Brad Miller Signing

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Brad Miller Signing

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, they’re capped at 13, jj.

But that doesn’t mean they have to have 13.

Participant

Free

What we know as fact….
    – the lineup is beyond awful
    – Bader is the worst of the bunch
    – Thomas is above avg in center and has a lot better upside

Seems like a no brainer to me to use Bader as the defensive replacement?

Participant

Free

There sure are a lot of people here who believe the measure of a player is batting average.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just noticing the size of the tribe.

Participant

Free

Triple, if they had 3 above average bats, a guy like Bader would be acceptable in the 8 hole. However, they have Wong and Goldy who are above average and nothing else. Runs need to be scored to win games.

Participant

Paid - Annual

On base percentage is the most important asset a batter has. You have to get on base first. I also think defense and base running are very underrated. I’m not a fan of putting a player out of his normal position just to get his bat in the lineup. For example, watching Carpenter play second was brutal. I hope they don’t do this for Miller.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m still wondering if DeJong is going to be in the #4 hole. Or if Dean is going to end up there.

Participant

Free

I was going to post something about optimal lineup, but wow, who is hitting 2nd, 4th and 5th?!?

Carlson’s profile will be great long term in the 2 hole, but that’s hopefully not until the end of April.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m rooting for who I think could emerge as a solid OF bat….
    Justin Williams.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m still wondering if DeJong is going to be in the #4 hole. Or if Dean is going to end up there.

I hope DeJong is not in the 4 hole but unfortunately we don’t have many choices.

I am not sure if Dean even makes the team that goes north.

Participant

Free

I second Gscott, I don’t see Dean making the cut.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why not?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Bader is not the worst based on a combination of offense and defense.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why not?

There will be five position player reserves. It is fair to assume that Wieters, Edman, Miller, and Thomas will make the cut. That leaves the final spot down to Sosa, Munoz, Williams, Ravelo, and Dean. (with an outside shot for Carlson).

Dean could certainly be the 26th man but I would say it is far from a foregone conclusion and even if he does make it is he going to be a starter in LF over O’Neill or Thomas? I would say highly unlikely unless he has a massive spring training performance.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s take a look at the AAA numbers for O’Neill, Bader, and Dean.

O’Neill – 884 ABs
    .267/.339/.554/.893/

Bader – 641 ABs
    .275/.345/.465/.810/

Dean – 568 ABs
    .331/.394/.546/.944

O’Neill is 24
    Bader is 25
    Dean is 26

O’Neill might just surprise you this season. He’s now had time at the ML level to know what it takes to succeed, even though he’s struggled a bit making the adjustment.
    This may be his year.

Participant

Free

What they have done in AAA means less than zero if it does not translate to the ML and has not for those 3 very well at all.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I meant to make a case for Dean. Sorry. What was his true motivation when he was called up to the Marlins in 2018 and 2019? Maybe now that he has a chance to play for a contender, in front of 40,000+ passionate fans he’ll be a true surprise for the Cardinals. Another Ludwick.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not that it will be the determining factor but the Miller signing lessens Carlson’s chances slightly due to the 40 man being full and Hicks already on the 60 day IL. Of course Mikolos may soon solve that problem.

Participant

Free

Bader is potentially equal overall, but for a team who’s lineup is awful, they need Thomas and his more than acceptable defense, who has a much better bat in the lineup. When they don’t have anyone to feel confident about for the 5 hole or more importantly the 4 hole, that’s a big issue and they can’t just give lineup spots away. If they had a “big three” or something in the middle then they could afford to give up the 8 spot for CF defense.

Participant

Free

– Thomas is above avg in center and has a lot better upside

I guess I need to ask what is that based on? I recall only seeing Thomas a very few times last season but I saw Bader a lot. Ain’t nobody beating Bader on defense. Offense he does need work but, for a time, he showed improvement but whatever lesson it was got forgotten at the end of the season. Retrain with the bat.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Bader to CF as Kozma was to SS?

Participant

Free

Actually Kozma usually batted .220-.230 and was roundly criticized for it. I was and still am a Pete Kozma fan. Today those BAs seem to be passable for some.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3 wrote:

Today those BAs seem to be passable for some.

Not for anyone making baseball decisions – unless there is another significant offensive strength behind it. That is why Kozma is a journeyman, with twice as many career Triple-A games as MLB ones.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Kozma had a glove, but was woeful at the plate. Bader’s 2019 slash line was eerily similar to Kozma’s career slash line.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wong
    14′ (.275) BAbip 90 wRC+
    15′ (.296) ……96
    16′ (.268) ……85
    17′ (.331) ……108
    18′ (.275) ……99
    19′ (.321) ……108

Bader
    18′ (.358) 107
    19′ (.268) 81

at ’em, or tween ’em still matters, even if it’s called BAbip now.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wong is a little guy with some speed that got carried away with trying to jack the ball over the fence. He’s now just trying to make contact. One thing about him though, he knows that when you put the bat on the ball anything can happen. Even a little scribbler down the line in the infield can go for a base hit with his speed. In his major league career, he has a 15% strike out rate.

The problem with Bader is that he hasn’t caught on yet. He’s got blazing speed but hasn’t put emphasis on the contact portion of it. Here’s his strike out rate since coming to the majors –

2017 – 26%
    2018 – 29%
    2019 – 29%

No improvement at all. Is he still swinging for the fences in his 3rd year up? If he is, that could exhibit a little bull headedness.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years