Reliever Roulette

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Reliever Roulette

This topic contains 139 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Avatar RememberDiz 1 year ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bowman has to go when Lyons returns.

Amen

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mild criticism of reliever roulette.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I haven’t seen anyone really address this (so I apologize if I missed it somewhere), but Dominic Leone appears to have a very serious injury. It appears to be far more serious than originally thought.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/cardinals-dominic-leone-out-indefinitely-with-nerve-damage/

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Former Cardinal pitcher Josh Lucas had a heck of a game tonight:

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those who were clamoring for Edward Mujica, you should probably back off that idea. He has been pounded multiple times this month, charged with 16 runs, 12 earned, in 7 2/3 innings for a May ERA of 14.99.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He has had two really bad outings this year and both within the last week. Gave up 4 runs at Colorado Springs and 5 at home against OKC. The Colorado Springs game was not unusual since that is a launching pad. The home game is not as easily explained. His overall ERA is now 6.27 after being under 2 a week ago.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, allowing runs in four of six appearances and giving up 19 hits in 7 2/3 innings for a .463 batting average is not encouraging. Only one of the 19 hits left the park, and it was at home.

Also, Lyons’ Springfield rehab has officially ended, so I assume he will be reactivated Friday.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Mujica was abysmal in that game against OKC. He actually gave up 7 runs, 5 earned in that game. Here’s the game log. It was like watching a train wreck…as horrible as it was I couldn’t turn my eyes off the game:

Henry Ramos starts inning at 2nd base.

Donovan Solano reaches on a fielding error by shortstop Alex Mejia. Henry Ramos to 3rd.

Jacob Scavuzzo singles on a line drive to left fielder Rangel Ravelo. Henry Ramos scores. Donovan Solano to 2nd.

Danny Espinosa flies out to center fielder Oscar Mercado. Donovan Solano to 3rd.

Travis Taijeron doubles (7) on a line drive to left fielder Rangel Ravelo. Donovan Solano scores. Jacob Scavuzzo to 3rd.

Jake Peter singles on a ground ball to center fielder Oscar Mercado. Jacob Scavuzzo scores. Travis Taijeron scores.

Breyvic Valera homers (4) on a fly ball to right field. Jake Peter scores.

Tim Locastro singles on a line drive to center fielder Oscar Mercado.

Pitching Change: Mike O’Reilly replaces Edward Mujica, batting 9th.

Kyle Farmer homers (1) on a fly ball to left field. Tim Locastro scores.

Henry Ramos singles on a ground ball to center fielder Oscar Mercado.

Donovan Solano grounds into a double play, shortstop Alex Mejia to second baseman Ramon Urias to first baseman Luke Voit. Henry Ramos out at 2nd.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thankfully Mujica isn’t being paid $14M.

Of course if we are being consistent we would say that a couple of bad outings is just something that happens and the player should be allowed to work through it, which is what is said about other players.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When is the last time we had A) an effective bullpen and B) a healthy bullpen? It seems several years, maybe when Rosenthal had 50 saves, and it looked like he finally “got it”. It seems like we have guys who have spells where they are very effective, followed by periods of mediocrity. I actually had high hopes for our pen when they signed Holland. Oh (no pun intended) well, at least they keep trying different people. We just have to get the right combination. And we still a lot of kids on their way.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Avatar Cardinals27.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And I wonder what will become of Rosenthal? Any chance we sign him? With our current starters, it would be pretty cool to have Rosenthal and Hicks pitch back to back? Even if it only for August and September? Maybe October too?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t mind bringing Rosenthal back next year on a one year deal. I haven’t heard if he will try to pitch this year or not.

We are going to have to bolster the bullpen before the deadline if we have any chance of further contention this year. I think Brad Hand would be a good fit.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lyons elbow sprain… and of course, Mayers is back again. I predicted it in my article when he was sent down the other day.

Lyons Next to Join Cardinals Disabled List

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think more and more nowadays the DL is just used to hide ineffective players. I predict another DL stint for Cecil soon.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Finding good bullpen help is harder than we may think…

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Juan Nicasio has an ERA approaching 6 as well, although that’s a bit of homeritis. Addison Reed is up near 4. Not a great year for free agent relief additions.

Bud Norris is probably the best of the entire group.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

“it’s hard to blend with guys when they’re in and out, in and out.”

I felt that this constant shuffling of relievers could be problematic when the club first announced they were going to do it. A successful organization in most any endeavor is usually one that is stable. When you are constantly changing personnel, it is tough to keep things positive.

The club looks at the shuffling like us sim players do – we can move guys all around and they will perform as they should. It does not necessarily work that way in real life though. Imagine working at a job where you are always being sent to different locales, different organizations, have different managers, changing routines, different co-workers, and trying to be successful with all that change. It’s not good for the person involved, nor his co-workers. In that respect, baseball is not much different than any other endeavor.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Crazy i didnt realize all 3 of those were struggling for the Rox

I still find it hard to watch the Rox and see how good Ottavino has become…I remember when we lost him that I thought it was a mistake that he needed another shot or two…not even necessarily as a starter if i remember right…but alas he goes and before and even after his injury and recovery he has turned into one of the premiere relievers

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If watching Ottavino hurts, don’t look at Kyle Barraclough’s stats for Miami this year – it will magnify your pain!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems as if the bullpen is finally doing better with Holland joining in. I don’t believe he was ready at the beginning of the season.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

The Barraclough trade doesn’t bother me since his numbers were awful in the minors and we got Cishek for the stretch run that year. That’s a trade I like them making.

Ottavino was lost to waivers I believe. And wasn’t it even worse, like they called him up, didn’t use him, and then had to send him down due to a roster crunch?

Holland and Cecil have been much better lately. I hope Leone is back soon to help out as well.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Avatar PadsFS.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still don’t trust Cecil in high leverage situations. If Holland keeps this up, he may get a closing or finishing chance(s). Mayers has pitched almost as well as Hicks and Norris, perhaps better than Norris at times.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Barrcloughs last 10 outings, 10 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 8 k’s, 6 saves.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another lefty bullpen arm.Nothing wrong with giving Webb a shot.With Layne and now Webb and Gomber could possibly give Cards a alternative in case Cecil draws interest from another contender and Lyons is unable to return.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years