Bryce Harper thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bryce Harper thread

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 669 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Its replies like CC’s that I wish this site offered the use of GIFs. There’s a pretty good Eddy Murphy GIF that would be appropriate.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Semantics aside I’m thinking that the only two contenders that are offering offers that will get Harper’s attention are the Phillies and Nationals. I would be surprised if he doesn’t end up with one of those two.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Twitter this afternoon. Talk about the chief of lost causes…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know who Cory is but he obviously has no clue what is going on.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Harper is down to the Phillies and Nationals. Anyone else signing him at this point would be a huge surprise.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have a guy in O’Neill who could well provide Harper production or better at a tiny fraction of the price. Sure, he’s not a guaranteed thing but I see no reason to throw down the insane $$ for Harper.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Truth or controlled leak to try to drive up the offers? This reaction to Heyman led me to laugh.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems to me that if Harper signs with the Phillies it will only be because they were the high bidder. I get the impression he would prefer not to go there or he would have already done it. His preferences all along were probably the Cubs, Dodgers, and Yankees but those teams have stayed out of it for the most part.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The news is that Harper met with the Dodgers yesterday. My guess is they put a big AAV, short term deal on the table. If it is big enough, it might allow Boras to claim the highest annual salary ever, rather than go for the longest, biggest contract ever. What we don’t know is if the Phillies topped the Machado deal, which is the new high-water mark.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That can’t be for Harper. Just one armored car. He’ll need at least two. 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dang, Boras is good. He is even out-waiting NEXT YEAR’s free agents! 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, we need to give you the Boras Challenge. If you can go 24 hours w/o mentioning his name you win a 12 pack of Coke Zero or the soft drink of your choice. :o)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For the record, you mentioned him first today – on the Rumors thread. So there’s that… 😉

1982 willie
    Participant

I think harper in my opinion should bet on himself. if the dodgers are will to give 35 to 40 million a year for a shorter contract, id do it over a long term deal with the phillies. then if he shows that hes worth it, they probably would go back and extend him down the road. I still feel he is a better offensive option all around than what the cardinals have in the outfield by quite a bit and having him around for a while could have been nice but alas its not to be.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I first posted this on the Mikolas thread, but it fits better here.

VEB wrote about the Cards and Harper this morning, taking what I believe is a very balanced view of a decision that is not black and white.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2019/2/28/18244194/a-look-at-bryce-harper

NJ315
    Participant

Harper to the Phillies

NJ315
    Participant

330M

NJ315
    Participant

13 yrs????

NJ315
    Participant

Harper’s deal sets a new record, as Bowden first suggested. It’s a $330MM guarantee over thirteen years, per Jeff Passan of ESPN.com (Twitter links), with no opt-outs included.

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 669 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.