Reliever Roulette

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Reliever Roulette

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Participant

yes Webb and Garcia should be packing

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would keep Webb over Cecil. Cecil should be DFA’d, or kept in Memphis until the September roster expansion. The only value he has is in one of those blowouts, where he can spare the embarrassment of using Greg Garcia for an inning or two on the mound.

Exactly.

It is all about the contract. There is absolutely positively no other explanation for Cecil to sniff the active roster. If we lose a game because of that **** contract there are going to be some incensed fans.

Participant

Matheny would have never brought in Hudson in for high pressure situation he would have stayed with Norris. Matheny is gone. What he could have done or not do with the new bullpen is irrelevant. This team has stability sorely needed. Carp plays first, Wong plays second, Gyorko plays third unless they have a day off. No more Carp at third or second. No more Gyorko at second. Martinez plays RF. The team’s energy level is as high as I have seen in it in along time. Change has brought good things. The revamp of the bullpen and the removal of the manager are both factors in the resurgence.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Harsh comment on Cecil, Mike. But I totally agree with you. Maybe the upside to bringing Cecil back is that if they can get a decent outing or two out of him, they might be able to unload him next offseason. Better still, why not try to pass him through waivers? The Dodgers or Nats might claim him. What a thrill that would be! Come on, MO!

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I send out Ponce instead of Webb. He is not getting any work at the ML level. Give him 2-3 AAA starts until Sept first. Garcia never should have been up in the first place. Massive waste of an off season 40 man roster spot.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The current Memphis rotation:

Ellis
    Herget
    C Jones
    Warner
    Woodford

Not exactly the same as the group that started the season:

Flaherty
    Hudson
    Gomber
    Poncedeleon
    Gant

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s amazing that we have the pitching depth, and that we are still in the playoff picture. How many other teams could have survived these injuries?

Participant

Paid - Annual

i forgot about gant too… yikes

as for who goes down for Cecil and ONeill

IMO it should be Shreve and AdGarcia

but i have a feeling it will be Webb and AdGarcia

I have been impressed with Webb..Shreve’s homeritis seems to be following him…i kind of lean to webb

and we arent DFA’ing anyone with 2 weeks to expanded rosters and potentially the offseason..if they were going to DFA Cecil they would have done it already

I will hate it if Cecil costs us a game too, but the team is trying to recoup money on that contract and seems willing to give him the offseason to get right for next year to be useful…. we may have to just deal with him in the pen for a few weeks…and to be honest the pen hasnt been worked too heavily and the long arms they have have really helped with that..i think we may not need him anyways…plus it might mean getting Ponce more work…which is a good thing…so if Cecil takes the Ponce unneeded RP role for 2 weeks getting Ponce more work i am fine with that

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Relievers are so weird anyway. Not that it will happen but there’s a chance Cecil goes back to being a solidly above average reliever next year, which is basically what he was last year. In that case his contract is paying for itself.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Shreve can be sent down. Isn’t he out of options?

Participant

Paid - Annual

STARTERS
    Mikolas
    Flaherty
    Gomber
    PICK TWO – THIRD TO BP
    Gant
    Ross
    Weaver- day to day

COMING BACK
    Wacha-late Aug
    |||||||||||||||||||||||

BULLPEN
    Norris
    Hicks
    Poncedeleon
    Mayers
    Shreve
    Webb

COMING BACK
    Cecil -mid Aug
    Brebbia-???
    Wainwright-Sept
    CMartinez-Aug???
    Leone-mid Aug

Too many decision to be made before Sept.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If you were Shildt and had this much riding on each game would you really trust Cecil enough to put him in a meaningful game the last six weeks of the season? I know that I wouldn’t.

And to think there is any realistic way for Cecil to ever justify his contract is being wildly optimistic to put it kindly.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Another possibile move when Cecil is added is Weaver to the 10 day DL.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The best move would be to stall Cecil until September 1. He could then be activated but we wouldn’t have to use him in a game due to the expanded roster.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When asked about Cecil the other day Mo said something to the effect of “I don’t usually try to fix something that isn’t broken but I do feel that he is ready to perform better.” (paraphrased)

Our bullpen has been lights out since the big shakeup so naturally we bring back one of the main culprits of the previous disastrous pen and send out a guy who had yet to give up a run with us. I have to shake my head at this one.

Participant

Because Cecil had a talk with Chris Carpenter about the mental part of pitching and he feels that will make a big difference. Hey if Bader helped DeJong hitting woes maybe this will work too.

Participant

Paid - Annual

sometimes a bad bullpen makes all parties bad…perhaps all the negative play before Cecil went on the DL was bad for his play getting better

perhaps in a healthier bullpen he will figure it out….sometimes confidence is the thing that is missing, and knowing you have others that will help lift you up sometimes is all you need to go out there and perform

if i remember right, last year once Rosy started to shine and the pen started working itself out of it’s early season funk, including Cecil’s issues, Cecil started to turn it around a bit and ended up with a decent overall season.

maybe the same thing will happen now too? the pen is mighty right now

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Matheny was always trying to prove Cecil was a valuable piece in the pen. Considering the pitchers in his pen, it was hard for me to blame him.

Eventually Mathenys options were DFA’d, released, traded, demoted and DL’d, along w/him.

Now the Scildt pen can just wait for appropriate mop-up duty and give Cecil a few batters.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m too much of a pragmatist to rely on hoping that Cecil has suddenly resurrected himself from the trash heap of the last two years. We are in a playoff race! This isn’t the time for wishing and hoping. Let’s go with what works!

Participant

Free

NJ315

Matheny would have never brought in Hudson in for high pressure situation he would have stayed with Norris. Matheny is gone. What he could have done or not do with the new bullpen is irrelevant.

Matheny never brought in highly ranked starting prospects in high pressure bullpen situations…except Hicks in 2018, Reyes in 2016, Wacha, Martinez, and Siegrist in 2013, and Miller and Rosenthal in 2012. Short memory imo. Schildt is cut from the same cloth.

Participant

Did I say anything about high ranked prospects? Let me make it easy for you Matheny would have stayed with Norris no matter what because he was the closer. Better now?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Holland is out from under the tutelage of MM, and hasn’t given up a run in his 5 outings with the Nats. Could the same happen with Cecil?

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Holland had a stint with the Cards where he went 6.2 IP in 8 straight games without giving up a run. Then he gave up 5 runs in 0.2 IP. He’s a ticking time bomb.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

There is some twitter talk of weaver joining the pen and ponce taking his rotation spot.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years