the Cardinal radar anymore or even that of any division rival so I dont understand the obsession.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll be glad when Machado and Harper both sign so we can stop talking about them.

Yeah, but it’s nice to dream. This is kind of like buying a lottery ticket in that you know darn well that you’re not going to win, but just knowing that you have a chance gives you hope and pleasure……until those numbers are drawn, or in this case when Harper signs with Philly and Macho Man with the ChiSox.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow, that’s a far cry from what it was expected that he would get. Who’d have thought that reason might prevail in this free agent craze??

Participant

I’ll be glad when Machado and Harper both sign so we can stop talking about them.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Heyman disagrees with Olney.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The agent fires back at the rumor mill…

(I included the Spanish tweet just for Pugs.)

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Well, I’m onboard with the minimum salary offer. Might even go 10+ years at that AAV 🙂

Participant

The Spanish comment is right on point.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

In times like this I wonder if Lozano tries to persuade owners and GMs with prostitutes or has them duke it out for his client.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 399 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years