Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 424 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As frustrating as his situation has been the Cardinals really have nothing to gain by trading him and certainly nothing to gain by releasing him. His trade value would be minimal so as long as he is making the league minimum we should just ride it out. I mean we are going to end up paying Brett Cecil $30M to do nothing and Reyes would cost a fraction of that.

The best thing to do is to build our pitching staff next year assuming he won’t be part of it but if he shows up then it is a bonus.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody got any news or updates on Mr. Reyes?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I read recently that Reyes is completely healthy and looking forward to 2020.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s funny I didn’t even include Reyes in my Memphis 2020 rotation thread. But I guess he will likely either be in St Louis contributing, or injured.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder why they don’t send him to the AFL if he is healthy?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Alex who? A year or two ago, upon hearing the name “Alex”, my very first thought would have been “Reyes”. But that has changed. Now, the very first thing that would pop into my mind would be “Trebek” and then “Rodriguez” secondly. I think “Reyes” would probably come in right around #19, right after my next door neighbor’s pool guy, who I recognize as “Alex the pool guy”. It’s certainly not Reyes’ fault. This man can no longer be looked at as a starter. He wouldn’t make it to Cinco De Maya in that capacity. But it’s still possible, though remotely so, that he could survive as a member of the bullpen without breaking down over the course of a season. Good luck Alex…..we’re pulling for you!

Participant

Free

Not Alexander the Great at #1 Pugs? If he’s going to be in STL, at least one year in the BP would have to be assumed. With the depth they have in the BP, that might not be a guarantee right away. How many option years does he have left?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh wow, CardsFanInChiTown! You’re dead on correctomundo. How could I ever forget about Alexander “The Great”?????? Great catch and shame on me.

Participant

Free

Pugs I’m as disappointed in you as I am the Cards bats the last two days!! Hah

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t blame you one bit, CardsFanInChiTown. I think our boys are ready to redeem themselves with a big 6th inning. Absolutely unbelievable that they have been unable to solve this Senzy fellow thus far. Go Birds!

Participant

Free

And they got kicked in the Chi Chi last night…..

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Whats the latest on Reyes as we head into the off-season?

Anybody got any news?

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

Trade him while he has any value at all.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Very bad advice to sell low, nate. Given how little he would fetch now because of his uncertain health, it is far, far better to see what they have in the spring, which is exactly what will happen.

Rats, wait until spring when Reyes actually gets on a mound against live competition. Any reports between now and then will only be speculation – and probably overly-optimistic.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with Brian. See what you have in the spring. A healthy Reyes can be a difference maker.

Participant

Free

Trading him at this point would be like selling a 1/20 odds, million dollar lottery ticket, for $10K.

He might be the most “boom or bust” player I recall, going into next year, and the year after, and the year after that.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So, as I type this, is Reyes healthy? Or does he still have some lingering health issues? And if so, is he expected to be 100% recovered by spring training?

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So, as I type this, is Reyes healthy? Or does he still have some lingering health issues? And if so, is he expected to be 100% recovered by spring training?

r/Esteemed Rat

Yes. 😉

skippy mckillskippy mckill
    Participant

Free

Put me in the no expectations category. If he’s healthy and can be anywhere from a solid reliever to a #2 starter, then great. If he sits on the IR all year again at least you’re not paying him $8M to do so. But he’s worth keeping unless somebody is willing to overpay for him.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, if Alex Reyes himself posted here and gave you 100% assurance about his health, would you really believe it? (Not calling him a liar, but most of us seem to understand there is no way to know for sure.)

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I cannot imagine that he won’t be 100% by spring. He has had time and care to heal. The issue is durability. His body seems to rip apart when he pitches. I have lived through John Fulgham, Andy Rincon, Alan Benes, and enough others to realize he just may never pitch for us.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I doubt Reyes will ever have much of a career at the big league level. If he does manage to get through a few seasons, he likely won’t be the phenom he looked to be due to all of the trauma his body has taken from the injuries. Still there is room for him to be a decent middle innings guy and spot starter.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Does anyone feel that he will realize his full potential at any point? Or do we keep expectations low and figure whatever we get is a plus. Most likely somewhere in between.

Management keeps his profile low so that’s not going to help optimism.

Participant

Paid - Annual

He has the floor of a middle reliever, but a ceiling of an ace. I can’t think of many who have 4 plus pitches. But his 2019 results, even when healthy, were very pedestrian. How could he get hit that hard? I wondered beyond his below average control, that he was tipping pitches?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Plenty of pitchers have had their careers ruined by injury, never to have any chance to reach their potential because they can’t stay healthy at all. There have been some others, however, you have managed to come back and have relatively productive careers. We can’t know fully whether Reyes is the former or the latter. It’s best to assume that anything we can get is a nice bonus. It’d be good to have him in place like the Dodgers have some of their talented but fragile arms ready to go 70-100 innings as fill in starters to keep the main guys from being overtaxed.

That said, if I had to bet, I’d say that Reyes has a couple of solid seasons and a few more injury plagued ones. Hopefully the solid ones come with the Cards.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 424 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years