Bryce Harper thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bryce Harper thread

This topic contains 668 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 651 through 669 (of 669 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Willie, Harper didn’t want the opt out. He wanted comfort and stability and he got that by being able to finish his career (13 years) in the same city. He also didn’t want the opt out clause because he said he wants to build a championship team and if his contract had opt outs it wouldn’t help him being able to recruit players to come and join in Philly.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I imagine that Stanton said the same things when he signed his 13 year deal with Miami. If he is sincere, Harper has to hope Philly ownership is more stable.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

blackhills, well I never heard him say that but thanks for the info. that’s all fine If all he wants is stability. but it also locks him in with a team that doesn’t have a good recent history. if all that is true, why didn’t he just sign that contract with the nationals and build his championship team there. im sure the nationals would have went the three extra years if that was a problem. I also heard that he turned down 4 years 180 million dollars with the dodgers. unless he doesn’t feel hes that good and wont be able to back it up and get a great contract in 4 years that’s financially not that good of a decision if true. say he being honest and wanted the longterm stability. having an opt out in 5 or six years wouldn’t have kept him from recruiting. in the end im happy for him but if the phillies don’t really turn their fortunes around over the next 5 to 10 years, I don’t want to hear him whining about being there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the future of the Phillies looks pretty bright. There is a certain guy who hails from the Philly area currently playing for the Angels that will be a free agent in two years. I’m sure they will have some stupid money waiting for him too since they understand the definition of going for it.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

There has been some talk that Trout might be in Philly when his contract expires. It is well known that he would love to play there, growing up a Phillies and Eagles fan.

The Phillies should be much improved in ’19. They added better players to close to 40% of their lineup (3 of 8).

Kind of funny, as the first time I saw Harper play professionally was in Harrisburg in 2011. Now he is returning somewhat close to that area.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

FiveThirtyEight has an interesting article on the newest Phillie –

Is It A Clown Question To Ask Why Bryce Harper’s Stats Are Down

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for sharing, UConn. They raised points much better than I ever could. 13 years is a looooong time.

What’s concerning is that even though some traits age well, like plate discipline, power generally does not. So if Harper’s defense continues to decline and he’s limited to a corner outfield position and continues to lose contact ability — if he becomes a Three True Outcomes hitter — he probably won’t age as the Phillies would like. He would likely morph from a highly sought-after asset, a 26-year-old star free agent, to the type of player easily found (a Three True Outcomes corner outfielder).

Because Harper was a prodigy in part as a result of relentless work and practice at a young age, he may have fulfilled his potential soon after his arrival in the majors…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting that some in the blogging community are using Harper as the tipping point for the Cardinals season. Also implied that the team is not “really good” without him and that what has occurred to date is a dumpster fire, I guess. Seems an overreaction to me, but based on the number of “likes”, there are a lot of people on Twitter who feel that way.

Meanwhile the Phillies are 5-1, so obviously, the 13-year deal is a good one!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Way too early to call Harper a flop. By mid-season his numbers will be there. He is too talented, and at a prime age. Unless there is some weird physical issue impairing him, he is going to be real good for the next 5 years at least. Still that leaves 8 years where he may be in decline, although who knows.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Phillies front office personnel deserve a pat on the back. They wanted to spend ‘stupid’ money and it’s starting to look like they succeeded with flying colors.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well we all know how patient and forgiving Phillies fans are. They once booed Santa Clause and threw batteries at JD Drew.

13 years is a long time. There will be plenty of ups and downs for Harper.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Wonder if he might catch the same mental illness that Fowler did when he was hitting below the Mendoza line.

Fowler seems to have been cured of his issues. They must have some prescribed some pretty good meds.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

I saw on the telecast where they were going around asking people if they were supporters of cardinals getting harper. kind of a silly thing really. also comparing g stats is a bit iffy. yea goldy is a little better this year but its negligible really. neither has been awesome, just moments of great like goldys three homer game. mostly average really for both. goldys career stats are better but goldy is mainly at best towards the end of his prime. harper is just coming to his if history is a guide. I would have liked both but I do like how harper hits the ball. ive always been a line drive guy and harper hits those a lot. I think he would hit more if he would forego trying to hit homers. he would be more like a hitter like don mattingly. homers would still be there to a point but a lot more doubles and singles. nothing wrong with hitting like mattingly, he was a great player. though I know people think that players that make harper money, should hit lots of homeruns. I don’t feel that way. I think you should just hit great.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I thought about posting the link to that segment, but decided not to because there wasn’t much to it.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I had hoped this thread would die after Harpér signed. I now see it’s going to last 13 years 🙂

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Lets see if Pujols gets the same reception.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Albert is not going to be booed in St. Louis.

cc, I for one am not going to let it go. I am waiting for Harper to have “the best years of his career ahead”, which I personally question. I even had one Cardinals fan insist this past off-season that Harper is “a sure Hall of Famer”. Good for Harper if he accomplishes these things, but I am not holding my breath.

Viewing 19 posts - 651 through 669 (of 669 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years