Bryce Harper thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bryce Harper thread

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 669 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They are not the only folks out there playing to their audience.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Harper and Machado were never at any time given even a moment of consideration. It was Donaldson and Goldschmidt and we ended up with Goldschmidt. Then Miller and off-season over. It’s a shame because they needed much more but it’s too late now. Hope for the best and get ready for the worst. Spring training is about here and I can’t wait. This is my fifty-sixth season. Go Cardinals!!!!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Padres are a legit suitor for both even thought the papers say they aren’t. It makes a lot of sense if they deal Will Myers before or after. Guy is an injury waiting to happen in the OF and has a contract you’s like to be rid of if you want to take on either and have that depth in the minors. That’s the only way it gets done.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

That is the most optimistic post Nate has ever written!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Harper, Machado, and even Kimbrel get all of the attention but out of the 245 available free agents 97 remain unsigned. Spring Training starts in two weeks.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

mspaid must have gotten some afternoon delight for the first time in a long while. I wonder what it’s like.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of the top 50 FA’s by MLBTR, 11 remain unsigned.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Maybe they are waiting for some team to be desperate enough to up their offer big enough for Harper and such…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The latest on Yahoo Sports/MLB says there are probably one – or more – mystery team(s) involved in the Bryce Harper situation. But the writer said he couldn’t figure out who the teams were. St. Louis was a team mentioned as a possibility.

Spring Training starts next week and neither Harper or Machado are signed yet. Will something shake loose this week?

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Maybe the reason Bowden cannot find them is that they exist in Scott Boras’ bag of tricks to increase bidding. Tried and true method to inject mystery teams into the mix late, getting teams to bid against themselves.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Such a strange saga. It seems like there are really only a couple contenders, with another team popping up here or there.

Watch him end up signing for 3-4 years somewhere in the end.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

So Boras has told multiple people that there is a mystery team. What a surprise.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t imagine these “new” teams will be in it unless they think the years or AAV will drop into their wheelhouse. I could imagine the Cards being one of those teams, but I doubt they would be serious about it unless he would take a shorter deal, like 6 or 7 years.

1982 willie
    Participant

it isn’t the cardinals. the cardinals did nothing this offseason but they spin it like they did something. goldshmidt was a great get but the cardinals didn’t really have to do anything. basically Arizona threw him at us for basically nothing. I know they were gonna probably lose him next year but it just seems weird that they couldn’t get more from someone else for him. though if they can get weaver back to form, it could work out a little. miller coming off a down year was also not that great of a get. yea if he returns to form, it will be a stroke of greatness but the ifs haven’t been going the cardinals way as of late. im still thinking we are gonna finish third. the brewers will better with a new full season with the guys they got last year and even though it pains me to say anything good about the cubs, I still think they are better than the cardinals. the cardinals have to have a lot of things go right for their offense to really gel and im not sure it will. their pitching could carry them but only if they stay healthy and that never seems to happen. their defense isn’t gonna improve that much if any. goldy is great but he is playing a position we didn’t really have a defensive problem at unless you count when Martinez was there. elsewise I still expect a lot of errors and plays not made. which since they hardly call errors anymore, the plays not made that should have been are what really stands out.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1982…that’s certainly a glass almost empty take. One could also say that nearly everything that could go wrong last year for the Cards did, and nearly everything clicked for Milwaukee while the Cubs were (as usual) pretty lucky injury-wise. I think it will be a close race.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Other than geography I don’t know why Harper would want to play for the Giants or Padres. The Giants are an old team with bloated contracts. They won’t be competitive for years. The Padres have a lot of good young players coming up but they will never have the payroll capacity to keep everyone.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From the lips of God… and the oddsmakers…

From BetOnline (www.BetOnline.ag, Twitter: @betonline_ag).

Who will sign Bryce Harper for the 2019 MLB Season?
    San Francisco Giants 1/1
    San Diego Padres 5/2
    Philadelphia Phillies 4/1
    Los Angeles Dodgers 15/2
    Washington Nationals 10/1

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well it’ll be hard for me to see the Cardinals make any more meaningful improvements to the team during ST. If anything they trade some guys off the 40-man roster like Gyorko. I don’t want Mozeliak to have a more difficult job than it already is.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Ok, I’ll bite. How can he know the mystery teams haven’t been told they are out if it is a mystery who they are?

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 669 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.