Affiliate observations 2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations 2022

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 250 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A few early observations:

The pitching seems much improved. Of course it was very bad last year bordering on historically bad.

After reading Brian’s updated top 50: I think our team rankings will improve Into the top 10 again, perhaps better if our 2022 draft is very good.

Another positive is that many prospects improved their stock in these opening weeks of the season. Fewer have started poorly.

I think Memphis is loaded, and may win the AAA championship.

There seems to be too many starting pitchers for the 4 full season clubs. IMO, pitchers like Rondon, Graggand Perreira will regain starting jobs, and thus improve their prospect status.

Some of first promotions I’d like to see would be Winn, Graceffo, Mcgreevy, Granillo, and Perez. Also, Gomez would be an interesting addition to Memphis’ already stacked lineup.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Gorman’s power production: 7HR…. 7RBI.

Hey Redbirds…. get some guys on base before Gorman gets up.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman and Gomez with 10 homers so far in this early season.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mcgreevy/Graceffo/Rodriguez/Mills impressive stats at Peoria and Palm Beach:

75 1/3 innings, 44 hits, 10 earned runs, 13 walks (9 by Rodriguez), 76 strikeouts, a very tidy 1.20 era.

Another nice set of stats for relievers Granillo/Dalatri/Gerard/Pope

25 innings, 50 strikeouts.

Looks like Springfield should get some starting help, with Peoria getting bullpen and Mills.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Where are Ralston and Torres? IMO, Torres needs to have a good year to keep in the top 30. Ralston has a high strikeout rate, with a floor of being a solid reliever.

14NyquisT
    Participant

C-27 both Ralston and Torres are on the IL. I’m trying to get some info on their conditions.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fernandez has been pitching well at Memphis. With his live arm, and the fact he has only 1 option left, he should get a another chance this year.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like Winn should move up to AA. Middle infielders are kind of sparse on the A level rosters but that shouldn’t factor in.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think Pages hás passed Rodriguez as the #2 catching prospect.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s an excellent observation, webiators. The bots are even starting to contribute to the discussion, it seems like. Lol

14NyquisT
    Participant

Palm Beach got another win behind Paniagua vs St Lucie today 5-2. Rivas continues to heat up…. 4-4 2B.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Panaiagua probably wont make it past high A ir just a quick looks at AA but he will be rule 5 eligible in the off season.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rivas isn’t showing a lot of pop yet, but it’s fair to say that he just turned 19 in March and Palm Beach is where power goes to die.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know Liberatore is only 22 but this is his second season in AAA. He is starting to look to me more like a maybe .500 pitcher than a dominant one. He had a couple of good showings vs so-so teams and then Friday got hit around by by a better one. I’d like to see some significant improvement over last year.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Libby’s Ks are up and walks down. He’s sporting a high BABIP allowed right now, which is what’s making his stats look not so great. I’m overall encouraged by his development. Is he an ace? Probably not. But if he’s a solid #2 guy we probably will be very happy, and that looks well within the range of outcomes right now. Look at Waino’s minor league stats for comparison.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Memphis has disappointed me so far. Oviedo has already given up 11 homers. Liberatore and Thompson had one brilliant outing each, but mediocre otherwise. But on the flip side, they are young, and need the AAA experience.
    And can’t wait to see players like Graceffo, Gomez, and Winn challenged at higher levels. That should happen in the next few weeks.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Players can’t hang around in A ball like before.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The draft will shake things out.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Malcom Nunez is not hitting much at Springfield. It would be nice to see him pick up the pace. At one time most of us thought he had a very bright future. I guess he still has time.

An interesting battle to watch over the next few weeks and months will be Nootbaar and Burleson. I don’t see both of them staying in the organization long term since they are similar players.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Fletcher was promoted from Extended tô low A Palm Beach. The results só far could not be worse – 9 Ab’s and 9k’s

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its all about results, so lets take a look so far.

Palm Beach low A 11-20, 10 games back in Florida State League
    Peoria high A 13-18, 9 games back in Midwest League, West Div.
    Springfield AA 13-18, 5.5 back in the Texas League, North Div.
    Memphis AAA 17-16, 5.5 back in Int. League, West Div.

Cumulative 54-72. (.428)

Yikes

14NyquisT
    Participant

I thought the system would improve this season. Last season there were so many prospects that were underachieving and playing below their potential and expectations. However we are seeing a system that is very similar to ’21. There are a handful of position players that are showing good production… one or two playing at each level. Same with pitching…. most are reverting back to last season.

If you check the Cards affiliates’ team stats they are near the bottom of their leagues in each category. A repeat of ’21. Its still only May and historically there could be vast improvement by some prospects but very few will fit on that list. Some will fizzle when promoted. Watch carefully for the guys that improve upon being promoted.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

There seems to be another donut hole in the system as there are very few at the lower levels worthy of promotion.

Fletcher, Baez and Holgate all seem to be busts at this point.

There is no hitting at Palm Beach. Peoria only has Winn and Buchberger on the position player side. When those two are promoted along with McGreevy, Graceffo & Rodriguez, Peoria will be lucky to win one third of their games.

Walker’s defense at third reminds me of Yepez’. He might become a DH unless they start transitioning him to the outfield.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting stat for Peoria players Winn and Antico. 27 stolen bases between them, 0 times thrown out. And Antico is only hitting .175. If Antico can hit for better average, and cut down on strikeouts, he could steal 50+ bases.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Walker’s defense at third reminds me of Yepez’.

All we hear about Walker is homers and OPS. Same with Gorman.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 250 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years