Cubs thread

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 574 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

I don’t think the Cubs will win again until they rebuild their pitching – both starters and BP.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Correct MM3. The Cubs have a better position player core but the Cardinals had the better rotation, bullpen, and defense last year of the two teams and still do in my opinion.

Participant

Free

I’ve said this a couple of times now… but it still makes me extremely happy!

In 2020, the Cubs will be paying $79M to Darvish, Lester, Heyward and Kimbrel…. $35 or so for Fowler and Carp doesn’t seem as awful when that’s considered!

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve said this a couple of times now… but it still makes me extremely happy!

In 2020, the Cubs will be paying $79M to Darvish, Lester, Heyward and Kimbrel…. $35 or so for Fowler and Carp doesn’t seem as awful when that’s considered!

That is true except the Cubs have a little more margin for error since they are willing to take their payroll about $40M higher than the Cardinals are.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another way to spin these numbers is that roughly 38% of the Cubs’ payroll is bad (79/208) while the Cards comparable total is under 21% (35/170).

Though to be fair, I would also throw in Cecil’s $7 MM, which would raise the Cards’ number to just under 25% (42/170).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

At a minimum I would have the Cardinals bad payroll at 28%.

46/163= 28 (Carp, Fowler, Cecil, Leake) And that is not counting questionable production from Yadi, Miller, and CMart).

But is really apples to oranges unless the Cardinals are allowed to spend that extra $40M like the Cubs are.

Participant

Free

Can anyone explain why it took going on five years to settle this grievance case?

Because there was no reason to litigate it if the two sides came to a contract extension agreement beforehand?

I mean, it does affect leverage in those discussions. And it affects value. But, as it turns out, those things would have artificially tilted in the player’s direction.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is true except the Cubs have a little more margin for error since they are willing to take their payroll about $40M higher than the Cardinals are.

They also have a number of guys they’d like to keep (from a baseball standpint6) that will cost huge $$ soon, making that extra payroll already spent.

Participant

Paid - Annual

They also have a number of guys they’d like to keep (from a baseball standpint6) that will cost huge $$ soon, making that extra payroll already spent.

The Cards are getting closer to that situation also with Flaherty, Hicks, and others arb eligible in 2021.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Now that Bryant’s situation is resolved the Cubs can get busy trading him.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards are getting closer to that situation also with Flaherty, Hicks, and others arb eligible in 2021.

Sure, but they’re still three years away and the only big deal likely to be on the books when those guys will get the big $$ will be Goldy. The Cards are in far better shape than the Cubs in many ways.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sure, but they’re still three years away and the only big deal likely to be on the books when those guys will get the big $$ will be Goldy. The Cards are in far better shape than the Cubs in many ways.

Perhaps but I would like to see what we could do with that additional $40M.

On second thought, maybe not. Mo doesn’t have the best of track records with big spending. Drafting and developing is his wheelhouse.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps but I would like to see what we could do with that additional $40M.

On second thought, maybe not. Mo doesn’t have the best of track records with big spending. Drafting and developing is his wheelhouse.

I doubt the Cards would ever put themselves on the edge of a tax threshold, anyway. Apart from anything else, the like to have some flexibility to make in season adjustments.

Participant

Free

<That is true except the Cubs have a little more margin for error since they are willing to take their payroll about $40M higher than the Cardinals are. >

That may be true but they sure aren’t showing it with new acquisitions.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So now that he knows that he wasn’t treated unfairly by the Cubs, does Bryant have to stop feeling misunderstood and unappreciated?

Boras is at the bottom of all of this. Nice to see him lose one. Too bad about all the damage he did to the Cubs because he didn’t get his way to begin with.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

atstc wrote:

Because there was no reason to litigate it if the two sides came to a contract extension agreement beforehand?

I mean, it does affect leverage in those discussions. And it affects value. But, as it turns out, those things would have artificially tilted in the player’s direction

I don’t get that there was no reason. Why would Bryant not want a prompt and positive resolution no matter what? All the delay did was extend the time he has to remain in Chicago, apparently against his preference. Reports are that he was not seeking an extension, and the delay clearly hampered attempts to trade him. Also, service time affects pension, among other things totally independent of a new contract.

Participant

Free

I was spit-balling. I’m not a fan of it being drawn out either. The service time manipulation is something players need to address in the next CBA. They can blame owners all they want, but they are responsible for the loopholes that they agree to.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That may be true but they sure aren’t showing it with new acquisitions.

I wasn’t talking about more margin for error THIS offseason. I am saying that in general a payroll of $200M can afford more mistakes than a payroll of $160M.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I doubt the Cards would ever put themselves on the edge of a tax threshold, anyway. Apart from anything else, the like to have some flexibility to make in season adjustments.

That is true in theory but when was the last time the Cardinals made many in season adjustments?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar asked:

That is true in theory but when was the last time the Cardinals made many in season adjustments?

Off the top of my head – John Lackey, 2014.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

You cant eliminate service time manipulation. You can only change the date that is manipulated.

Participant

Free

I just did a “mock fantasy draft” on ESPN. My hope has been that Gallegos will emerge as the main closer. For their 2020 projections, they have him at 70 IP, 88K’s, 3.21 ERA, 0.97 WHIP and 24 Saves. I’d take those numbers out of him for sure!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Every fan base has those who are really unhappy…

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 574 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years