Free agent Steven Matz

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Free agent Steven Matz

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thompson may not be ready this season. But if he pitches well at Memphis and we have some injury issues in St. Louis, you never know.

Of course we can never know. I personally hope he pitches so well that he is an obvious rotation piece at some point. It seems likely that he’s behind Liberatore, Woodford, Oviedo and maybe Rondon in the likelihood of being a fill in starter, at least before mid season. Hopefully those guys are showing themselves ready to handle the innings and provide a stable rotation going forward. There’s potential there for sure.

Still, it wouldn’t be an insult if Thompson is a reliever late in the year, or even a reliever long term. The Cards will make that decision at some point based on what’s best for the team. He will definitely start until that decision needs to be made, though.

bccran
    Participant

Very true, 25. The first thing he needs to do is cut way down on his walk rate. He was fine at Kentucky, but had problems at AAA.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have signed Matz. 4 years, and $44 million.

DangerZone
    Participant

Free
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t say that I love the signing, but I don’t hate it either. I’m not sure that Matz is that #3 we are looking for, but he’s an OK option for #5 in the rotation. The four year deal is a little scary, and I’d prefer Gray over him for around the same money. Still, the money is not huge…$11M a year shouldn’t bog up the payroll too much and worst case, he can probably be moved to the pen.

I wonder if that’s it for free agent pitching for Mo this off-season?

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Cardinals sign ex-Blue Jay lefty to 4 year deal

Ok, that should scare some people but I pushed for Matz from the beginning of offseason and expected him to take home more cash. I expected him to sign for 3/45 so getting an extra year free (or for 3mil if incentives kick in) has to be good, right? I’m nervous but I do like the fact that despite not offering the QO, Toronto was reportedly seeking to re-sign him. Welcome to St. Louis Mr. Matz

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

One last comment: 2 weeks ago the word was we were looking at Heaney from the California Angels. He signed for 8.5 mil. I’d much rather have Matz at 11 than Heaney at 8.5.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

<quote>One last comment: 2 weeks ago the word was we were looking at Heaney from the California Angels. He signed for 8.5 mil. I’d much rather have Matz at 11 than Heaney at 8.5.</quote>

I agree with this for sure. Relievers are going for nearly this value, so this isn’t a bad deal. Still, I’m a little gunshy thanks to the last lefty we signed out of Toronto (Cecil). Hopefully Matz turns out a lot better.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Does anyone really believe the Cardinals would add Stroman or Scherzer, too? If so, please explain. Thanks.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t believe that they would, but it doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t. The rotation is paper thin and Matz is not really an innings eater. I’d be plenty happy with having more certainty with all of the injury risk we have.

I would expect that if they do sign a “starter,” it will be someone like Nick Martinez.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I believe the coyness directly feeds many fans to set unrealistic expectations. What happened to pragmatism? Guess that doesn’t have enough sizzle.

What one thinks they “should” do and what they probably “will” do are almost never the same. Reporters should focus on the latter. Fans can dream about the former.

To date, I’ve seen no reports that suggest the Cardinals will add two front-line starting pitchers this offseason. Doesn’t mean they couldn’t, but I think the odds are low (unless they trade one of the incumbents away).

The rotation is Flaherty, Wainwright, Hudson, Matz and Mikolas.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To be candid I am not a big fan of this signing. Matz has a fairly extensive injury history and even when healthy his numbers are very spotty. At best he is a number 4 starter and four years is way too long. This has Mike Leake written all over it in my opinion.

As for comparing Matz to Heaney it isn’t $11M vs $8.5M, it is $44M vs. $8.5M and four years vs one year. I would have preferred the Heaney deal.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I think they overpaid, but I don’t hate it. I like it more than signing Stroman. I’ve never been a fan and believe he’s going to be massively overpaid. If Matz can get 4/44 then I have no doubt Stroman will get a contract any team is going to regret soon.
    As far as Scherzer. I never thought he’d come to STL, as much as I’d love it. But the absolute only way now is if they were to somehow find someone to take on Mikolas contract, and I don’t see that happening.
    And I’ll agree, 1 year on Haney is better than 4 for Matz.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, that much is true. To be fair, fans set unrealistic expectations as a rite of passage into “real” fandom, lol.

Personally, I just want to see the best team on the field, as I’m sure most fans do. We all realize that the Dewitts have a right to make money, just as we have the right to spend our time, money and energy as consumers of the product that makes the owners and players quite rich. So it’s a give and take.

I’d still maintain that the rotation, though improved with this signing, has similar downside to the 2021 rotation.

Flaherty-hurt for half of 2021, should bounce back and be solid but not a given.

Waino-the old war horse, but at 40 is he really going to cheat father time forever?

Matz-solid mid rotation guy but his 2020 was baaaaad and he’s never pitched enough innings to qualify.

Hudson-missed almost all of 2021 with TJ, so you’d think he’d be a little limited.

Mikolas-hasn’t been reliable for two years and he was more a #4/5 guy in 2019.

Put it this way…that entire 5 combined for 488-2/3 IP in 2021. The Cards threw 1417 innings this year. That’s still a potentially large shortage of innings unless the health of these 5 improves quite a bit. To be fair, I think it’s likely that all of Flaherty, Mikolas and Hudson pitch more innings than 2021, but it could be offset some by Waino taking even a small step back (unless you see him pitching over 200 innings again).

Stroman or Scherzer give you something above 150 IP pretty much guaranteed. There’s a (big) cost though, which the Cards have shown in the past that they’re not very willing to pay. That’s why I still wouldn’t mind a trade for someone like Manaea from Oakland. He’s another durable starter, and he doesn’t walk many either.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For the record, Leake was five years, $80 million max. Matz is four and $48 MM. That is quite the difference.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The FO seperated “want” from “need”. Like us, they purchased what they need, knowing the roster has other issues.

There were higher quality starters available but the current “need” is GS/IP. Matz checks these boxes even if it’s at a league average quality.

Matz gets A. Miller money (AAV)

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Great pick-up.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

I’m not a fan of the terms, but Matz looked like their guy from the moment he wasn’t offered a QO.

I hope this means they go after another higher risk option as well though that could move to the bullpen, like Kim.

Nick Martinez seems like the guy but I really like Michael Lorenzen or Daniel Duffy too.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I’m neutral on this deal. Matz is another #5 type that they’ve added to the collection of #5 types. He also fits the oft injured nature of the rotation. He is far from a “frontline starter” but he can be serviceable. He could be ok overall if all things break well for the Cardinals.

The next moves will probably be a bullpen arm or two and a bench piece. As much as I’d love them to add another premium lineup piece, preferably at SS, that isn’t likely to happen. As for the current move it’s just meh ok to me.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To clarify, my use of the term “front-line starter” is a guy that will certainly be among the top five, enough so to push an incumbent out of the top five.

I believe Matz is that. If everyone is healthy, Woodford, Oviedo, Reyes, Hicks and the others won’t be in the St. Louis rotation.

I don’t think they will get another guy better than Matz. My guess is another Kim-like addition. If you recall at the time they signed him, they had no clear rotation spot so spoke of him being able to start or relieve based on needs.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Quote from PadsFS:

I hope this means they go after another higher risk option as well though that could move to the bullpen, like Kim.

Nick Martinez seems like the guy but I really like Michael Lorenzen or Daniel Duffy too. /End Quote

I wish we hadn’t seemingly burned the bridge with KK (although I couldn’t blame him for wanting to return home either) because Kim would actually be the perfect candidate.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For some reason the Mets (who traded Matz away) thought they had rights of refusal. They should have improved their offer when they could.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years