Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 451 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

If it makes you fee better to throw him under the bus so you don’t get your hopes up again that’s fine.

Jager, that’s not throwing somebody under the bus. The fact is, Reyes will have accumulated two years of service time and is still considered a prospect by innings pitched.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would interpret that as PR posturing and trying to be optimistic.

Maybe, maybe not. I would assume Girsch is relaying what the doctors told him. It is my understanding that the Reyes injury is less severe than the Peavy injury.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Reyes can still be a good to great pitcher throwing low 90s if he has the great breaking pitch going, and masters the art of location. In today’s game about all anyone talks about is velocity, but that is only one part of the pitching repertoire, and not necessarily even the most important part. Location is the key, and then changing speeds and throwing something with a break.

Not sure if any top pitching prospect has had such an injury-filled start to their career. I guess one guy that comes to mind is Jim Palmer. He had a real good rookie year at 20, then missed the better part of two full seasons before coming back and staying relatively healthy the rest of his career.

Ray Washburn was a top Cardinal prospect who threw extremely hard, but his career was delayed several seasons before he finally was able to stay healthy. And when he did finally stay in the rotation, he was nowhere near the hard thrower he had been.

John Fulgham comes to mind as a guy who looked be maybe a #2 starter, where injuries early on ended his career.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting name, John Fulgham. I would say the Cards haven’t been the luckiest with pitcher development. Despite all of the franchises success, there were many pitchers cut short to potentially great careers. Scipio Spinks, John Fulgham, Alan Benes. Cardinals motto seems to be to coach pitchers up with moderate talent (see Kent Bottenfield, Bob Tewksberry, with the former enabling us to get Jim Edmonds), not take great prospects and make them better. No doubt there is some luck there also.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Daryl Kile also comes to mind, although he was probably 30 or so when he passed away.

14NyquisT
    Participant

This is a pessimistic view on the Reyes injuries and his status as a prospect going forward. But its something to read and consider.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/will_alex_reyes_ever_reach_his_full_potential/s1_7899_26603936

PadsFS
    Participant

Pretty amazing that he is pitching despite his daughter going through cancer. That has to be mentally exhausting. I hope she overcomes the cancer.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Closing this loop.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Thanks Brian!

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Thanks Brian!

Think of the oddity if on the terrible thought Reyes were to be out all next season. He would become arbitration eligible while still a rookie!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good work Brian.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You are welcome, all. I like a fun challenge and sometimes get good ideas from the discussion right here.

CC, I was thinking about that very thing the other day. Preparing for his arbitration hearing case would be a real challenge with such little concrete results to go on.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know it’s early, but I wonder what role Reyes will have next year? Will he being the season starting, and move to the bullpen to conserve innings, or vice versa? I think they should be cautious with him, but there is no reason to have the same plan as this spring with him.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I know it’s early, but I wonder what role Reyes will have next year? Will he being the season starting, and move to the bullpen to conserve innings, or vice versa? I think they should be cautious with him, but there is no reason to have the same plan as this spring with him.

As long as he is not injured and able to pitch he definitely needs to be a starter. I don’t see any reason to baby him anymore starting next spring. I mean, after all, he will be what, 24 years old?

I just hope, as others have said, that he’s not going to be one of those guys that is always injured and loses his career.

r/Rat

14NyquisT
    Participant

With so much emphasis on the bullpen in the last few years, I see him working there in ’19. So much potential with so many problems, physical and others, I just want to see him pitching somewhere with the Cards.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If there is an innings limit they might as well start in the pen. I guess that will depend on need. I just hope he is healthy and the is a limit to worry about. If he had been healthy this year, I believe we would be neck and neck with the Cubs.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It just occurred to me that Reyes might be out of options in 2019? BUt I guess he will be dealing with rehab, so that may not come into play early in 2019.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just the opposite. He has not used any.

2019 is a big year for Reyes in many ways, including he hits arbitration for the first time for 2020.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good news. SO he has to be sent down to minors for options to be used, which I guess he never was, even in 2016.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fewer than 20 days down in any given year do not burn an option.

Not sure that it is good news. Reyes already has over two years of MLB service time, almost all of which has been spent on the DL. As a result, he is on track to become a free agent after just four more seasons.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is he healthy? Its been 5-6 months since he had the issue in Milwaukee. Will he be fully recovered and ready to pitch when spring training starts?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody got any updates on Reyes?

Last info from Goold was that he wont be a starter?

Anything new here?

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It has only been two weeks since the last update and this is the middle of the winter. Nothing has changed. I did not see any declaration for sure that he will not be a starter. He is going to prepare as one and they will decide later. I can’t see this changing until after they start throwing baseballs.

Here is Goold’s article from a few days ago.

“The Cardinals expect him to be strong and close to full speed by the time spring training opens in mid-February, and they have him scheduled to arrive as a starter. From there, the team’s need and the 24-year-old righthander’s readiness could assign him any role from starter to reliever, closer to Class AAA Memphis’ rotation, and in every case his innings will be managed.”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/reyes-rerun-cardinals-take-cautious-approach-with-longtime-top-prospect/article_80e1d4a3-ea67-5428-9e03-9df8d10113ca.html

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 451 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.