Cubs thread

Viewing 21 posts - 576 through 596 (of 596 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some levity at the expense of the Cubs…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I guess that settles that debate…. :o)

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Boy, talk about an overly optimistic take on their botched offseason. Lol

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bryant to hit leadoff. That seems weird.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, Rizzo batted leadoff last year so I guess they are trying all options.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An especially bad week for former Cubs…

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of Beckert, I remember every time (it seemed) I saw him bat on TV, Curt Gowdy would talk about how difficult it was to strike him out. I just checked and his career K% was 4.36%.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe some of the present Cardinals should review a video or two of Beckert hitting. They might learn what contact hitting is all about.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Glenn Beckert was a solid player. He and Kissinger were a terrific second base tandem, and Beckert always seemed to move the runner along. Hit over .340 one year. Very good player.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been thinking about this too. We all know their window is going to bust after 2021 so losing 2020 would really sting. What a shame.

Participant

Free

bicycklemike:

Henry Kissinger was foreign affairs advisor to Nixon and later Secretary of State. Don Kessinger was the double play partner for Beckert.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Anybody buying this?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This whole matter of what revenue is and is not would scare the heck out of me if I was a player being offered revenue sharing.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If Epstein didn’t trade for Chapman, and then didn’t win a World Series for lack of a closer, he would never be forgiven. It would have gone down in the annals of Cubs history as another blown opportunity, another failure. Maybe Epstein should have found a better way. IMO, if TLR had his way all of the time, the Cardinals would have wound up with no payroll space and with a sorry looking system, too. I think Mozeliak, with DeWitt’s guidance, kept it from happening.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Good points mud although it is ironic that Chapman couldn’t close out game 7.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mud said:

…IMO, if TLR had his way all of the time, the Cardinals would have wound up with no payroll space and with a sorry looking system, too. I think Mozeliak, with DeWitt’s guidance, kept it from happening.

Remember that during the vast majority of TLR’s reign, Walt Jocketty was in charge. The primary focus was on trading minor leaguers to make the MLB team better. From all appearances, TLR and Walt were in lock step.

When DeWitt brought in Jeff Luhnow, the investments in analytics, scouting and international ball increased dramatically. The change this outsider brought led to conflict that ultimately cost Walt his job – just a year after the Cardinals won the World Series.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Good points Brian. I tend to look at the situation this way, and I may be incorrect, …

The immediate concern was to put a competitive product on the field when the DeWitt-led ownership group took over the franchise. Jocketty did an excellent job of upgrading the team and making the club a winner. Several outstanding trades (McGwire, Edmonds, Renteria), good free agent signings and a little luck (Pujols).

I credit the Cardinals leadership for recognizing things would have to change to build a sustainable and affordable winner moving forward. I hated to see Walt leave. However, teams were getting reluctant to trade with Walt if memory serves me correct. Further, the club needed to develop talent to replace players who move on or use in trades to improve the club. Leadership recognized that the trade or free agent markets may not always be there and a viable third option was needed.

I know many are frustrated by the post season drought the club experienced. However, few franchises can match the St Louis win totals from 2000 thru 2019 or 2010 thru 2019. Although frustrated, I must acknowledge the Cardinals have been one of the better run franchises over the past 20+ years or so.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 21 posts - 576 through 596 (of 596 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years