Bryce Harper thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bryce Harper thread

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 669 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NJ315

the only question is what will they do if/when the model doesn’t yield the results the fans expect.

I think that has already happened the last three years which is why the FO is putting such an emphasis on 2019, at least as much as this FO can stomach to do.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Brian:

Granted, I missed the boat on Davis …BUT they didn’t acquire him. They have plenty of money to bring in the talent needed to win the WS. Yes, I wanted Goldschmidt a long time ago. We finally got him but for only one year. So, they must win the WS this year or it’s all for nothing. This front office just can’t get out of their own way. They continue to acquire the crappiest players (see Moss, Leake, Cecil, Fowler, Ozuna, et al) Then they claim they have no money to sign the big names. If they find someone in the front office who knows what good talent is and they get them for more than one year then they might be ready to compete with the big boys. We’ll see…I’m hoping.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have never seen the Cardinals “claim they have no money to sign the big names.” What is your source, nate?

They acquired a big name in Goldschmidt and among LH relievers, Miller is the best there is.

You are the one who always says all that matters is winning the World Series THIS YEAR. Neither the past nor the potential for the future matters. So, why are you worrying about next year and beyond? (My guess is that it is because the 2019 team looks pretty good, so you try to divert the focus to have something to complain about.)

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

The Cardinals do claim they have reflected that those big money, long-term deals rarely work. I believe that they are done with those type of deals completely until their model tells them a player is projected differently.
    They have effectively positioned themselves as willing suitors who will not waver from their model, so when they do bend, it will seem like the ultimate gesture on their part to said player and agent.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if offering 6 years 160 to 180 mill for Harper might not be a bad idea. It would have been laughed at before, but maybe not so much now. The only hitch would be the Fowler contract.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So we’d have 46.5mil invested in RF with O’Neill buried even deeper on the depth charts.

46.5mil of a 190mil budget is 25% of the player budget just for RF. Harper hasn’t fit our current roster.

Actually Machado fits better. Our weakest depth is middle infield, Gyorko won’t be around in 2020 and Wong has a bench bat.

If we’re spending 30mil on anyone I vote it goes to Goldy.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

You think Goldy on the downside is a better investment than Harper or Machado on the upside/prime?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Has anyone ever seen jj-cf-stl and Bill DeWitt in the same room? 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Machado has always made more sense for this club. I said it day one. It doesn’t really matter because we aren’t going to sign either one.

If this team really wanted to put the hammer down and shut the door in the Cubs face they would sign Kimbrel and trot out the best bullpen in the NL.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Yup doesn’t matter Dewitt way to cheap to get either, he is ok with full stadium and missing post season over and over.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Onyxgem

Participant

Free
    Yup doesn’t matter Dewitt way to cheap to get either, he is ok with full stadium and missing post season over and over.

I don’t know about that. I try not to communicate my views in extreme terms. We currently have the 9th highest payroll so I wouldn’t say we are definitely cheap. What bothers me is that I think this franchise has the ability to do more but they choose not to. They always try to do what they think they can get away with for a lack of a better phrase. Do enough to keep everyone interested but not enough to be a powerhouse.

To me the goal every year should be to win the division. The playoffs are a crap shoot but winning the division is a tangible goal. The analytics currently have us almost in a dead heat with the Cubs. If we were maxed out on payroll I would say I guess we have done all we can do but we aren’t maxed out on payroll. Not even close really. So an aggressive FO would be thinking “you know I don’t want to be in a dead heat with the Cubs. I would rather be ahead of the Cubs.” To do that will require another payroll boost. Unfortunately I’m not optimistic it will happen. If we were in the AL Central I would feel different about it but we aren’t in the AL Central.

NJ315
    Participant

Winning the division it is great but playing in the post-season and not winning the WS is a failure crap shoot or not.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NJ315

Participant

Free
    Winning the division it is great but playing in the post-season and not winning the WS is a failure crap shoot or not.

Not winning the WS is disappointing but it is extreme to call it a failure. It is comments like that which make it easy for the establishment do-nothing crowd to latch onto and say “see the FO can’t possibly please the fan base so why even try?” Don’t give them an easy out like that. They need to be held accountable but the expectations should be trying to win instead of guaranteeing a championship every season.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The analytics currently have us almost in a dead heat with the Cubs.

For some fans, analytics may be entertaining but they can be deceiving. The team that has good chemistry and sound management will be better than the analytics predict. Teams change players, management and coaches from season to season and so does the chemistry. What adds to good chemistry is players seeing other players trying their hardest and of course winning.

Teams lucky enough to have key players produce “career” seasons, and keep those same players on the field and off the DL, will also do better than expected. That’s where the X-factor comes in. Naturally, nobody can predict how the intangibles will play out during the season. IMO, the players will have a sense of how the team will fare by opening day.

Chalk teams and analytics favorites don’t always win because the players still have to play the games.

I think I saw the Orioles at 250-1. Ok, disregard this comment.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Has anyone ever seen jj-cf-stl and Bill DeWitt in the same room??

Yeah at the Wrigley u troughs back in the day…..JJ has him by a good 5 inches.

NJ315
    Participant

I thought every team’s goal from spring training is the win the WS. One achieves it the other 29 fail at different junctures. The but we are always in the hunt for the division title/wildcard mix is getting stale. Aim higher. I don’t want guarantees. I want a better plan.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Pugs…. you seem to be more rambunctious than usual in the last few days. What gives?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, I tried to pull that post back, but time had already elapsed, Nyquist. As far as any young posters are concerned, I was referring to JJ’s and Bill’s ties.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, our long national nightmare is not over…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bryce looks mighty trigger happy. Almost looks like he’s poised to draw down on somebody right there in the precinct…hate to see the look on his face when he was on his beat out in the hood on a late Friday night.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CC, yes, Goldy over Machado and Harper for the same AAV, going forward. Goldy for 5 seasons more.

Bryce has PA flaws. He plays full tilt and will miss time consistently. Already has and I expect it to continue.

Machado is a head case.

Goldy is the best bet to put up 600 PA’s year after year. Goldy also has one of the quietest swings in mlb. He’s straight to the ball, balanced. There’s really no baggage in his mechanics. I think his swing will age well.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Defining a Successful Season … TLR once said “You play 162 games to make the playoffs. Once there, it boils down to who gets hot.” I got upset when I heard him say that. Then I reflected a bit and came around to his way of thinking.

The objective of the club is to win the WS. However, you need to make the playoffs to have a chance. You then need to enter the playoffs with your better players healthy and in a positive frame of mind. It is not easy.

Making the playoffs is success. Going deep into the playoffs is better. Winning the WS is best!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only reason I suggest Harper is that he could had for less than the mega contract he and Boras was desiring. Perhaps to the point he might opt out after say 3 years, which might be in the Cards favor. Hopefully you could afford a Goldschmidt extension partly by Ozunas exit after 2019. Also, O’Neill, or someone else takes Ozunas place. It is likely a pipe dream, but the lineup, which already ought to be very good, gets even better.
    I’d say bullpen help is needed, but I have the feeling the front office is only looking at Norris type signing, or going with the young arms.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Perhaps the reason he is out there is that he can’t be had for less than the mega deal he wants.
    Eventually the suitors will go there own way and some lucky (unlucky) team will slip out of the bar at 2am wondering how they ended up with the hot chick. That rarely ends well, but sometimes people do crazy stuff.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 669 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.