Alec Burleson

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alec Burleson

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 386 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Forsch – take your choice.

Stratton
    Whitley
    Walsh
    Robertson
    Capel

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The bigger question is who would they remove from the 26 man roster.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Why are people in such a hurry to clone Corey Dickerson?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Bc, ok, that’s your list. Now, who do you think the Cardinals will take off the 40 man just to bring up Burleson?

bccran
    Participant

I listed the possibilities above, Forsch.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Stratton – just acquired bullpen arm. Not happening.
    Whitley, Walsh – decent pitchers for the bullpen. Not happening.
    Robertson – INF depth in area of weakness. Not happening.
    Capel – one of few capable CF players in case of injury to Carlson. Not happening.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

But if Nootbaar reverts to the very average Nootbaar who came through the minors, I’d replace him with Burly quickly.

So you conclude there is not a place for Burleson on the roster currently.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yepez is on track to return in a few days, to the 13th spot on the roster to which bccran refers.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If there was a need to clear a 40 man roster spot, I’d think Walsh, or Marx might be moved to the 60 day DL. I’m not sure of eithers return status.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Capel.can be outrighted if he clears waivers which I think.he would. Robertson as well though not as confident of clearing waivers.

Hard tô make the case that replacing Capel with Burlson hurts roster death.

My only concern about adding Burlson is it one less 40 man roster spot for the off season.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They could probably make room for him on the 40 man if they wanted but making room on the 26 man roster is a different story.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar said:

They could probably make room for him on the 40 man if they wanted but making room on the 26 man roster is a different story.

Precisely. That is the point CC also made. There is no reason to put him on the 40-man until he is actually needed in StL. If that isn’t this season, that means one more prospect can be protected this winter, as Burleson will not be Rule 5-eligible in 2022.

bccran
    Participant

I wouldn’t even begin to try to justify Robertson or Capel over Burleson when it comes to the 40 man.

And as far as the 26 man, as stated before, you’d have to choose between Donovan, Yepez, and Burleson.
    Somehow I seem to think Burly will be a better player in the long run than the other 2. But that’s just an opinion based upon their comparative minor league track records.
    Then you have Nootbaar, who’s performing for the time being far above any expectations. That could come back to earth real fast.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yepez is not currently on the 26 man active roster.

So the Cardinals should demote the red hot Nootbaar or Donovan, who has been good all year and can play all over the field? I don’t see it happening.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bc, Albert and Yepez are not “a bit redundant”. They may both be RH batters but they have opposite handedness splits vs pitchers.

The last season that AP hit RH pitchers well was back in 2016 (.770 ops). He is best vs LH pitchers with .900+ ops’ last season and 2022.

Yepez is a .798 vs righties and a .594 vs lefties to start his career. AP and Yepez actually pair very well as a platoon.

Dickerson and Yepez are redundant. Neither has hit lefties well, even tho they use different batter boxes.

bccran
    Participant

Didn’t say they should demote the red hot Nootbaar. Said if he cools off and returns to norm they should perhaps think about demoting him in favor of Burly.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Time isn’t on Burly’s side. 2023 will be different when Dickerson and Albert aren’t on the roster.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

When Yepez is ready I think consideration hás tô be given tô demoting Gorman. After a hot start he hás cooled off and could probably benefit most from more development in Memphis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This month, Gorman’s OPS is .969. That was before tonight as he just doubled off the wall to drive in the only run in the 1-0 game. He’s not going anywhere – other than on the next road trip with the Cardinals. 😉

Also, coming into tonight, Nootbaar’s OPS this month is .998. Last month, it was 1.030. He has clearly earned more time.

P.S. Nootbaar’s career “norm” is an OPS+ of 112. If he reverts from his 2022 OPS+ of 118 to that, it would not be a demotion type situation.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Ufa, I misspoke about Gorman.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When Yepez is activated he will probably go to Memphis unless Dickerson goes on the IL.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I dunno about that, gscottar. Marmol’s comments today were pretty specific about the plan for Yepez to finish his rehab this weekend and return to the Cardinals. Through tonight’s game for Memphis with one game to go, Yepez’ Memphis OPS is .914.

Dickerson is playing tonight so can’t be too badly hurt. (Then again, he didn’t look good in RF on the game-leading triple.)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Yepez and Dickerson stay in St. Louis then Donovan or Gorman would have to go down.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And that would probably mean Donovan… or they could go with 12 pitchers, but with the five-game series with Chicago coming, I think that would be less likely. One benefit of two new starters that are going deeper into games is that the pen usage is down somewhat.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I think if Yepez returns to St. Louis after today then Dickerson goes on the IL.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 386 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.