COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 595 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Haha. So MLB’s solution to a viral pandemic is to take a bunch of people from a heavily infected area on the road to a lesser-infected area.

What could possibly go wrong?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I heard on the local news this morning that the governor of Ohio wants fans to skip attending Reds games because of fear of spreading the coronavirus. This would include the Reds home opener against the Cardinals. I would think that a news item like this pretty much precludes the possibility of the Cardinals taking on a mega-contract like Arendado’s contract. Also, if fans stay away from games all season, you have to wonder if they would all come back after this coronavirus crisis ends.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ATSC said:

Haha. So MLB’s solution to a viral pandemic is to take a bunch of people from a heavily infected area on the road to a lesser-infected area.

As you are fond of saying, their behavior is driven by the basic laws of economics. 😉

Participant

Free

I had the same thought, Mud, but I think Americans are pretty defiant. I think there will be renewed interest in going to baseball games (and other sports) after being told to stay away for a month or two.

Could go either way, though.

Participant

Free

As you are fond of saying, their behavior is driven by the basic laws of economics. 😉

I realize you are mostly joking, but I don’t see what law of economics would have the operators of a baseball stadium in Phoenix wanting to accelerate the spread of disease in their own area. That would have the opposite effect of making more money or being good for the overall economy. In fact, it would increase the likelihood of a local economic disaster.

Short-term greed at the expense of long-term devastation goes against good economics and capitalism.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I was referring to MLB ownership, who will make more money with games in any populated stadium than in an empty big-league one.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Mariners probably own or have a lease on their Spring training/AZL league facility so the stadium operator might be the Mariners themselves.

Participant

Free

I was referring to MLB ownership, who will make more money with games in any populated stadium than in an empty big-league one.

In the short-term. If that causes an influx of Seattlites to fly in and infect the locals, what have you gained?

The Mariners probably own or have a lease on their Spring training/AZL league facility so the stadium operator might be the Mariners themselves.

That can be fixed the same way that the Seattle/Washington government made sure they couldn’t play at home.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Mariners share the Peoria Sports Complex with the Padres. Recently remodeled. Nice facility. It is owned by the City of Peoria and the teams lease its use, as is typical for spring training/complex facilities.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ATSC said:

In the short-term. If that causes an influx of Seattlites to fly in and infect the locals, what have you gained?

You are being much too logical about behavior that is not always so. It all depends on what you believe MLB’s motives are, and (in my opinion) what they believe they can get away with.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I pray it doesn’t happen. But if the coronavirus got into a clubhouse, it could infect half the team, which would pretty much eliminate that team from contention.

Participant

Free

You are being much too logical about behavior that is not always so. It all depends on what you believe MLB’s motives are, and (in my opinion) what they believe they can get away with.

Oh, logic and reason left a long time ago. And, I agree, MLB decision-makers are short-sited fools who will, almost certainly, do the wrong thing here. They are a comedy of errors, and, hopefully, the local governments won’t let them do something this stupid. And I think I’ve typed enough here for you guys to know that I’m not much of a fan of government solutions, in general.

Participant

Free

And I think I’ve typed enough here for you guys to know that I’m not much of a fan of government solutions, in general.

ATSC, I get your point but not all government is bad. It is when the politicians get too involved that things can go wrong but agencies are generally top notch in what they say and do. I do trust the health agencies such as the CDC and NHIC. Also the military and their leaders. But I won’t go any further because I started this thread and I promised to keep it nonpolitical.

Participant

Free

The CDC has been failing at every turn on this.

I understand that government is needed and does a few things well – I’m no anarchist. My general belief, though, is that everything the government gets its grubby paws on goes up in cost and down in quality.

But the need to pass laws to contain viral outbreaks is going to be apparent soon enough.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And so it begins…

Participant

Free

I like that they think they can plan this out two weeks in advance. Two weeks ago, Seattle didn’t have a problem.

Participant

Free

Sorry mm3, im just a logical thinking person. When the flu goes around, most people come into contact with it and not everyone gets it. Sure there are shots for most varieties of the flu, but a lot of people don’t get a shot. I don’t. I do sometimes get the flu but it is what it is. I work at a factory with over a thousand people. People have to work. people still have to eat. Have to pay bills. If people were dropping like flies from it I would understand panic. But they haven’t been. Like I said, unless you surround yourself in a bubble and never come out, you are probably gonna be exposed in some way. im not dismissing it as nothing, the flu isn’t nothing. This isn’t nothing and I know how it spreads. It spreads just like the flu or a cold. im just not a person who panics over stuff.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

This virus is significantly more contagious and more deadly than a typical flu strain.

Facts from the CDC & WHO:
    1. This is an entirely new virus strain
    2. Thus, no immune resistance exists. None.
    3. The contagion rate is 1:2.3, at a minimum. For every person infected they infect 2.3 people and each of those people infects 2-3 more people, and so on. It is highly contagious.
    4. It is at least 10 times more deadly than regular flu strains (see point #2)

The lack of substantive numbers in the US is due to a lack of available testing and not due to a lack of transmission.

Limiting large gatherings is both an attempt to try and slow down transmission AND not overload medical facilities.

The downside to being cautious and being wrong doesn’t begin to compare with the downside of not taking action and being wrong.

Participant

Free

It is becoming a question now if the Cards and Rangers will open the new Texas Stadium on March 23 with or without fans. Seems silly to have an exhibition game with no fans. As for opening the season in Cincy on March 26, I think MLB is still pondering that one.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Only a matter of time before MLB will play games with empty stadiums. I can’t see them cancelling games. However, at that point MLB should lift their blackout policy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe a person has to breathe in, or somehow ingest, the virus in order to get sick from it. If they would just hand out masks when people enter the stadium, that would greatly reduce the extent of transmission. Also, does anybody know if this virus will go away when the weather warms up like a typical flu virus? I don’t think this virus is impacting people who live in the southern hemisphere, where it’s still summertime, as much as it is impacting those of us who are in the northern hemisphere.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

NBA just suspended their season. Jazz player apoears to be positive.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I believe a person has to breathe in, or somehow ingest, the virus in order to get sick from it. If they would just hand out masks when people enter the stadium, that would greatly reduce the extent of transmission. Also, does anybody know if this virus will go away when the weather warms up like a typical flu virus? I don’t think this virus is impacting people who live in the southern hemisphere, where it’s still summertime, as much as it is impacting those of us who are in the northern hemisphere.

Since the Coronavirus is nothing really like the flu (contrary to what certain people in this country have promoted) there simply isn’t enough evidence or knowledge about SARS-CoV-2 and the disease, COVID-19, it causes to know if warmer/wetter weather will impact its spread.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

An article from a Harvard University professor indicates the best practices in stopping the virus is through quarantine, mass testing, and social distancing.

Seasonality of SARS-CoV-2: Will COVID-19 go away on its own in warmer weather?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 595 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years