Alec Burleson

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alec Burleson

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 379 total)
  • Author
    Oliver
    Participant

Free

It looks more like a donkey but your point is well taken.

bccran
    Participant

Very nice post, gscottar. Judgmental, but rather cute.

bccran
    Participant

Here’s the point, gscottar –

O’Neill – .222/.287/.343/.630
    Carlson – .237/.308/.392/.700
    Nootbaar – .239/.335/.428/.763
    Dickerson – .233/.278/.363/.641
    Yepez – .254/.298/.459/.758
    Capel – .176/.211/.353/.563

Your outfield as it stands right now.

Is that beating a horse? Is that a point well taken,
    Oliver?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill – .222/.287/.343/.630
    Carlson – .237/.308/.392/.700
    Nootbaar – .239/.335/.428/.763
    Dickerson – .233/.278/.363/.641

So which of these four guys are the Cardinals going to remove from the active roster to promote Burleson now?

It isn’t going to be O’Neill or Carlson for sure.

Nootbaar has been red hot. The last 14 days: .324/.429/.568/.996
    Dickerson is being paid $5M and hot lately. The last 28 days: .355/.364//.516/.880

I could see Burleson as a September callup.

bccran
    Participant

I agree about September. Unless they send TON down to work on his swing and plate discipline.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree with your posts gscottar, except your last point. As I said back on page whatever of this going nowhere saga, the Cards can only add two players in September and chances are good they will be pitchers. And if they do add a hitter, it will probably be someone like Yepez with MLB experience. Sorry for being repetitive.

bccran
    Participant

You know, Brian, when a poster posts on here they are just trying to engage in baseball conversation. If it results in a “going nowhere saga” that’s very disconcerting and sad. So sorry for the disruptive incidences this has caused. Will try to be more original, constructive, intellectual, and informative, like telling you what I’m going to have for din-din every night.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Speaking of dinner, it seems to be getting hot in the kitchen… 😉

bccran
    Participant

No, Brian, it’s selective chastisement that becomes redundant. It better defines a going nowhere saga.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perhaps one should not take personally a general comment about the direction of a thread.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Per my point from earlier, the most immediate issue is what do to with Yepez. (Burleson was not mentioned in this article.)

bccran
    Participant

Perhaps one should be more understanding, patient, and less critical.

As far as Yepez, he deserves to be in the lineup, but mainly as a DH.
    With Bader gone, the 5 outfielders should probably be Carlson,
    O’Neill, Nootbaar, Dickerson, and Burleson. Don’t most teams carry 5 outfielders?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have been trying to explain this. Let me try again with all the names and the numbers. Rosters are 26 players. 13 are pitchers. With a DH, nine of the 13 position players are starters. That leaves a four-man bench.

Assuming Yepez is back, the incumbents don’t even fit, let alone the proposed addition of Burleson.

For example:
    OF starters: O’Neill, Carlson, Nootbaar
    DH: Yepez
    IF: Goldy, Edman, DeJong, Arenado
    C: Yadi
    Bench: Knizner, Albert, Gorman, Dickerson

No room for Donovan and anyone else…

This isn’t a vendetta against Burleson.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Donovan isn’t playing much. I could see the FO sending him down for regular playing time.

I think it should be O’Neill demoted to work on making contact. Dickerson fills a OF role and Yepez a DH role.

Dickerson for O’Neill hurts the D but Yepez bat more than makes up for Tyler’s struggles at the plate.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perhaps, jj, but Donovan’s likely long-term role will be coming off the bench, not as an every-day starter. He’d better get used to being productive even with irregular playing time.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t think O’Neill is close to being sent down despite not hitting well recently. In his 18 games since coming off the IL, he does have two homers, 10 RBI and 11 runs scored, all same as Carlson during that time.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

I hope the FO feels that way about Donovan too.

bccran
    Participant

If DeJong can be sent down, why can’t O’Neill, Donovan, Nootbaar, or Dickerson if they don’t produce?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nootbaar is one of the hotter hitters on the team. So is Dickerson. Also, because of his MLB service time, Dickerson cannot be sent to the minors without his consent. O’Neill was eighth in the MVP vote last year and is in just his 19th game since coming off the IL.

As I said already, Donovan is most likely to draw the short straw for Yepez, but over the last month, his OPS is right at .700 – not great, but not terrible, either.

P.S. DeJong was given over a month before being sent down despite numbers that were far, far worse than any of the players mentioned in this discussion. An OPS of .417 to be precise, which was the worst in all of MLB at the time.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

I’ll give the Cardinals credit for giving O’Neill plenty of playing time since returning, but that .571 ops is the worst on the active roster during those 18 games.
    We all need him to get hot, but how is that best accomplished? Do you let O’Neill keep starting and assign Yepez to Memphis?

bccran
    Participant

The goal is to have the very best 13 position players that you can on your roster. If you think all 13 plus Yepez are better than Burleson would be, than you have made your case.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Let’s be realistic. The goal is to have the best 13 players that fit within financial and roster constraints.

You dodge the point by continuing to be vague. How about being specific? Who would you send down? What would your roster look like?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Brian, there is not only how a poster would make things work but how the Cardinals are likely to make it work. We can think the moving of the chairs is easy but the Cardinals are still reluctant to just lose someone from the roster because Burleson needs a look in the majors.

bccran
    Participant

The skew is because of Albert and the new NL DH rule. Normal configuration would be 2 catchers, 7 infielders, and 5 outfielders. With Albert, there are 8 infielders and only 4 outfielders. With 9 hitters in the everyday lineup. To make a place for Burly, you would have to send down one of the infielders (probably Donovan) and opt for Burly over Yepez. In actuality, Albert and Yepez are a bit redundant.
    So it would boil down to a choice of Donovan, Yepez, or Burleson for that 13th slot. But if Nootbaar reverts to the very average Nootbaar who came through the minors, I’d replace him with Burly quickly.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Bc, who will the Cardinals (Mo/Girsch) jettison off the 40-man roster to bring up Burleson?

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 379 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.