Reliever Roulette

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Reliever Roulette

This topic contains 139 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Avatar RememberDiz 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Proper roster management aided in getting a win today. Good job by Gant.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Great move by Mo!

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Gant down Mayers up tomorrow?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC made the correct prediction on today’s roster move, which is why I renamed this thread to be more generic.

With Flaherty coming up Saturday, Mayers had better not unpack.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mayers back down tomorrow, Flaherty up, Sunday, Flaherty down, Brebbia up. Ha ha, wow.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, Brebbia would not be eligible to return on Sunday. (I think Flaherty could be around longer, anyway.)

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Cards667
    Participant

Free

Plus Tuivailala is on rehab right now. If they need a reliever they could co that way, but it does probably means 8 man pen is going to be back soon and O’Neill will be going back for regular AB.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gomber up, Flaherty down.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At first glimpse, this seems to be a strange move. However the shortage of lefties in the Card’s bullpen puts another Redbird starter in a reliever role (also Gant). The MEM rotation has been put on its’ head in trying to keep up with the demand by the big club. I’m not sure if Gomber was expecting this to be his dream MLB debut and as the “long man” may not even get into a game before he is sent back as Tuivailala returns.

Springfield is also down one starter with two DLed and O’Reilly sent up from PB. PB’s starter last night, Shew, left his start after 3.1 and had just thrown a wild pitch. I haven’t heard a report on that. Jake Walsh is an option to be moved up, or Austin Sexton/Andrew Summerville from EST.

Memphis has already had two bullpen starts this week (Thurs.-Sat.) and one on the 19th (2nd game of DH), and yet another possibly today. Their bullpen is stretched thin. Another reliever, Herget is now scheduled to start a game either Monday or Tuesday before Poncedeleon’s turn comes up.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Specifically, Herget had been scheduled to start for Memphis on Monday, but that could be moved up to today given the loss of Gomber. We shall see.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Its ridiculous they need a 9-man bullpen simply because guys can’t get their jobs done. Holland is not the closer…Norris is! Gregerson has allowed runs to score in 3 of his 5 games and has only looked good in only one of those games. Something has to give.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Shew most likely left the game early because there was an extended stoppage in play due to a power failure. He pitched up until the power failure but did not return afterwards.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks CC for that. I thought he might have injured himself on the WP. His prior start he only went 3.2 but his first three starts were gems.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t mind seeing Hicks join the reliever shuffle, although he could probably use a month or so in Memphis to work on control and missing bats. He’s a disaster waiting to happen with that K-BB ratio.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I really don’t like all of this pitcher shuffling, as I think for all of the supposed advantages of having “fresh arms”, it really screws up a guy’s routine. Plus the Memphis club is put under a lot of stress managing their staff.

It is one of those things that sounds like it would work in theory, but as we have talked about here on occasion, we are dealing with people, not machines.

Usually the best way to go is for a club to have a steady roster, and steady lineup. Edmonds was talking the other day about how players are okay with changing batting order spots, but you really prefer a steady place in the order. Matheny tends to move guys all over.

This pitching jockeying is the another example of that. You got guys coming in and going out several times a week, different batting orders almost daily, and there is just no sense of order. It communicates sort of a panic, where “we have to do something!”.

Well, that is my opinion anyway. But then as most everyone knows who pays a little attention to my posts, I have always subscribed to the thought that you take your most talented players and let ’em play day in and day out, with the occasional day off here and there. Over-managing is usually counter productive.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont think any chaos caused in Memphis is of great concern. Besides not being the primary goal, that team is probably plenty good enough to withstand the challenge.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

According to MILB.com Helsley is pitching for Memphis. SO no bullpen game.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So, Wainright looks to be back, unless they start Gomber in his spot.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would like to see Gomber start, but maybe not against the Cubs.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not official yet, but it looks like Brebbia up and Leone to DL.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years