COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 1,201 through 1,225 (of 1,231 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes but those at the end of the line could get the shots between April and June.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The key point that relates to baseball as I see it is that by Opening Day (even if it happens on time), teams will still not know when the stands can be full again. Even as more people receive the vaccine, how many will immediately feel safe joining 40,000 others in a packed stadium?

Against that backdrop, I do not expect the Cardinals to get aggressive in spending in preparation for the 2021 season. I predict the return of fans is going to be iterative and perhaps even with some fits and starts over the summer ahead.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Feel safe” and can afford to attend. Owners surely understand the economic impact of Covid on their ticket buying fan base.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As I have said before the Cardinals have the luxury of knowing that they could do very little the rest of the winter and still be a contender in the weak NLC. If they were in a different division it would be a different story.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tired of all the election noise? Bored by the lack of any baseball news? Looking for something to challenge your mind? Well, I started this thread on March 5, 2020, a bit over 8 months ago, and today I was scanning over TCN looking for something I might have missed and decided to read through this thread again. You know there are a lot of meaningful posts over these 48 pages and more than 1100 posts. Some are truly insightful and others are downright silly but you can see in most all of them a bit of fear that this virus is nothing to overlook. Even young folk who are supposed to be the least likely to die from it still have a fear shown in some of their posts. Let’s keep that attitude and beat this bug right back into the ground. God Bless America. In this case some might say God Bless the World.

This reply was a month ago today and we haven’t heard from MM3 since. Given his health issues, I fear the worst. I wish there was a way to find out if this great Cards fan is still with us. Check in soon if you can, MM3!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I remember Pugs disappeared for a long time a year or so ago, which made a few wonder as well. Hopefully it’s just because MM3 is not into the hot stove topics so much.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Minuteman will show once Spring training nears, gentlemen. He may have encountered a nasty medical issue, but he’s too tough to let anything take him down at this stage. Ten years from now….possibly….but it’s not his time yet. My six month absence was due to my inability to post. I could read what was going on here, but I was unable to log in for some mysterious reason. It took me a half year to figure out that I only needed to purchase a new phone and then the problem was solved. Maybe it’s not a bad idea for all of we regulars to leave our phone numbers or addresses with Brian, BicycleMike or UCONN, in case one of us goes missing for an extended period of time…….just had a freightening thought…..what if Brian went missing? Has he made provisions for this site to carry on without him? And just who would steer the ship in his absence? One would think your’s truly would be a likely candidate for this esteemed honor, but thus far has not been contacted. If one of you other posters has been contacted for this possible duty, please speak up now. We promise that you will not be disliked for ever.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pugs, you make some very impactful points. I do need a backup plan, but it cannot be you because I could never in good conscience subject you to the ridicule that comes with being the teacher’s pet.

On a serious note, I have reached out to MM3. Hopefully, he will either post here or get back to me.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Appreciate that, but just know that I have pretty thick skin and can take the ridicule….unless they get too unruly….then I’d sic Euro on them. Come home where the Cardinals roam, MM3!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hello, Buffalo!

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I too would be in great favor of some kind of private list for the admins or a group of similar minded folks to keep in case of emergency.

I have known this place in all its forms and many of the posters for a very long time. I would hate to pass on or for anyone else to do so (or even deal with other big things) without letting those around them, even if it is virtual, know and have the chance to speak on them or at least know what happens.

I do enjoy this place, and I do enjoy these people and these discussions. I do value the people here and their opinions, and do care about them. I may never know your faces but i do wish the best for you all. And if you are struggling or hurting, you should know many people, whether they know your face or not, do think of you and care for your well being.

I don’t know if many would miss my ramblings and trade ideas, but i would hate for someone to think i gave up on this place and the people here.

So please admins and Brian, i would hope there is a way we can do this.

This pandemic has taken so much from everyone, and it only serves to remind us what is so easily lost.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have access to everyone’s contact information and can reach out to them if there is a need. However, there is no PM function for this board software. It is not my decision to keep it from you. It simply does not exist. I have offered in the past, if both sides are willing, to share contact information between two community members. But security of everyone’s personal information remains paramount and it will not be compromised.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But could we have a stickied or pinned thread, where someone who was willing to give out their email or some kind of safe email. to which people could send their private information? that email could be managed by an admin or set of people who would create a document in case of emergencies? Participation is obviously per the individual.

i don’t know the best or safest solution, but i do think that there is one.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

cardstatman
    Participant

Free

A note of optimism for the new year…

Only 7% of the US population is 75 or over and they have experienced almost 60% of the deaths due to COVID. They could be vaccinated by the end of January.

Only 17% of the US population is 65 or over and they have experienced over 80% of the deaths due to COVID. They could be vaccinated by the end of February.

Only 29% of the US population is 55 or over and they have experienced over 92% of the deaths due to COVID. They could be vaccinated by the end of March.

Clearly the death rate should be dropping quickly starting in just a few weeks and should drop by 92% over the next 3 months. Obviously, the infection rate will not drop as quickly since those under 55 won’t be vaccinated soon, but it will also begin to drop more slowly.

The threat perception will drop as the death rate dramatically drops. I think by Spring, we will see a return to some “normalcy” since getting back outdoors will also slow the spread rate as it did last Spring.

It seems like the high risk baseball player could be vaccinated in February and the rest in late March without appearing to “jump the line”.

I’m also hoping for 25% attendance in April/May and 100% attendance by June or July. They may choose to delay the season’s start by a couple of weeks which is not a bad idea since thing should be rapidly improving.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Good stats, statman. I hope you’re right. The fly in the ointment right now is the logistics of getting needles in arms. No way we’ll meet those timelines without tremendous acceleration on the rollout. Sometimes the hard part is to just get ball rolling on these large scale things, so maybe the pace will pick up quickly.

I know there are plenty of stories so far, but one caught my eye that said NYC administered 5,000,000 smallpox vaccinations during a 2-week period in 1947 after a small re-emergence. In 17 days, NYC has managed to vaccinate 88,000 people for COVID19, about 1% of their population.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great post statman! I agree with your optimistic take on the situation. While off to a slow start I think vaccinations will pick up speed soon, especially when a couple more of the pending vaccinations get approval, which could happen in January and February.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if healthy MLBers will be standing in line with the rest of the healthy people.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I had heard rumors of this previously. It helps explain why Mike is so listless sounding on the broadcasts. He almost lost his life.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Situation remains positive…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1,201 through 1,225 (of 1,231 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.