Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Viewing 25 posts - 926 through 950 (of 1,244 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Chris Russo (MLB TV) quotes. Don’t shoot the messenger.

1.) 3 adjectives to describe the Cardinal offense –
    “anemic, atrocious, and horrendous”. “They have to do something to help their offense”

2.) “Matt Carpenter is NOT and everyday player, nor is Bader”

3.) “They let Ozuna get away and didn’t replace him”

4.) “Not keeping Arozarena was a disaster”

5.) “Dejong is streaky, not possessing the consistency you want”

6.) “Fowler has not done anything. His 5/85 contract was bad”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

3 adjectives to describe Russo –
    “anemic, atrocious, and horrendous”.

I will add two more: “obnoxious and grating”.

Given a choice, I would prefer fingernails on a chalkboard every time.

Participant

Free

If you don’t want the messenger shot, why post it? Looking to stir the pot a little? Those are all points you have made at least 5 times each.

BW, I agree on Russo.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Chris Russo and bccran sound like they could become new best friends.

Participant

Free

Never heard of Russo but he is right about 1,2,5 and 6
    3. Ozuna wasn’t good so letting him go was smart.
    4. There’s no way to know if a kid is going to shine plus it’s early. Prospects are for trading as far as I’m concerned and sometimes you get burned.

Participant

Free

Oh, gosh. Better not quote Russo again. Doesn’t sound like some posters care for this baseball journalist too much. Best try to find a journalist whose ideas align with these certain outspoken posters. That will keep a better peace.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mad Dog is not a baseball journalist. He is a sports talk show screecher who inexplicably was given a solo show on a baseball-focused network. I am curious if you have you ever seen his show, bccran, or did you copy that list from another forum? Because if you had seen his schtick, I would be surprised if you would still quote him.

Participant

Free

In my little town I don’t get MLB TV. I’ll never utter the charlatan’s name again.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Occasionally Russo will have some good guests on his radio show but he himself sounds like he has had about ten Red Bull drinks within the last hour. He isn’t for everyone that is for sure.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The thing about the Arozarena trade and even losing Voit that bothers most people IMO is not that we didnt get good things back… Gallegos and hopefully Libertore

It’s that the things we got back are things we don’t really NEED…things that we tend to produce pretty regularly from within the organization (SP and RP)

We have needed solid offense for a while and we seemingly keep giving it up to stockpile and hoard things we are perfectly capable of producing without trades

you can never have too much pitching? well id tend to agree…BUT we have no offense…no hitters dont win ANY games unless you can score

Yes…we can say we didnt see the outbursts coming…we can say…well we have Goldy and JMart or we have Thomas, Oneill, Carlson, etc… but Randy and Voit were not worthless throwaways with no talent…both had shown great hitting capabilities in the minors and had MLB experience (even if abbreviated)…sure as much as i didnt like losing Mercado..he hadnt played in the majors at all..so i guess i coudl see it…btu at least in that trade we brought back a straight replacement in a younger OFer not on the 40 man…

with Randy and Voit we got 2 things (all respect Schreve) that we had plenty of while in each case we still had major concerns over the offense…if we had brought back offense help that was young or not ready…i think people would be more understanding right now…

If you take Gallegos and Libertore out of our farm or MLB team…yes we woudl have suffered as Gallegos saved us with his performance…but we have several internal options to slot in for those spots…and while we have guys to potentially slot in for Voit and Randy…those options were already showing they had deficiencies whether due to age or lack of results..

