Cubs thread

This topic contains 470 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 day, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 451 through 471 (of 471 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think this is a legal issue either. From what I understand the Cubs followed the rules laid out by the CBA, even if it was shady.

Also, if Bryant is declared the victor in this proceeding won’t this open the floodgates for others? This type of service time manipulation happens ALL THE TIME. MLB and the owners could be in a pickle if that happens. I am sure this will be a big issue in the next CBA.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

All of those seemingly valid reasons are probably why MLB avoided dealing with Bryant’s formal complaint for almost five years. Something about holding the gold and making the rules…

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like the system would be improved for players if the cutoff was later on in the year. September call ups don’t cost the team but anyone else does. Of course, with the new rosters there won’t be that many callups anyway.

I agree that it’s more of an ethical issue right now. The Cards haven’t seemed to do it blatantly lately, but I’m sure it will come up with a guy like Carlson or maybe Gorman eventually if they are called up after starting the season in AAA. Of course, in a case like Carlson’s there’s a legit reason for him to start at Memphis unless he hits the cover off the ball in ST.

It’s all tricky but if it hurts the Cubs, I’m all for it. 😁 You’ve got to figure they’ve got next to no chance to keep Bryant once he hits FA anyway now.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards have never done service time manipulation, to the best of my knowledge. I know for a fact that they could have with Rasmus, for example, and did not.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have never done service time manipulation, to the best of my knowledge. I know for a fact that they could have with Rasmus, for example, and did not.

Oscar Taveras? It wasn’t cut and dried like the case with Bryant, but he was called up in late May.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

THe Cubs have had 55 managers.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Excerpts from my 2014 StL season recap:

Top prospect Oscar Taveras underwent ankle surgery in August 2013 and was only cleared to run as spring camp got underway. He then suffered a hamstring injury and was shuffled off to minor league camp. Moved to the outfield, Allen Craig said he had no lingering effects from the Lisfranc injury that hobbled him all fall of 2013. His later results would suggest otherwise.

With Taveras unable to compete, outfielders Stephen Piscotty and Randal Grichuk received extended looks in camp. Both performed admirably, with the former especially receiving rave reviews.

As May ended, Matt Adams went onto the disabled list with a calf injury, opening the door for Taveras to make his MLB debut. Though it was hoped the top prospect outfielder would catch fire immediately and lead the listless offense, it would not be the case.

Adams returned to the lineup mid-month (June) with the struggling Taveras sent back down to Memphis.

Taveras had been recalled on July 1, but again was only started sporadically and did not take off…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is a smart decision, IMO, and one I criticized the Cardinals for not doing the last two times they changed managers. Guys don’t have to come from the same book to be on the same page.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

With their returning roster, the Cubs payroll is projected to be around $200 MM. They were at $234 MM at the end of last season, second highest in MLB.

Theo is not talking about the payroll strategy. The MLB.com beat writer believes they will not be in on the top tier of free agents unless they make room by trading some current players away. Other articles have mentioned Bryant as a possibility.

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/cubs-mum-on-payroll-luxury-tax-discussion

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I think they try and re-sign Castellanos.

They could dump someone like Chatwood which I think they may do and eat salary. Also just DFA Russell. Schwarber may be on borrowed time IMO.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Is this the first year that Heyward can opt out of his deal? He won’t of course, as his value is below his current contract level.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, this is Heyward’s second chance to opt out. He could have done it last winter.

P.S. 2019 was his best year in four with the Cubs and he was still a below-average MLB hitter (98 OPS+, same as Fowler).

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More housecleaning.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mental skills director?
    Yoga instructor?
    Massage therapist?

Are they running a spa up there at Wrigley or playing baseball?

What would George Kissell think?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One would think they could hire just one qualified woman to handle the message therapist, yoga instructor and mental therapist responsibilities instead of 3 people…..maybe call it a “Mentayogager”. One would think $7 per hour per specialty, or $21 per hour should get you a halfway decent one. And yes, at the risk of sounding sexist, a woman would need to be hired, as I would not think any player would want a guy groping them for their message session…….but then again we are talking about the cubbies here, so maybe a male could be considered.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The article puts the Cubs’ bind into excellent perspective.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cubs’ third in command moves up to second with the Giants.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB.com’s Miami beat writer is reporting that the Marlins are “believed to be” interested in local boy Nick Castellanos. At a minimum, this may raise the price the Cubs will have to offer….

Viewing 21 posts - 451 through 471 (of 471 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years