COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 350 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

I am starting to think that we may not see baseball at all this year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Understanding where Tommy Pham came from helps to understand
    why he does what he does and says what he says.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I doubt the second spring training will be a month long. Owners will be anxious to get revenue flowing as quickly as possible. I bet what happens is closer to Mo’s earlier estimate of two weeks. One possible way to accelerate the start is to allow larger rosters until pitchers are ramped back up. That might help with players with injury concerns about pushing too hard too fast.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting to see how different players from Las Vegas are reacting to the current crisis…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have had that feeling for awhile now. I think we are looking at 2021.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that I can safely say that there won’t be any baseball in New York this season. I think that the NFL season may be in jeopardy as this cursed virus spreads. Where I live the cases have increased 12 times the number of just one week ago. I hope that what is learned about the virus in NY will reduce its spread in other areas.

The way things are right now, my wife and I plan to stay in our house for another 2/3 months. Its very serious around here. 60% of the cases in the U.S. are in the metro NYC area. I’m I worried about my life? You can bet your a** I am.

Participant

Free

Trump would love the country to begin it’s way back by Easter. I think he’s blowing smoke a bit but I’d say if they want anything but 100 game season they need to get cracking no later than Mother’s Day week on ST.

Not going to lie. NY is bad. California has a shade over 2,100 positive test. Illinois over 1,500 out of 11K+ tested. That’s about a 13% or so clip.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Tough to say right now. My wife and I are on the work-from-home plan. We had been looking at houses with a plan to possibly move in the next year or so, but have put that off indefinitely. Our house is paid off and we are quite comfortable here, so we are counting our blessings and if the time comes for re-location that will be fine, if not that is good as well.

If I recall correctly, the last time a baseball season was shortened due to a national crisis was 1918 and 1919. There has been some limited downtime during other events, like the MLK assassination and the 9/11 attack. But as far as closing the doors, the 1918 season ended early and I think 1919 started later than normal with about 140 games played.

Participant

Free

In the state of New York as of today 99.89% of the population does not have Covid 19.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice to see Dexter give back.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A lot of good information here on many fronts as baseball works on resumption plans.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Booyah said:

Not going to lie. NY is bad. California has a shade over 2,100 positive test. Illinois over 1,500 out of 11K+ tested. That’s about a 13% or so clip.

Cases in Georgia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida and Michigan are also increasing significantly. We aren’t even close to the peak levels and there will surely be multiple waves. Another thing is don’t expect the warm weather to have much effect. Just take a look at what’s going on in Philippines, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

Participant

Free
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by AvatarMinuteman3.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Let me count the many ways I hate his idea. What I do understand is his motivation. If his clients play a full season, they will make a full season of pay – and so will Scotty get his full cut.

Participant

Free

Christmas is far too late to have a championship and you would be competing with all the other major sports as well.

Participant

Free

Speaking of the peak I mentioned earlier, we aren’t even close:

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am in agreement that a 162 game season and post-season in December is ridiculous. One of the many issue is the off season, as you would only be down a couple of months before getting ready for 2021.

MLB needs to bite the bullet like the rest of us and not focus on playing 162 games. It is not always about money, although trying to persuade multi-million and billionaires that is not easy.

My plan would be that if a season of at least 81 games is played, players accrue a full season worth of time towards free agency and pension. However, I would prorate salaries based on games played since the clubs are going to earn revenue based on games. Although I do not know how the television packages are structured, so that could impact player compensation.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Boras loves to see his own smiling face on the cover of anything he can get it on.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of the peak I mentioned earlier, we aren’t even close:

The chart you showed is misleading for a number of reasons. First, cases per capita is a far better way to judge these things. Second, the US having more confirmed cases in no way indicates that the virus is more severe here or that new infections are exploding. We are simply testing far more people (and will be testing far more people than any other country if we aren’t already). That is not to say that this country has done better than anyone else; only that the data this person is using has inherent flaws that can cause (or do show the author’s) panic.

I appreciate that my state lists both positive tests as well as overall tests in their daily report so that people can get a feel for what is really going on rather than panicking because we have a few hundred more cases.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nightengale’s version of the negotiations is fairly optimistic.

Participant

Free

So we can expect at least a 100 games of baseball this year if we’re lucky.

I think the idea of picking up where the schedule left off is lazy thinking.

And naturally Manfred gets to unveil his expanded format but I don’t buy an expanded playoff making up for a good chunk of lost revenue. You gonna have 16 teams in your playoff? lol

The players should get full 162 games of credit for the season.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The chart you showed is misleading for a number of reasons. First, cases per capita is a far better way to judge these things.

The “per capita” point is very important to note. As stlcard25 said, the chart is not normalized in this regard. The total number of positive cases for the top seven nations listed on that chart (based on cases per million of population) is as follows. I just pulled these numbers off worldometers.

Italy: 1,230
    Spain: 1,059
    Germany: 455
    France: 387
    Iran: 322
    USA: 199
    China: 56

Also, the total deaths per million of population is as follows:

Italy: 124
    Spain: 78
    Germany: 2
    France: 20
    Iran: 25
    USA: 3
    China: 2

Of course, the USA is not as far along as the other nations in flattening the curve.

As for the point on amount of testing, yes there is large variation there. And who knows how accurate some if this data is day to day, and depending on where it comes from.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems New York and Washington states have a tremendous amount of Coronavirus cases. I understand New York being more vulnerable due to population density of New York City, but can’t quite understand why Washington has the 2nd most deaths in the U.S.A. Does Seattle’s population have most of the cases?

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

King County (includes Seattle) has approx half of Washington’s cases and approx 3/4 of their deaths. King County is the 12th highest populated county in the US. The first case in the US was a passenger who came into the Seattle airport from Wuhan. Next, numerous people at the nursing home near Seattle got infected. This was the storm of events that led to the crisis there, prior to all the emphasis on hand washing, sanitizing, social distancing, business closures, etc.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 350 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years