Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

This topic contains 693 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 6 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 694 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tommy Pham since his trade: .321/.415/.556 (166 wRC+)

NJ315
    Participant

Not a Pham fan but good for him.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

I hope we got value for him here. I hate trading a former 6-WAR player, that can still produce, away for nothing.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We knew the talent was there. If this is what it took to get Tommy unstuck, then this is what it took. I wish him the best.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

We traded way low on Pham. Even at that hard to believe we didnt get more. The only reason I and many others aren’t up in arms is because we are winning. If anytime during the next 3 years we are not winning and Pham is putting up the 3+ WAR season I expect him to do as a minimum, us second guessers will be out in force! (Note that I seldom second guess Mo!)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trading Pham opened up a full time spot for Bader which shouldn’t be underestimated. I have zero regrets about trading Tommy.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pete Kozma cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons.

CBRN weapons might not work either. Just flipping through random TV games and saw Kozma batting for the Tigers against the Indians. They said he was just called up today due to Iglesias going on the 60-day DL. Gotta be nice to get the big pay even for just a couple weeks. He struck out on 4 pitches in his first AB.

Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nice to see Rob Kaminsky back on the mound after missing the bulk of the last two seasons.
    The Indians are sending him to the AFL. Looks like he’s been pitching out of the bullpen
    at AA. Best of luck to him!

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good to see Kaminsky back. I did not like the deal for Brandon Moss, and thought the club would regret making that move. As it turned out, it really did not do much for either side.

As for Pham, he would have hit better here in the second half as well. There was no question his numbers would even out. I think the issue was his under-performance combined with the rant and the fact that Bader needed to play all pushed the momentum towards making a deal. And as I always say, whenever there is a degree of emotion involved in trades, you open yourself up to getting less value in return. We will just have to see if that happens here.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cabrera will be the key to assessing the Pham trade, IMO. If he can grow into being a dominating lefty, it would fill a huge need. I am less enthusiastic about Williams.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tommy Pham with two more homers today. Classic change of scenery move leads to a revitalization. Good for him but it’s shame he slumped so badly earlier in the year, as he’s a perfect #2 hitter in any lineup.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully for Tommy it will last. But sometimes, as in matrimony, when the honeymoon period expires, the real person springs forth…..and that’s not always a pretty sight. If Tommy is still sailing smoothly next year at this time, then we’ll know the transformation is complete….and then everyone is happy.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

No way we win the Pham trade based on stats. The only case to be made will be one of attitude and clubhouse issues — things that will be near impossible to prove or quantify.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There have been many players who have excelled post MM.

I always liked Tommy Pham. I’m glad he’s on his way to the financial security he has been seeking.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

NJ315
    Participant

All doing well in the AL. I can’t wait for the NL to have the DH. They are all good hitters less than great on defense. We had too many of those. We kept Martinez maybe keeping Pham was a better choice. I always liked Piscotty a lot but his trade has help him be a better player I am very happy for him. As for Voit we have Matt Adams!!! Who knows but by not having a DH in the NL trades like these will keep happening. Let’s be separate but equal bring on the DH! and the end of the day I will always blame signing Fowler. I hated it from day one and it has had horrible repercussions in the outfield and in making some of these trades.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Glad to see Piscotty rebounding after a tough year +. I am surprised by Voit. I am not suprised by Pham, at all. The Cardinals sold low on Pham and he will show that he really is an above average player. He may not be a wizard with the glove but he has a well above average bat.

TheLonelyBull
    Participant

Free

Another issue with the Pham trade is who gets cut or left unprotected because of the extra 40-man spot being allotted. Smartest move was to release Fowler and keep Pham. The return wasn’t impressive to begin with, but then associate it with two unfinished and seemingly not close players who will have to take up 40-man spots. Another player will be shown the door with no return who is likely as equal of a prospect as Cabrera or Williams. Just an incredible waste of value and talent. The seeming benefit of having Cabrera or Williams as opposed to other prospects already in the system is their handedness. So giving away Pham to flip some splits is basically what the trade amounted to.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham, Piscotty, and Voit are all doing well but it is foolish to think they would be putting up those same numbers if they were still here. Different levels of opportunity, different scenery, different vibe, all of those things can yield different results.

Also, if Pham was still here then Bader would be on the bench as 4th OF and his defense has saved us several times this year. Most people seem to forget that.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscott, I agree that they wouldn’t be doing the same here. Where they are currently playing, they are getting an opportunity to play through good and bad.

My comment about selling low is that we sold when his stats looked the worst. He is a better hitter than what his season stats were when he was here. I hope Cabrera is the difference maker on that trade.

Mrperkins
    Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Is Tim Cooney done? I know a shoulder injury is major but just wondering if he plans on trying to return or if he has gone the way of John gast?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This article mentions that Matheny could end up on the Giants staff next year and perhaps as manager by 2020. The connection being David Bell. (subscription required)

https://theathletic.com/546946/2018/09/25/firing-squad-giants-have-avoided-this-for-more-than-three-decades-but-the-axe-falls-on-gm-bobby-evans/

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for sharing that article. The assumption is that Bell is favored by the owner and will remain under the new GM. Based on the input from above and the sides, it looks as if that GM job could be a very tough assignment.

I guess Matheny’s scenario would be to become Bochy’s bench coach. FWIW, I felt from the day Matheny was hired by the Cardinals that they should also have hired a Bochy-like experienced manager to guide him as bench coach. At this point, I wonder if MM is too set in his ways to be open to learning from a future Hall of Famer.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cal Irvine is eight miles from Boras Corporation HQ.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years