Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 938 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, I am sorry, I am not familiar with Tyler Gentry.

Good questions about the lineup. For me, it starts with Carlson. Do they want him up top or in the middle? Are they going to slide DeJong down since he has not produced as consistently as hoped? As you note, without someone new stepping up, it is going to be about how to rearrange the same names.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Big questions –

1.) Who’s going to hit leadoff?
    2.) Who’s going to hit cleanup?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

bccran,

I suspect Fowler will be back in the leadoff spot in 2021. I expect him to rebound with a good year since its his walk year.

Edman will hit 2nd. Carlson will hit 3rd, and to answer your 2nd question – Goldschmidt will be the cleanup hitter.

This team is really just one big bat away from being a contender. How to get that big bat is the problem to the answer, however.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Big questions –

1.) Who’s going to hit leadoff?
    2.) Who’s going to hit cleanup?

As the roster is constructed now, I think Edman hits leadoff. I would expect Carlson to hit 2nd if the team has confidence in him. Goldy will be third. Right now, I’d guess that Dejong may hit cleanup, or perhaps Carpenter.

If a Pederson or Rosario come in, they would likely be your cleanup bat.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What might shake his (DeWitt) confidence? My guess is a

prolonged downturn of results by the MLB team

, coupled with a decline in attendance and ratings.

Little by little we are closer to an agreement. Here he is again… wishin’ and hopin’ for one of the players that he goofed on will turn ’21 into a career season or at least come close to being something worth his paycheck. At some point DeWitt will catch on and say “what was I thinking”?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If the original statement had been a future outlook, I would not have even responded. As the focus of this discussion is what the Cardinals need to do for 2021, I am just pointing out that immediate change does not appear to be occurring in the front office.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mark Saxon did an entertainment-only article analyzing 10 different reader-suggested trade scenarios involving the Cardinals. The common thread seems to be the Cardinals giving up multiple spare parts to get one really good (but often expensive) player in return, though there are also a couple of Flaherty trades in there.

Participant

Paid - Annual

One way or another, the Cards will pick up an outfielder.

Participant

Free

bccran:

Why would they pick up an outfielder?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

They dont know what to do at the moment because the decision has not been made on the DH for 2021 in the National League yet. If there is a DH they can go after a 3rdbaseman and Carpenter can DH. With no DH in the NL in 2021 they probably need an outfielder. O’Neill, Thomas, Bader – big question marks offensively. Bader is a good defensive replacement as most have noted.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

mspaid – The answer is pretty obvious.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards could just as easily look at 2020 as a lost year due to the crazy COVID schedule (remember, Thomas actually had COVID and it probably/likely led to most of his struggles) and run with what they have to save some money for next year. Fowler will be gone then, as will some others.

Carlson will start. Fowler will begin the season as a starter. That leaves Bader, O’Neill and Thomas to fight for one spot. Adding yet another OFer to the mix unless the DH is in play is akin to throwing all three of their careers away. I don’t think the team is ready to do that, so unless they are willing to make Fowler a backup (which I’d personally do), I don’t think an OFer will be added.

If the DH is looking like it’ll be in play, I could see them adding someone like Eddie Rosario on a 1 year, $3-5M deal to platoon and DH.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Last year they added a “backup” infielder who ended up hitting cleanup everyday when no one else claimed the job. When your outfield is hitting 7-8-9 in the lineup, you have a problem. I understand why the Cards are still hoping for a breakthrough from O’Neill, Bader, and Thomas, but IMHO they need an experienced “backup” in place when the season starts. Someone you know is going to show up everyday.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bc, I understand the desire for a veteran bat. I like the idea in theory as well. We will have to see what Mo comes up with. I’m just saying that I could see the rationale behind sticking with the chalk. Having the DH situation figured out soon would help tremendously.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s a name for you, 25 – Yasmany Tomas.
    Backup at both 3B and in LF. Could also DH.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s a name for you, 25 – Yasmany Tomas.
    Backup at both 3B and in LF. Could also DH.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think I still like the Bader for Nimmo swap. The Mets get great CF defense and the Cards get a better bat for their lineup. Nimmo-Carlson-Fowler with O”Neill as a backup/starter if Fowler struggles. It would be a big hit to the up the middle defense to lose Wong and Bader, and potentially Yadi too, though.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It would be a big hit to the up the middle defense to lose Wong and Bader, and potentially Yadi too, though.

Yes it would be and a lot of people are glossing over this fact because they are so desperate for more offense. This is team is built to win with run prevention, at least for now. I would hate to see us tear down our run prevention strengths for a few minor offensive upgrades then we end up not doing either very well.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes it would be and a lot of people are glossing over this fact because they are so desperate for more offense. This is team is built to win with run prevention, at least for now. I would hate to see us tear down our run prevention strengths for a few minor offensive upgrades then we end up not doing either very well.

Yep. Although there is some hope that Edman may not be a big step down from Wong and Carlson/O’Neill might be good enough in the OF to paper over the loss of Bader. I think losing Yadi would be the biggest hit of all. No one even bothers to run on him. Knizner will not have any reputation to fall back on, and certainly wouldn’t be as good at throwing out base stealers anyway. I could see the defense going from near best in the league status to average or even below, which is a 20-30 run difference.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cards added some low cost depth/insurance last season with Brad Miller, wouldn’t it fall to reason that they will add some low cost depth/insurance this year at 3B and in LF? Who are the most logical FA candidates? Frazier? Gyorko? Brantley? Gardner? Joyce?

Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cards added some low cost depth/insurance last season with Brad Miller, wouldn’t it fall to reason that they will add some low cost depth/insurance this year at 3B and in LF?

The two offseasons seem to be very different. Last offseason was based off of full revenues. This offseason isn’t.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No, Scotty, but Brad Miller was paid only $2 million in 2020 by the Cards. With what’s on the FA market now, and additions coming up in December, there are going to be a lot of options available in a depressed compensation market this off season.

Participant

Paid - Annual

True, but considering the Cardinals allowed their second best 2020 WAR player leave (Wong), I am not optimistic they are going to do anything except bring Yadi and Waino back.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wong saved $11.5 million. That will be put forth toward Yadi.
    Waino will be appearance contingent. They will have room for
    several million for a backup outfielder. Maybe several invited to Spring Training, like Tomas just was. Mo will be hunting for bargains.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ESPN with an article about each team’s roster fix:

http://insider.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/30325078/nl-offseason-checklists-every-team-needs-get-done-winter#chc

For the Cards:

Biggest Issue: Add some help to the lineup with Molina’s return and another power bat

Their suggestion will please jj, no doubt: JD Davis.

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 938 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years