Cubs thread

This topic contains 146 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 1 day, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pads, I misunderstood then. I thought those were buyouts they did at the end of this year. For buyouts that arent yet even done yet, I agree that makes no sense

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Cubs are bluffing. They will not let the winter go by without making a big move. They will either sign Harper or do a big trade or both. It is in Theo’s DNA to do something splashy despite the luxury tax ramifications.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Has anyone ever seen Joe Maddon and Howie Mandel in the same place at the same time? Put a baseball cap on that dome and he could pass for Joe. 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals2016

Participant
    Cubs rumored on Profar

Darn it!! That is who we should be after.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I like Profar too…but I’m not sure we would be willing to trade the legit prospects for a utility type player. Maybe the Cubs will trade Schwarber for Profar? The value is probably not terribly far off.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yet another Cubs coach snags a big-league managerial job – the last one open.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/brandon-hyde-named-orioles-manager/c-301734770

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If the Cubs get Tulo, I am guessing they would back out on Descalso, unless they have room for two reserve infielders.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

LOL – The Cubs almost moved!!!

When I first started this discussion, the Cubs wanted $200 million in taxpayer dollars. I said no. Then they said we’d like $150 million, and I said no. Then they asked whether they could have $100 million in taxpayer subsidies, and I said no. Then they asked about $55 million in taxpayer subsidies. I said no. The good news is, after 15 months they heard the word ‘No.’”

I just hate the thought of Tom having to grovel to this guy to put money into a building we already own.

I have been brought up to deplore the type of value system adopted by the Mayor of Chicago. This is stating it mildly.

THIS is why you don’t give welfare to billionaires!!!

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Even more

What gets me here is the entitlement.

Yep. Billionaires shouldn’t pay taxes, but taxpayers should fund their private businesses.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Descalso in… Tulo out.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s odd they traded La Stella only to turn around and sign Descalso. I guess they get some salary relief and the lefty from the Angels is nice given their abysmal minor league depth.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

One of the worst takes in the history of baseball.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mr. Rogers he’s not! I am thankful that neither Phil or Addison live in my neighborhood.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Considerable anger at the Cubs for their inactivity. Seems a problem for many teams’ fans these days.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

The entitlement that comes about from winning one World Series since the fall of the Ottoman Empire is amazing.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Would welcome Jed into the Cardinals organization some day.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know who Jon Tayler is but apparently he thinks the Cubs should have a $300M payroll. Ok.

bccran, I second the motion on Jed. He and Girsch would make a great FO combo.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I’ve never met Jon Tayler, either. He is a national writer for Sports Illustrated and the blue check mark means he has been vetted by Twitter, for what that is worth. But heck, they gave me one some time ago, too! 😉

P.S. This and some of his other articles make it clear he thinks pretty much all teams can afford to ignore the luxury tax. If so, it should raise the question why they don’t. Not hearing a peep from Tony Clark, who amazingly got a contract extension from the Players Association even after most outside observers felt the owners clearly won the last CBA negotiation.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Jed would be a lot closer to family in St. Louis.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jed would also be a lot closer to better educated baseball fans…..with class.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I hesitated to post this, but I hope we can talk about this responsibly. There are a lot of mixed and strong feelings about the Cubs standing behind Addison Russell after his domestic violence history. His current suspension runs into the start of next season.

Whether you agree or disagree, this looks to be another matter that could distract the Cubs.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Rightly or wrongly I am sure Russel’s on feild ability played in the decision. 5th outfielder would have been gone.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years