Bryce Harper thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bryce Harper thread

This topic contains 668 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 669 total)
  • Author
    NJ315
    Participant

There will be some opt-out opportunities in the deal, Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets, though a host of other reports have indicated to the contrary. Sherman says that other details remain to be sorted out as well.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Per MLBTradeRumors

2:02pm: There will be some opt-out opportunities in the deal, Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets, though a host of other reports have indicated to the contrary. Sherman says that other details remain to be sorted out as well.

1:57pm: Harper’s deal sets a new record, as Bowden first suggested. It’s a $330MM guarantee over thirteen years, per Jeff Passan of ESPN.com (Twitter links), with no opt-outs included.

1:52pm: The Phillies have agreed to a deal with star outfielder Bryce Harper, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network (Twitter link). The sides are hammering out the opt-out details, per Jim Bowden of The Athletic (Twitter links). Otherwise, it seems this agreement is set to be completed upon review of a physical.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting that Arenado got the higher AAV and the earlier opt out than either Machado or Harper. That says something about negotiating with your own team rather than hitting the market. Maybe a word of warning for Betts, Trout, DeGrom, Lindor?

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Obviously the story is very fluid. Others are reporting no opt-outs or deferrals :O

Per MLBTradeRumors

2:05pm: There are no opt-outs or deferrals, per Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post (Twitter link). The deal is said to have a front-loaded structure.

Harper receives full no-trade rights, MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez tweets.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oops. Article from way back this morning. I wonder how many years into the deal until Philly fans turn on him?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So, what does Trout get? 15 years/$450 million?

NJ315
    Participant

No Trout hits FA at 29. He will never get 15 yrs. He will get 10/450

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

My prediction for Trout: 8yrs/$320 Million

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Trout isn’t getting 450 million. Bryce and Machado couldn’t secure 350 million.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trout is a massively better player than Machado and Harper. Remember that he’s making $34M+ this year and next and is pretty much a lock to be worth all of it.

If he was a FA this year, he’d easily get $450 million but in two years he might not get quite that. As is, he’s probably “worth” $60M plus per year now and could net an AAV of $45M+ after 2020.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Harper saga is finally over!! Congrats to the Phillies owner for getting to spend some stupid money. Now will someone please sign Keuchel and Kimbrel so we can get on with the season??

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know the analytic guys don’t like subjective statements but does this qualify as going “all in” or “going for it”? It doesn’t even include Robertson and McCutcheon.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Harper has a decent shot at one day joining Mike Schmidt, Pete Rose, Ritchie Ashburn and Dick Allen in the Top 5 (position players) Phillies of all time club. JD Drew blew his chance.

mspaid
    Participant

That’s what’s called “getting serious” in the off season. The Phillies saw what they needed and went out and got it. For some reason the Cardinals are unable to do that.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy > Bryce, Nate.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Let’s get some perspective here. It has been eight long years since the Phils have finished above .500, so they better have added plenty if they want to contend. Their fans had to endure many, many off-seasons of NOT going for it while the Cardinals continued to compete. Now all the short-term memory folks call them darlings.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Well there goes the whole walk-out talk non-sense. Course baseball is a lot like real life – those that are in the upper tier of life rarely have any financial woes. It is those not quite so gifted who are more likely to struggle.

I don’t put Pete Rose in the top 5 Phillies, Pugs. He was not there long enough, and was past his prime at that point. Gotta put guys like Ed Delahanty, Sliding Billy Hamilton, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Chuck Klein and many others besides those you mentioned ahead of him. And don’t forget our own blunder, sending Steve Carlton to the City of Brotherly Love, where he stands tall with Alexander, Robin Roberts, and Jim Bunning in Phillie pitcher’s lore. Halladay is up there as well, but again he was not there long enough to merit the status of those others. All those guys are ahead of Pete. I might even put Greg Luzinski ahead of Pete.

Harper will likely go down as one of the greatest Phillies ever though. He should put up a few monster years with them. That is a nice park for hitters.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One common theme about the Harper and Machado deals is that both players took the contract that had the highest total guaranteed money.

Front offices should take note. The little pretty things like opt ins, opt outs, vesting incentives, and deferred payments aren’t always the way to go. I’m sure the union was pleased about this.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That deal is actually extremely reasonable, despite the big price tag. $22M in 2029-31 may be quite devalued in the market and not be that bad of a deal even if he’s mediocre.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well im glad harper got a good contract. though to be honest, if I was him I would have wanted some kind of opt out after five years. its why I think machado got the better deal. though I think he is a great player and would have really helped the cardinals, I think he has less impact other than maybe putting people in the stands. the phillies haven’t really been close to be good for a while. yea they were good for a minute last year but overall lately they haven’t been good. so an opt out would have been nice in case they don’t get some other players around him. but maybe he wanted the security of more money and knowing where he will be playing for a long while over the chance to win.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Finally this topic should be winding down to being finished. This one here will be 650 comments.

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 669 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years