LHP Jordan Montgomery acquired

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum LHP Jordan Montgomery acquired

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    PadsFS
    Participant

Burleson coming up soon would be the right call. Between him, Yepez when healthy, Donovan the the resurgence of Nootbaar and Dickerson, we should be fine in CF.

My guess is that Nootbaar holds down the fort until he cools off though.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

And that frees up a corner spot for a bat upgrade from Bader. 

Corner outfield spot for the quick rising Walker?

PadsFS
    Participant

I’m going to miss Bader personally, but he was getting close to free agency.

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yanks twitter says they also got a PTBNL or cash. Who the player is will obviously affect what we think of the deal. I wish I knew who was on the list!

I think greyghost’s point about Walker getting outfield time makes a great deal of sense. Add me to the “call up Burleson” group. And I, too, am wondering if it’s Hudson, not Pallante, to the pen.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Moises Gomez played a lot of center and looked rather Grichukarian, but they may feel like his bat is real. Gomez is a tough read because he just seems like he hits so many high outside pitches out of the park to left center. You think fly out off the bat, then goodbye.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson pitched 8 mlb IP last season and he’s at 101 IP now. Pallante is simply stretched out better for the final two months.
    I would like to see Hudson scaled back so shutting him down isn’t the conversation, and then hit it hard again next season.

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goold’s twitter says the PTBNL goes to the Yanks if Bader is not ready for playoffs.

Get healthy, Harrison!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Harrison goes home. Good for him.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Montgomery could show improvement coming to St Louis, and he already good.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Surprised the Cards could get a taker for Harry with him being out for awhile. Bader is a sound player – a bit like an outfield Tommy Edman, great defense with okay offense.

Definitely glad it was not O’Neill, as at their best O’Neill is a 6 WAR player. Bader cannot carry the power bat Ty has, and their speed and defense are comparable. But Ty has had trouble staying on the field.

Instead of adding an outfielder (Soto), we get rid of one. Carlson has looked like he was made to play center the last month. Kind of reminds me of how Andy Van Slyke took to center after we sent him to Pittsburgh.

PadsFS
    Participant

I like Montgomery. He’s always been a good pitcher and will be here next year.

That would give us a 2023 rotation baseline of Mikolas, Flaherty, Montgomery, Hudson, and Pallante with likely Wainwright back and Liberatore waiting in the wings. Plus backup options like Thompson, Woodford, Graceffo, McGreevy.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just hope that Montgomery doesn’t have a rough first month and have everyone turn on him like Matz. We are basically trading for Matz as their stats are very close the last few years.

bccran
    Participant

Bader may have worn out his welcome with his antics and the fact that he was a rarity in going all the way to the arbiter in arbitration. But as jj said, Bader gets to go home to New York. Good for him.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can see how Bader’s antics could bother some people. When CMart did his antics, I hated it and I wished he’d get traded. I’ll miss Bader’s trilling defense. I’m guessing that the Yankees were the ones that initiated this trade. Bader could be a real difference maker for the Yankees in the 2022 playoffs.

bccran
    Participant

Good fit. NYC is famous for outstanding theater.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s ironic that Montgomerys first Cards game will be against his old team, maybe Friday.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Carlson goes down we have a problem, but I can live with the various potential fill ins.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trickle down effect:

Carlson becomes the everyday CF’r. This Bader/Montgomery trade should help explain management’s unwillingness to trade away Carlson.

Over 162 games Carlson will now gain 1.0 war, just from the position change (Rpos).

Rfld is how well players play their position.

Rpos acknowledges each positions difficulty as the defensive spectrum does.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well I hate to see my favorite player go but he’s going to the only other team in MLB that I care about so it ain’t so bad. I wonder why you would trade a healthy pitcher for a player with the plantar fasciitis he’s got. Kind of unusual. Maybe there is more going on here than we know. With the Cardinals really not making any serious moves to try to win a championship, bader and carpenter may get there themselves. Yankee fans are gonna love bader if he’s healthy.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

My guess is the already have the player pool selected. It sounds more logical that they add a kicker on the deal for playoffs.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Montgomery is a better pitcher than Matz and younger. But hope they both do great.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Montgomery’s July saw 2x increase in walks. I hope it means nothing.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Montgomery and Quintana two solid lh starting pitchers.

Nothing spectacular but if this takes pressure off the bullpen it could very well equal more wins.

At least these two aren’t 37-39 years old like Lester, Happ, and LeBlanc were, lol.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I actually like this acquisition a bit. Bader provides value and we will miss his defense, but it’s soft value that is probably not irreplaceable. Carlson isn’t very good in CF but there is time for him to grow a little, or perhaps move the speedier O’Neill or Edman there eventually.

Montgomery should be a solid rotation piece for this year and next. It doesn’t move the needle a ton, but he’s better than the guys we have right now at the end of the rotation.

For Bader, he gets to go back to his NY roots and probably win some playoff games if not a World Series.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I had Bader pegged tô be the next tô sign a long term deal. Oh well.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.