COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 348 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Isn’t it safer to use percentages from China, Italy, etc?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some levity during a difficult time.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be careful in comparing China to the US. The only similarities I see is that both countries dropped the ball in their initial assessment of the situation.

Most of China’s cases were in an isolated region (Wuhan), whereas the US is seeing widespread outbreaks although there are definitely hotspots.

Also, the societies are different. A lockdown in a totalitarian country is going be different than a semi-lockdown in a democratic country.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Free

China didn’t drop the ball, they intentionally misled people, and jailed people for trying to tell the truth. They are still doing that. We can’t compare anyone to China since we have no idea what their real numbers or situation is like.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Then how about Italy for comparison?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

60%-80% of the population will most likely be infected (China, Italy, US, it doesn’t matter). Remain in place and social distancing alone wont change that. All we are doing is drawing this out with the idea of reducing the stress on the health care system and hoping for a medicinal cure or vaccine. Anyone that thinks that after locking down an area for a month will bring things back to normal is delusional.

Participant

Free

Anyone that thinks that after locking down an area for a month will bring things back to normal is delusional.

You never know until you try. It may take longer than a month but if China is telling the truth then there can be a light at the end of the tunnel. If you want no shutdowns or social distancing and are young enough to take the risk, have a go at it. I have doubts about your 60-80% figure.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis’ owner talks about the major negative impact on minor league teams. BA spoke to people inside MiLB who feel that somewhere between 10 and 40 minor league teams will struggle to get through this season.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/coronavirus-pandemic-creates-disaster-situation-for-some-milb-teams/

Participant

Paid - Monthly

MM3. Even with China telling the truth there will be additional waves in China. It is non debatable.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

My wife and I just completed our first week of “work from home”. Both of our offices started it at the same time (we work for different companies). We had a home-office already, but created a second one downstairs in my man-cave for me to work, and it went well.

I have worked from home before, but it has usually been one-off times like due to a snow storm or something like that. We will see if we can stand being around each other this much after a month or so. 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From BW’s last post:

Concerning the owner of our AAA affiliate as follows.

“The reality is it’s bad. We’re a small business. There are going to be some really hard decisions made in the next 30-60-90 days that are very uncomfortable,” Memphis Redbirds owner Peter Freund said. “We are realistically looking at a situation where we may not operate this year. I can’t imagine a scenario where our season begins before June. What are the implications for all the people who work in the ballpark—the ushers, the grounds crews? It’s so upsetting. There is only so much we can do as a small business owner to keep the lights on. There are some very harsh realities.”

Fruend is very much involved with pro-baseball. He is part owner of the NYY, owns the Charlestown River Dogs and the Williamsport Cross Cutters… plus has interests in a few pro soccer teams. Sports is his business, Trinity holdings. He is a grad of Dartmouth.

He has to be feeling the pinch of what we all are going through. He is a hands-on owner and very proud of the Memphis Redbirds. His company is headquartered in Armonk NY…. not far from where I am in Westchester County. Its population is nearly a million people and just north of NYC.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Avatar14NyquisT.
    Participant

Free

Why was I under the impression that the Cardinals bought the Redbirds a couple of years ago. Was it just the stadium they bought or was it the team? Inquiring (confused) minds want to know.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The local Memphis Redbirds Foundation defaulted on its bonds issued to pay for the stadium and the bonds were acquired by an investment firm. The Cardinals bought the team and the City of Memphis acquired AutoZone Park after considerable negotiations. That was closed in late 2013 or early 2014. After the Cardinals owned the team for several years, they sold the majority share to Peter Freund in 2016.

Participant

Free

Thanks Brian. That cleared it up. I think that they still own the Springfield team. Not sure about the stadium but I think it is the city and the J.Q. Hammonds Foundation was supposed to be making payments every year but since he died things have not been going as JQ wanted them to. The parking lot situation is another problem with Hammonds Holdings or whatever the name of that corp is.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Does that mean the Cardinals still own a minority share of the Memphis team?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3 said:

I think that they still own the Springfield team.

Yes.

The parking lot situation is another problem with Hammonds Holdings or whatever the name of that corp is.

Springfield Cardinals Sue over Stadium Renovations, Parking Increase

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BHC asked:

Does that mean the Cardinals still own a minority share of the Memphis team?

It means they did in 2016. What dealings have transpired between the two parties since then, I cannot say.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As MLB makes its’ plans to have some kind of season that may last into November or December I hope they realize that Covid-19 may not be a one and done event. Many scientists believe it is plausible that the virus will somewhat dissipate in the summer months but will come roaring back in the fall and winter, which could cause more closures.

Hopefully by then we will have developed some vaccines, more testing kits, more supplies, and maybe some immunity, but to just assume that there will be no more interruptions could be a false assumption.

Participant

Paid - Annual

These are really unchartered waters. No one really knows how long this could be going on. Hopefully it will be over sooner than later. For baseball, but more importantly for our country and for the world.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I read that 16 days ago that there were no cases of Covid-19 in New York State. 16 Days. It seems a lot longer.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It seems like it is kind of a two-edged sword. There were probably cases 16 days ago. They just weren’t yet “known”. As the counts rise, some is due to continued spreading of the virus and some is reflecting more testing being available. Impossible to sort out which is which. But when the counts finally do drop, that will be worth celebrating.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like it is kind of a two-edged sword. There were probably cases 16 days ago. They just weren’t yet “known”. As the counts rise, some is due to continued spreading of the virus and some is reflecting more testing being available. Impossible to sort out which is which. But when the counts finally do drop, that will be worth celebrating.

I fully agree with you, Brian. While it can reflect the spread, it’s very likely that the numbers are rising due to more tests being made available. It’s possible that the US ends up with more “confirmed” cases than any other country when all this is said and done simply due to the fact that we will likely test more people than anyone else.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I doubt the warm weather will have a great effect on the spread of the virus. WHO is saying several more weeks before we hit the peak infection numbers, and that’s at current status quo. If people stop the social distancing after a few weeks the numbers will surely skyrocket.

Participant

Free

Tommy Pham is a real piece of work….. WOW. Worst 1% of humans on earth without a doubt.

He’s 32 y/o and has made over $13M, he needs to get a clue. I’m very glad they traded that “insert choice words”.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 348 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years