COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 347 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

At this point what are the odds the opening series between the Cards/Reds in Cincinnati gets impacted in some way?

I’d say its about 50-50 right about now.

r/Esteemed Rat

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well hell! MLB’s Opening Day may get postponed at this rate.

Participant

Free

NHL’s statement tonight:

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

March Madness won’t be the same.

Participant

Free

MLB officials are wondering why the NBA and NCAA don’t just move their events to Phoenix.

Morons.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Things seem to be spiraling out of control at this point. Whether that panic is warranted or not, it’s seeming increasingly likely that the MLB season will be impacted in some way. Will they play games with no fans? Postpone the start of the season? Cancel it altogether? It seems that any of the three are possibilities at this point.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If I remember correctly, the Selig regime did not want Cuban to own an MLB team…

Participant

Free

people say this nothing like the regular flu. Yet basically to avoid it, they tell you to do the exact same thing they would tell you to avoid the flu other than get a shot which there isn’t one. That plus the fact that not a huge number of people have died from it makes me question that. I have no problem with limiting crowds so I understand the nba suspending their season cause it isn’t worth anybody dying. So maybe the mlb will have to do the same I don’t know. the leagues will lose a lot of money if they try to play with no fans in attendance. So im good with games cause games aren’t important in the long run. Its just whats happening in the outside world that’s bothering me. To me the cure these health organizations have for us may be far worse on us in the long run than the virus seems to be. just like an individual cant let fears of their death or someone they care for stop them from getting up and living their life, the same can be said for countries.

Participant

Free

Willie, it’s got a 3% mortality rate which is much higher than the flu.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m betting now that the season will be suspended until the threat of infection abates. If there’s a basketball player that has the virus, surely there’s a baseball player that has it, too. But It’s just a matter of time before he shows up. Besides, the owners will lose millions upon millions of dollars if paying customers are not showing up at stadiums. Suspending the season should save most of that money.

Participant

Free

I’m betting now that the season will be suspended until the threat of infection abates. If there’s a basketball player that has the virus, surely there’s a baseball player that has it, too. But It’s just a matter of time before he shows up. Besides, the owners will lose millions upon millions of dollars if paying customers are not showing up at stadiums. Suspending the season should save most of that money.

The scary part is you can contact the virus, show no symptoms, and pass it on to other people.

I don’t know if Fred Hoiberg (the head basketball coach at University of Nebraska) has the flu or what if you’re feeling sick why are you putting others in danger by working? Check out the assistant coach to his left lathering his hands with sanitizer. Very reckless. Here’s hoping its not the coronavirus because if it is he put a whole lot of people in danger.

Participant

Free

more baseball related news:

Participant

Free

just hand out surgical masks with the MLB home teams logo on it and get on with the season. Better still sell them for a buck and donate the proceeds to flu vaccine research.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Willie, it’s got a 3% mortality rate which is much higher than the flu.

Different numbers (some lower) are being reported on this due to the dynamics of it all. Hopefully the mortality rate will come down with more test kits available to use for people with less severe symptoms. Dr. Fauci said this will likely happen. Let’s hope. It rings similar to our discussions about the issue of making baseball conclusions based on inadequate data samples.

Regardless, everybody’s situation is unique and should make decisions accordingly. As a 60 y/o, I am not tempted to dine at crowded restaurants until the facts become more obvious.

Here is a related article on reasons why the death rate numbers have dropped in China.

Link

Participant

Free

Good study ED. For me the most disheartening part was:

Also, the China CDC study shows that for coronavirus patients ages 70 to 79 the death rate more than triples. For those older than 80 it’s more than six times as high.

Mud – I think the disease is also communicable via bodily contact such as a handshake and then you put your hand to your face and the virus can pass. I am very happy that younger folks have a much much higher chance of survival. The big flu epidemic of 1918 took millions. I remember going through one cemetery in a very small North Dakota town and saw row after row of burials with a 1918 death date.

Baseball? I hope they can play and even if the season is started with no attendance I feel a point will come when things have leveled out and new cases dropped to the point of having regular attendance again. We can all hope.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There are a lot of mounting questions for MLB. Some kind of disruption seems inevitable.

Participant

Free

No worries, guys. They can just play the games in Phoenix.

Participant

Free

College are cancelling tournaments, baseball will be next to cancel spring training or post pone the season almost guaranteed at this point!

Participant

Free

It’s going to be interesting to see if playing without crowds for TV audiences is a possibility. I am sure MLB would do better financially with this than they would shortening the season.

Though they may need to learn from the NBA and make sure players are tested regularly. If this spreads through a clubhouse, it would devastate that team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

SEC and B1G announce they have officially cancelled their conference basketball tournaments.

2020 sucks. Can we fastfoward to 2021 already?

Participant

Free

The U.S. population is close to 330 million, meaning our incidence rate so far is 1 in 330,000, about 1/20 of China’s rate. In other words, if our incidence rate grew to match China’s before leveling off, we would get to about 20,000 cases. There have been at least 34 million infected with normal seasonal flu this year, 350,000 hospitalizations, and 20,000 deaths.
    Every league is now in a virtue signalling race to give the appearance of concern. The over reaction is mind boggling.

Participant

Free

The virus dies in 26-27 degrees Celsius (80F). Playing in outdoor stadiums in the south wouldn’t hurt, but most of them aren’t up to the 80+ temps yet.

After the cancellation/suspension of the NBA and NCAA conference tourneys, and likely the NCAA tourney coming shortly, I don’t see a possible way that the MLB regular season will start on time.

Participant

Free

I don’t think that it dying in 80 degrees is correct after all it has been going nuts in CHina when it was warm over there and even in the US FL and Cali getting hit hard with it, but who knows since it is brand new..

Participant

Free

The U.S. population is close to 330 million, meaning our incidence rate so far is 1 in 330,000, about 1/20 of China’s rate. In other words, if our incidence rate grew to match China’s before leveling off, we would get to about 20,000 cases. There have been at least 34 million infected with normal seasonal flu this year, 350,000 hospitalizations, and 20,000 deaths.
    Every league is now in a virtue signalling race to give the appearance of concern. The over reaction is mind boggling.

Patient 0 in China was infected in late November or early December, and you are using China stats that are from months later when they had built out a testing infrastructure. We are not months out from patient zero here, and we have had virtually no testing infrastructure.

You can’t make a judgement in comparing the 9th inning in one country vs. the 2nd inning in another.

Feel free to lick doorknobs if you like, but don’t use ignorant science to blast people for playing it safe.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 347 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years