Cubs thread

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 1,095 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To be fair, the Cubs have had more practice at being negative and sour than most…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shouldn’t the Cubs trade for pitching? An Arenado trade makes little sense on many levels.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Wow, guess this michigander goes against the grain!! St Louis Cardinals were the first team I ever liked when I started playing sports back in the early 1970’s!!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not too many teams represented there…I guess we are one of the “lucky” hated ones!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am surprised by Michigan, Iowa, and Mississippi.

Maybe the Tigers fans are still sore about 2006.

The Cubs have a AAA team and a lot of fans in Iowa.

The Cards used to have many fans in northern Mississippi. Maybe they have all switched to the Braves.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The map isn’t exactly accurate for many reasons. Southern Illinois is still Cardinals territory but you wouldn’t know it by looking at the map because they don’t split states. The same is true about northern Mississippi, western Kentucky and western Tennessee. I highly doubt Florida hates the Yankees and I never met anyone in South Dakota who hated the Cubs. South Dakota is Twins and Rockies territory so I don’t even know how the Cubs would fit there.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Most hated MLB teams by state (based on geotagged Twitter data)

More fake news.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, we are all talking about it, so apparently it’s gotten folks interested in it enough. Mission accomplished.

Feels a lot like the “this is the best (insert food, tourist attraction, etc) in your state” articles you see everywhere. People always end up arguing about it in the comments nonstop.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

R = rebuild… Hoyer doesn’t really answer, which is an answer in itself.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He referenced threading the needle, implying a desire to put a good team on the field this year while keeping an eye on the future. Sounds like the Cardinals.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, that was originally a Theo quote.

We should also never forget that NO TEAM is going to admit they are rebuilding. Not even the Pirates. Their primary goal is to sell hope and with it season tickets. So one must sort through the talk to try to determine what is really going on.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed. Listening to front office executives is a lot like listening to politicians. You are rarely going to get a straight answer.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We should also never forget that NO TEAM is going to admit they are rebuilding. Not even the Pirates. Their primary goal is to sell hope and with it season tickets.

For sure. Even casual fans of the Pirates realize that they aren’t even trying by now. Ha

The Cubs are certainly in a tricky spot. I don’t feel bad for them at all…hopefully they make all the wrong moves for the next 100 years.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is the opening:

Joanne DeVrieze, 95, died Jan. 19 at her apartment in a retirement community in East Moline, Illinois. Her obituary described her as a devout Catholic, a singer in the church choir, a volunteer at a local hospital and blood bank, a pinochle player and the “funniest old woman on Facebook,” despite never having gone on the Internet herself.

DeVrieze is survived by nine grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren “plus a coming attraction.” She lived, in so many ways, a full life. The final line of her death notice would be read far beyond the Quad Cities:

“Donations in Joanne’s memory may be directed toward the impoverished Ricketts family of Chicago, Illinois, for purposes of assembling a near-Major League-caliber bullpen, or to be dispersed per family wishes.”

The story itself is about increased investment in player development.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I always thought Illinois was 50/50 Cardinals and Cubs. Surprises me that maybe the Mets or Yankees are not the most hated team in the Land of Lincoln, or maybe the Brewers.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bryant and Harper always wanted to play on the same team so maybe it finally happens.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’m from central Illinois originally, and my hometown was almost evenly split between Cubs and Cards fans with very few White Sox fans. The difference is obviously the Chicagoland area, which is probably 65% Cubs and 35% White Sox, and this part of the state is about 85% of the entire population of Illinois.

So I’m not shocked by that, all Cubs fans don’t like the Cards more than they don’t like the Sox in a land slide. So in Chicagoland alone, that gets it close to or above 50%. If you drew a line across the Bloomington/Normal/Peoria/Quad Cities part of the state, I’m sure it would become the Cubs south of that line. The population south of that line is just extremely small until you get right around STL.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Classic who broke up with who going on in Chitown…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Beloved Grandpa Rossy will run a tighter ship than Merlot Joe, or so they think…

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 1,095 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.