Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 733 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

I had no idea it was Wilfredo Tovar was on the Angels 25 man currently. Has he been in Anaheim for long because I swear I saw him a couple weeks ago and didn’t put 2 and 2.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

We can all hope Piscotty’s surgery permanently solved his problem.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jacob Wilson, who had been in the Nationals organization the last season and a half, has moved to the Lotte Giants in Korea.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Pham makes some good points, although he is stating the obvious. Big market teams will always have the advantage.

Pham’s take on things is usually on target, he just presents it in a very blunt way.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My take on Tommy is that his primary concern is his pocketbook instead of the team but that’s just me.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Lou Brock turned 80 today. When I first started watching the Cards as a youngster, he was my favorite with the way he ignited the team.

Participant

Free

Tommy has always played for one team: Tommy’s Team. He is prone to biting the hand that feeds him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Trevor Rosenthal was released by the Nationals.

Participant

Free

Well there ya go. Our replacement closer has just been released and is available for a dime or two. I think I would take Cecil as a closer before Rosie returns.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Rosenthal certainly had a rough go of it with the Nats. Five appearances in June after returning from the IL was all they needed to see. Just no command — before or after time on the IL. He walked all three batters he faced in the game yesterday, on a total of 15 pitches.

He’d be cheap this time, right? 😉

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

This guy could really rake.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bad DFA day for ex-Cardinals:

Shelby Miller by Texas.
    Zach Duke by Cincinnati.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Brian WaltonBrian Walton.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Shelby was with Texas.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, I was a year off, but I bet Arizona doesn’t want him back, either! 😉

Seriously, fixed now. Thanks.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I really missed on Shelby. I thought he would be a #1 or 2 starter for years to come. So did the D-Backs.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the Greg Holland we all remember.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1794060

Barring a calamity, the Diamondbacks were going to win.

A calamity ensued.

After quickly retiring Edwin Rios and Austin Barnes to open the ninth, Holland – a veteran closer who carried a sterling 2.33 ERA and 1.00 WHIP into Tuesday’s appearance – had Taylor on the ropes, too, getting ahead 0-2 with successive sliders that were fouled off. Then, Holland simply forgot how to throw strikes.

His next four pitches to Taylor badly missed the zone, putting the tying run at first base. Holland walked Russell Martin too, bouncing a 3-2 slider to end a seven-pitch plate appearance. The next hitter, Alex Verdugo, saw one strike – in a 3-0 count – before trotting down the line.

With the bases now loaded, Holland allowed a free pass to little-known rookie Matt Beaty on four pitches. Tie game.

By that point, Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo had seen enough. With National League MVP front-runner Cody Bellinger up next, Lovullo summoned left-hander T.J. McFarland from the bullpen.

It didn’t work. McFarland got Bellinger into a 1-2 hole but walked him too – nearly hitting him with his final two offerings – to plate the winning run. It saddled the Diamondbacks with one of the most gut-wrenching, disastrous losses of the season.

The defeat, in fact, was downright historic. It marked the first time in the live-ball era that a game ended on five consecutive walks with no outs occurring between those walks, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

“That’s unacceptable,” Holland told reporters, including MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert, following the game. “I don’t know. I don’t know what happened. I felt pretty good out there and then just completely lost command of the strike zone altogether. It’s just not acceptable.”

Not surprisingly, Holland’s performance ranks among the season’s worst for a relief pitcher. By win probability added, Holland’s outing was the 10th-most costly of any reliever. The three-time All-Star is also one of just 10 pitchers this year to issue four or more walks in an outing without completing a full inning. (And, it should be noted, one of the “pitchers” in that group is the Astros’ Tyler White, a position player called upon to mop up a blowout.)

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Free

Lance Lynn is still ‘the bulldog’ and his Ranger buddies appreciate it. Nice writeup on his July 4th game.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/lance-lynn-notches-11th-win-for-rangers

Participant

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Lynn is a guy I felt we should have kept. He was indeed a bulldog, and innings eater. At the same time, I was mildly shocked (if there is such a thing) that Lynn did not take the one-year $17.5M and give himself another year before hitting free agency. I felt there was no way he would get that kind of salary, so why not take it for a year and re-file again?

It would have put him another year past the TJ surgery as well.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I see the Lynn story differently.

Since Lynn didn’t want $17.5 MM for one year, the multi-year deal he would have demanded when testing the market would have ended up being a bad contract for the Cards. His initial asking price was rumored to be $100 MM over five years.

Remember that no team was willing to give him more than a year and he didn’t sign a contract until halfway through 2018 spring training. His ERA last season was 4.77 between the Twins and Yanks. I can just imagine the fan furor had the Cards given him four years and $56 million (MLB Trade Rumors’ prediction that winner) and he delivered a career-worst year, which is precisely what his 2018 was.

Instead, to replace him, the Cards signed Mikolas, who was cheaper and had a much better 2018.

Don’t get me wrong – I am happy for Lynn in 2019, but his 3.91 ERA isn’t as good as his best years in StL (back in 2014 and 2015) and he is now 32 years old. His leaving was the right move for the Cards. As a final point, they didn’t let him go – he gambled and lost.

P.S. Once Lynn’s sights were reset by the reality of the market, he took $10 MM per year from the Rangers (3/30).

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 733 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years