Affiliate observations 2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations 2022

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 250 total)
  • Author
    Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Johan Quezada is throwing strikes for Memphis. One walk and 15 K’s in 9 innings.
    Very encouraging. He’s struggled with control most of his career. Maybe he’s
    turned the corner.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed. In fact, James Brisintine singled Quezada out in the Memphis Notebook posted just this morning.

Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any chance catcher Julio Rodriguez is back on the radar? His offense has picked up. There was some discussion a few years ago whether he should be protected on the 40 man roster. He’s lost significant time to injuries but with Yadi retiring and Herrera unproven any chance he gets a shot as a backup?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Julio Rodrigues has to be in the 49 man roster add conversation.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Davila with another solid outing. 6 innings of one run allowed.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trogrlic-Iverson has 14 plus innings of scoreless innings in August.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really would lie to have seen Pacheco given a chance a few months ago. Ideally, Mo wouldn’t have signed all the retread relievers, and maybe he would have debuted already. Seems unlikely in the heat of the playoff chase that he will be given a chance.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just don’t understand what the FO is doing with Hence. With 4 more innings next week he’ll be at 52 plus innings. And I believe their theory is adding 20% more innings to young pitchers their following seasons. (Like Reyes) if that is the case, Hence will be 25 before he is allowed to throw 150 innings. I think he needed his endurance tested at some point. I believe he threw like 57 pitches yesterday.

bccran
    Participant

L.J. Jones was 4 out of 5 today(including a grand slam), with 8 RBI.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matt Hickey has not been scored on yet for the Beach Birds. I saw him pitch once and it looked like he pitched side arm against right handlers and 3/4 against left handed batters. Low 90s fastball, and might be very tough on righties. Not a sexy pick, but may be useful in middle relief.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess we will keep waiting on the Cards to extend Hence until next year. Lesss than 60 pitches through 4 innings? Forthe whole season? Seems crazy not to challenge his endurance.

bccran
    Participant

Nice game by some of the guys at Memphis last night –

Yepez – 1 for 3 with a HR and 2 BBs
    Herrera – 2 out of 3 with 2 walks
    Pages – 2 out of 5
    Burleson – 3 out of 5 with 4 RBI

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dionys Rodriguez, after a rough start is starting to put it together. Had 2.79 era in August, with his last outing being 5 no hit innings with 7 Ks.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting if Walker and/or Winn get a promotion when Springfields season ends. Memphis plays an additional week after Springfields season conclusion.

14NyquisT
    Participant

It looks like two affiliates will make the play-offs. Palm Beach is almost 100% in and Springfield has a very good shot. The S-Cards are 1 game ahead of Arkansas for 2nd place (top two from each division qualify).

Spfd has two series left one against San Antonio at home and the other is a road trip to Tulsa while ARK has to play at Amarillo and a series at home vs. Corpus Christi. A little more excitement to follow closely before the Cards start their play-offs.

Memphis is not going to make the play-offs which is probably a good thing since there will be no concerns about player movements to and from STL.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unfortunately for Springfield, the playoff qualification rules changed. In the Texas League, only the 1H and 2H division winners get in. So second place isn’t good enough. Springfield would have to make up five games in the standings with 12 games to go and no head-to-head games remaining with first-place Wichita. Not impossible, but unlikely.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I must have read the league’s qualifications wrong. Thanks for the correction BW.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m surprised Winn and Walker won’t get a cup of coffee with Memphis. But that should be their location next year, although Winn might not begin his season there.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I don’t see why the organization is still sending Garrett Williams out to start for Memphis. When he does it amounts to a bullpen game and he is 0-7 with a 7.63 ERA. Wouldn’t be more sensible to send up Leahy or even Graceffo to AAA. Both had poor starts in August but are pitching very well in September. Getting either one a start or two would seem to be more beneficial. Its not like the Redbird’s games are meaningful at this point.

bccran
    Participant

Another question might be why that rotation slot is being given to a 28 year old.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Redbirds were eliminated from playoff contention. Their only role now is to have MLB-ready players when St. Louis needs them. McGreevy and Graceffo have both thrown a lot of innings in their first full seasons. Leahy has already been promoted to Memphis.

Winn and Walker are getting a short breather before they play six more weeks in the Arizona Fall League.

The general situation is not new news. The Triple-A rotation has been a patchwork all season long. Neither Thompson nor Liberatore performed as hoped. The Double-A group was even worse except for the two named above. When there is little depth, there is no one to move up. Class-A pitching was better, but they are some distance from Memphis at this time.

I trust the Cardinals know what is best for the players. They have information we don’t.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They had a promising rotation in the spring, but it is now very depleted.

The top guys remaining have struggled – Thomas and Liberatore.

Plus they let two of the more promising arms go as well in Oviedo and Rondon.

Then Thompson, Pallante, and Woodford are on the ML roster.

bccran
    Participant

I still don’t understand why Rondon was put on waivers.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting comments. I see it differently.

The Cardinals didn’t exactly let Oviedo go. The guy they got in return has been great in St. Louis’ rotation, something that Oviedo had been unable to do as of yet. Maybe he will improve in the future, but for 2022, a vast majority of fans would do that trade every day.

Rondon WAS let go – and after leaving, it went from bad to worse. He posted an ERA over 10 with the Giants Triple-A club and was released in August. I don’t think the Cardinals are missing him. You shouldn’t either.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nolan Gorman is 0-9 with 6 Ks in his return to Memphis. He’s definitely in a slump.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 250 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.