Manny Machado thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Manny Machado thread

Viewing 24 posts - 376 through 399 (of 399 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Gscott, I opened to the forum and saw the Harper and Machado threads at the top and was going to post the exact same thing. They dont seem like they are on the Cardinal radar anymore or even that of any division rival so I dont understand the obsession.

CC,
    Who needs Harper when you got Dexter Fowler?

r/Rat

PadsFS
    Participant

Machado at $25-28M AAV for his age 26-33 seasons is a heckuva bargain. This is a guy that puts up 6.0+ WAR seasons with elite power and elite 3B defense. It’s unreal that he is getting passed over by so many teams with a clear need.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“…if a guy admits he does not want to hustle right before becoming a free agent and then tries multiple times to injure opponents in the post-season, I don’t want him on my team, especially for the next 7-10 years. There is more to the game than just good stats and a nice contract, IMO.”

I am forced to concur with the above quote from Mr. Walton, Pads.

Machado’s October antics went way beyond poor sportsmanship. Relative to the standards of his sport, he frankly behaved like a lunatic — in the playoffs, on national television, several times. In my opinion there’s something fundamentally wrong with him, as a human being. Maybe morally, maybe ethically, maybe emotionally or psychologically. But something ain’t right.

For me the most interesting questions about Machado do not center around “Who will sign him, and for how much?” The real question is, has he been behaving like this throughout his career, kicking, grabbing, stepping on people? If he has, then how has it been kept such a secret? And if not, then why on Earth did he choose the highest possible profile setting to display his bizarrely dangerous behavior? Either way, something ain’t right.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dont forget throwing bats at third basemen. So yes, his radical behavior has a history.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Uh oh. The Union is coming after Heyman!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting “game within the game” that I had not thought much about…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Looks like he got the magic numbers after all.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess money talks but he is pulling a Robinson Cano here by going to a team that has no chance of winning anytime soon and a team no one thinks about. Weird.

NJ315
    Participant

He played for the Orioles he is used to losing but now he gets paid handsomely for it. Who knows the Padres maybe good enough to win in a few years.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Padres come to Busch for the home opening series. I hope Goldy wears ankle guards covering first base. Then again, it is just a regular season game, so maybe Machado will not be trying all that hard. Good luck to the Padres with that contract!

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Padres have a great farm system. They have shown a willingness to sign FA’s. I dont think they are that far off from being competitive.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Padres do have a good farm system, but I’m not sure the organization has ever really show the ability to foster talent. I’m guessing they offered a hefty premium for Manny to come there, like $30m+ over what other franchises offered.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Their pitching is not as promising as their offense, in my limited understanding. I am reading that Machado has an out after five years (2023) and other details like no-trade are not finalized one way or the other.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well Mr.Sherman maybe not everybody like the NY attitude.Arrogant and obnoxious to go along with loud.

1982 willie
    Participant

well good for him. im not a big fan of him especially after his hustle comment but to be fair, I see a lot of guys just as lazy going to first base, maybe they weren’t as honest as he was if somebody said something about it. the padres have a decent thing going, im just not sure they have the people in charge to make it happen. I think hes chasing the money but I don’t blame him. hes taking care of himself and his family and hes getting to play the best game in the world. plus if he does help them win more, its icing on the cake. im glad to see the padres making the effort, a lot of teams can learn from them.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

According to Rosenthal, the White Sox offered more per year and opportunity to earn $50 MM more in two fewer years. Instead, Machado went for the guaranteed money. What do you think about that?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Was it guaranteed money or not wanting to play for the White Sox that sealed the deal?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The guarantee seems to be the big thing.

While the Padres may never be a big winner, getting paid a guarantee of $300M to live in the city with the best weather in the world isn’t a bad gig.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The Pardes are the White Sox of the NL, except their farm system is more advanced and they have 7 prospects in the top-100 that have ETAs of ’18/’19/’20, plus three others after 2020. The organization’s challenge is to get at least some of them into the MLB successfully.

Considering their present day roster there should be room for the prospects to get serious looks and then to replace the mediocre San Diego players. They could be a major force in the NLW by 2020. If this means anything to Machado isn’t known, but is not Miami he signed on with.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NY…have the Padres ever been successful at anything? Ha ha.

I’ll believe they have turned the corner when I see it. That organization has been poorly run forever.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

According to Rosenthal, the White Sox offered more per year and opportunity to earn $50 MM more in two fewer years. Instead, Machado went for the guaranteed money. What do you think about that?

It’s pretty easy to prevent Manny from vesting the $70m 2year extension when you only have to keep him below 550 ABs for his last year. Just window dressing.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

So did the Pads promise Machado he could play SS?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 24 posts - 376 through 399 (of 399 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.