Reliever Roulette

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Reliever Roulette

This topic contains 139 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Avatar RememberDiz 1 year ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

Keep Dreaming BW. Cecil isn’t going anywhere. No matter how much you pray for it!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mikolas has been placed on paternity leave with Bowman promoted from Memphis.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

A quick rules question: For maternity leave is it required a pitcher be replaced by a pitcher and a non-pitcher by a non-pitcher?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, CC, that is correct – but that stipulation is only for the post-season. During the regular season, it is like any regular DL move.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

So, if Shohei Otani were ever to go on paternity leave during post-season, who could replace him? 😉

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I feel very strongly both ways! 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is the paternity list new this year? I don’t ever remember a year with so many players taking paternity leave. It seems to happen to us when we play the Cubs.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mik is still supposed to play in the series with the Cubs..i dont see the issue or concern…in fact it ends up helping us a lot to haev an extra RP if needed

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Avatar thejager.
    Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Paternity leave started with the 2011 CBA. Not sure if it’s changed much since initially implemented, but like you gscottar, it seems like I’ve heard about it being used more this year.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Mik is still supposed to play in the series with the Cubs..i dont see the issue or concern…in fact it ends up helping us a lot to haev an extra RP if needed

This is true and something I thought about. Timing the delivery of those babies is important — needs to be right after a pitcher has started a game to get the extra arm on staff, LOL. I guess for this reason, the post-season rules disallow a starting pitcher to go on paternity leave after a start until three days elapse.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the answer Euro. Must be something in the water with all of the babies this year. So far we have had JMart, Fowler, and Mikolas.

I don’t think anyone raised a concern about Mikolas being on the list. I was just curious as to when this rule went into effect.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Mikolas apparently had twins – does that entitle him to six days of paternity leave? 🙂

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Today’s moves: Gregerson to DL, Webb to Memphis. Martinez and Shreve activated.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will Lyons still be arb eligible next season?

Does he go back on the 40 man?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I have a nice idea…activate Cecil straight to the DFA list.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I have a nice idea…activate Cecil straight to the DFA list.

I will second that motion

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Cecil is as good as anyone else in the bullpen currently, and if Carlos is going to the pen and Wacha comes back, I can’t imagine how Cecil has any value at all. He’d better be the pure mop up guy.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree. Cecil should never see the mound unless we are up or down by 10 runs.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is that Webb is packing his bags. Also Adolis Garcia.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

looking at the bullpen…and our rotation… our staff…

other than our two lefties in the pen …Shreve and Webb (probably soon to be Cecil instead of Webb i’d guess)…

the rest of our staff are starting pitchers or recently converted starting pitchers…it is an interesting tactic several teams have been toying with the last couple years, but at this level i am not sure i have seen anyoen do it…

that “glut” of high quality starters at AAA has turned a problem in to a devastating tactic

Norris
    Hicks
    Ponce
    Mayers
    Hudson
    Ross
    Gomber

Cecil/Webb
    Shreve

Weaver
    Mikolas
    Flaherty

It makes me wonder if that tactic is what Shildy has been able to hang his hat on…having so many multiple inning high end starter types with multiple pitches for Yadi to help carve up batters allows Shildt to pull starters early and not kill us the following day

MM didnt have these kinds of options …he was stuck with reliever only types Lyons, Tui, Holland, Greger, etc etc…i think Shildt is doing a great job but i do think MM had to make do with what he was given for the pen…this new pen is shildt’s and he is running with it’s ability…kudos to him…but i do wonder if MM coudl have done the same if given it

High end starters as relievers is a bold tactic and takes advantage of what the Cardinals farm is good at producing…capable big league starters/pitchers…using them in the pen could be seen as a waste of talent..and maybe it is to a degree, but for right now it is working really well to shore up the rotation and give bullpen depth…depth not just in numbers of innings but quality of pitches…

At the moment we could roll into the playoffs with a 3 man rotation (Weaver/Wacha as 4 for the longer series)
    Mik, Jack, Wacha/Weaver

and follow it up with a crazy bullpen of high end converted starters with a few lefties to do the matchup work…this allows us to pull a starter earlier and not skip a beat going to the pen for innings and quality…

Norris, CMart, Hicks, Hudson, Ponce, Gomber, Mayers, Webb, Shreve…Brebbia/Cecil/Leone

that is intimidating and effective group of pitchers….now all we have to do is get to the playoffs…

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I would keep Webb over Cecil. Cecil should be DFA’d, or kept in Memphis until the September roster expansion. The only value he has is in one of those blowouts, where he can spare the embarrassment of using Greg Garcia for an inning or two on the mound.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Garcia makes sense. O’Neill is clearly the better player. Webb and Cecil may be a coin toss, although Webb has pitched well for St Louis. Cecil has completely lost his ability to strike anyone out. It sure seems like age related decline, although maybe he has a renaissance. At least we’re two weeks from expanding rosters where he hopefully won’t pitch in anything short of those 10 run romps.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinalsâ„¢ and their minor league system for 20 years