Affiliate Observations 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 297 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

What do you think, BB and 25?
    Doesn’t have to be a detailed list like TCN has with in-depth comments. Just a quick vote Top 50 that we all can enjoy.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not opposed to the idea at all, but whether and how much time and effort I will feel like putting into it after the season is unknown.

I should mention that I am somewhat of a stick in the mud when it comes to these prospect rating lists. I care nothing about the kids in the DSL or teenagers in the lowest levels, I guess Complex League now. When they grow up and start playing against other grown ups on a full season club there is something meaningful to consider. I also think its a waste of time to put any finer edge on it than groupings. Top 5, next 5, next 10, etc., rather than who is 1 and who is 2 or 14 and 15. After 20 or 30, its just a pack of hopefuls who may show something and become actual prospects some day. I know that sort of takes the fun out of it.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Doesn’t have to be a detailed list like TCN has with in-depth comments. Just a quick vote Top 50 that we all can enjoy.

Why not make a new poll idea that doesn’t conflict with the one Brian set out as an incentive to become members? Are you adverse to Brian earning fees to partially offset his costs?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

so cal, cranny is talking about a participant generated ranking sort of like the off season countdown that we do each year, except just after the season rather than later and without a weighted contribution from Brian or any other sober voice of reason. I don’t see it as conflicting with Brian’s ranking updates but rather a potentially amusing pass time after the season.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dickson released

bccran
    Participant

I agree with BB, we don’t have to do 50. Maybe we could do the top 30, with 8 hours to vote.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would for sure miss the votes that happen while I am at work and commuting.

bccran
    Participant

24 hours for each round?

bccran
    Participant

Looks like there’s very little interest.
    Maybe we can do it some other time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you recall, prior to covid, the poster voting actually counted 33% towards the overall TCN vote and membership was not required to participate. Last year we did the best we could. Brian did his list and the rest of did our own for fun. Stl25 did a great job of organizing that. Perhaps Brian will want our votes to count toward the TCN list again. I don’t know.

I wouldn’t mind shortening the list to top 30 if the majority of our board wants to do that. Analyzing players 30-50 can certainly get into the weeds.

bccran
    Participant

gscottar –
    Stl25 did indeed do a great job last year. I just thought it might be fun to do a quick poll right as the minor league seasons end while it’s fresh in our minds from having followed them. Stateside teams only.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I would go along with bccran on the poll…. 1-30 since there is only 4 teams plus whoever qualifies on the Cardinal roster. We should agree on who is qualified beforehand.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

The forum prospect voting usually started before the end of the season so that there was enough time to get done before Brian’s rankings began. It was for anyone who wanted to participate, regardless whether or not they were members of the site.

I like it when we are voting for 1 position at a time for at least the first 10 positions. It allows for a lot of discussion on different prospects. Sometimes it brings out changes to personal rankings once a poster hears different things about a prospect that they never considered before.

If you are looking at a different kind of poll, why not just have posters list their top 30 all at once?

bccran
    Participant

I like your thoughts, Forsch.
    Maybe 25 will do it again.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve never known more about the prospects then I did the years I participated in the vote thread. But it takes a lot of work to have useful input, especially beyond the top few. Last year I had to sit out due to lack of knowledge and lack of time to acquire it.

bccran
    Participant

The back and forth is good, BB. Stimulated
    discussions of various prospects. I started the poll last year and then 25 took over early on and did a great job running it.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m looking forward to our voting. I would hope we’d do the top 50, but any format is good.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Admittedly, I have not followed much baseball this year besides checking box scores and the game updates here. I think a controlled rollout could work but my schedule won’t permit doing a tally more than about once a week. Maybe something like this?

Sat Sept 25 1-5 vote
    Sat Oct 2 6-10 vote
    Sat Oct 9 11-20 vote
    Sat Oct 16 21-30 vote
    Sat Oct 23 31-40 vote
    Sat Oct 30 41-50 vote

Voting would run for one week at a time, with these being the start times. Then if there are stragglers we can see who wants to go on or finish off with the “others receiving votes”…?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like to see this ranking extended to 40 games only to see if the voters can pull some under-the-radar guys out of their hats.

bccran
    Participant

25 – I can do 1-20 individual rounds and tabulate the votes each round on perhaps a 24 hour cycle, if you can pick up the vote counting after that – maybe in groups of 5.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have Walsh and Pacheco in my top 30: with both reaching AAA. Dionys Rodriguez and Felix Taverasw will fit in after that. Looking forward to talking prospects, but hopefully after we make a playoff run.

bccran
    Participant

Good point, 27. We can wait until after the playoffs if everyone wants to do that.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our first 5 prospects stand out to me, but after that, it is a crapshoot with differing opinions. So maybe do picks one by one for the first 5. and then in 3s? Just a suggestion.

bccran
    Participant

At the end of each minor league season I do a spread sheet of the stats of each of our players. I’m sitting here looking at the ERAs and WHIPs of the Springfield starting pitchers. Holy smokes. I’ve never seen a rotation in our system that bad.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 297 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years