Having two more good “bullets” for the offense on the farm at the level of Libertore and Gallegos would make me feel far better right now

I want nothing more than for Libertore to be a beast and Gallegos to keep it going….but i think i’d feel better about the future with TWO Gorman’s and TWO Carlson’s in the system rather than two guys who we kind of already have “roiughly” in Junior, Genesis, Helsley, Oviedo = Gallegos and Thompson, Oviedo, Woodford, Gomber, Ponce, Rondon = Libertore

Participant

Free

Very good post, thejager. And we have surplus pitching assets to trade right now. I didn’t like losing Marco Gonzales because he was touted as the most major league ready pitcher in the 2013 draft, but on looking at Tyler O’Neill’s power numbers in the minors I saw the logic of the trade. I just wish they could have made several more trades like that in recent years. It created a huge power donut.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I appreciate the thoughts, jager. While I don’t agree with them, I see what you are getting at. IMO, Voit and Arozarena were two old prospects who are the kind of guys that just get traded. That’s what those guys are for. I still feel we got the better player in the Arozarena trade and while Voit has been more valuable than Gallegos, Gallegos has been quite excellent still.

I would, however, argue that the team has nothing like Liberatore in their system. Libby is a potential ace, while the rest of those guys are #3s (Thompson, Oviedo), #4s (Rondon), #5s (Gomber) or worse (Ponce is a reliever and Woodford a Memphis depth piece). Arozarena has looked great, but I’d still probably make the trade today.

Participant

Free

thejager – the main point is that the Cardinals ranked at the bottom of the second third in offense in 2019, and did nothing to improve it. On top of that, they didn’t re-sign
    Ozuna and traded away the OF prospect that had the best record at AA and AAA. Didn’t make any sense.

They got Tyler O’Neill through a trade. They got Lane Thomas through a trade. They got Justin Williams through a trade. They got Capel through a trade. They got Torres through a trade. So they know how to bring outfielders in through the trade route. I just wish they could bring in another one or two that are a little more proven. From higher levels in the minors or pre-arbitration/arbitration guys.

Maybe with the market being flooded with players
    who aren’t being tendered a contract they’ll address that severe weakness in the outfield. Carlson is the only one we can depend on going forward.

Participant

Free

Perfect time to bring in several outfielders on a one year deal and extend them if they perform and fit in.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t mind taking a flier on Tomoyuki “Sugar” Sugano and his Japanese league lifetime WHIP of 1.05. Please pass us the “Sugar”, Mo.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sugano could be a fill in if they decide to move on from Waino. Wonder what sort of salary he will command?

Speaking of the overseas players, Ha Seong Kim was posted yesterday, officially. He’d be a fit anywhere, but the Cards haven’t been mentioned among the favorites by the national media. That’s probably a good thing.

Participant

Free

bccran:

You are right that the time would be right for looking at some outside outfielders. However, the qualifier is no gate receipts for 2021. 2021 is not the time to add payroll with no gate4 receipts. I would be suprised if they sign a single player. They might for PR purposes but it will be a slug just for show. If was Junior I’d slash everything I could and not add one penny of new payroll. 2021 is going to be a weird kind of a year

Participant

Free

mspaid – you can also bring in an outfielder or two via trade, and not increase payroll. Several pre-arbitration guys.

Participant

Paid - Annual

mspaid:

Please clarify. Are you assuming that the vaccine will fail and that COVID will be preventing fans from attending games? Or, is there something else that you believe may affect gate receipts?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Harrison Bader…anchor of the lineup.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader the boat anchor?

Participant

Free

mudville:

No one knows if the vaccine will be effective enough to bring the numbers down quikly or if the vaccine will be ready in time to bring relief this season. They say spring but does that mean March or May. If it is late then there will likely be no appreciable effect until August or September. So, if I’m an owner I’m not counting on any gate receipts for 2021. Maybe there’ll be receipts but I’m not going to go spend tens of millions and then have no fans.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I get your points. There is still a lot of uncertainty around this pandemic.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the info Brian. Two takeaways I have are:

1. They would certainly trade CMart if the right opportunity came along but they aren’t going to give him away.

2. They don’t envision Knizer as an everyday starter at the MLB level. Period. I find that disappointing.

Viewing 25 posts - 926 through 950 (of 1,244 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years