2023 Payroll

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 Payroll

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have two trade proposals:

Burleson, Carlson, Pallante, and Woodford for Murphy.

DeJong, Cabrera, and Hudson for Bellinger.

Then sign two free agents:

Adam Duvall
    Jose Quintana

Non tender: Stratton and Reyes

That should keep us close to Mo’s $185M target.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I would trade Winn & Hudson for Murphy

GameCard
    Participant

Free

and then sign Michael Conforto & Quintana

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Walker & Winn would be my two untouchables (I prefer Winn over Walker for overall game, even though Walker has the better hit tool).

As Bob Reed indicated, I think a package for Murphy starts with Gorman & Liberatore.

Carlson I would want as the headliner for Bryan Reynolds.

Sign Quintana, trade Matz.

DeJong has negative trade value. You either have to release him as the Cubs did with Heyward, or keep him and hope he is serviceable.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Trade Winn for Murphy

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right now Gorman and Liberatore look like failed major leaguers who may rebound or may not to everyone else. Value is diminished.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Don’t give up on a player after their rookie year.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can see Mo saying that to whoever he is trying to work a deal with.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Why should the Cardinals trade a prospect who has a chance to become the best Cardinals SS since Ozzie for a catcher who could be had for a less costly package?

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

One problem is that the A’s are at 39 on the 40-man roster. so a larger package of lesser prospects seems unlikely unless someone else comes back with Murphy.
    I would hate losing Gorman, Winn, or Carlson.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just for some perspective, 2022 stats:

Brendan Donovan OPS+ 126, K 15.0%, PA per HR 93 (468/5)
    Lars Nootbaar OPS+ 126, K 20.5%, PA per HR 25 (347/14)
    Sean Murphy OPS+ 120, K 20.2%, PA per HR 34 (612/18)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadier Molina OPS+ 53
    Andrew Knizner OPS+ 75

Murphy would be a huge upgrade.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Right. Compare positions. In this example, who would replace Noot and Donovan if traded and what would their comparative OPS+ be?

If you can upgrade catcher without severely weakening other areas, that would be great. Trade from depth. Middle infield looks stronger than OF right now, but a catcher is just one planned move this winter.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Are we thinking that Mo is giving up on Herrera and wants to make an acquisition like Murphy? Murphy would effectively block Herrera’s path to the show. One argument I have heard is that Murphy would also provide a middle of the order capable bat to go with Goldy and NA. Really? Could we come up with a comparable bat in house? If so we could go for a less painful to obtain catcher and let Herrera ferment for another year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sure they could sign Vazquez, who is not as good as Murphy or Jansen, but is better than Knizner. Vazquez wouldn’t block Herrera for long. I guess it depends on how big of an upgrade they want to make at catcher.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No way I’d trade Winn. He will be our shortstop in 2023 or 2024.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

He shouldn’t be…Tommy Edman should. Move him to CF where he profiles best or trade him.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

How does Winn profile best in CF if he has never played there?

I haven’t seen anything that indicates he can’t stick at shortstop.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals seem determined to play Eddie at 2B, which is fine by me. He displayed that he’s perfectly capable of being an excellent choice at SS, but Marmol and his bosses obviously feel that DeJong was the better defensive option at the position as could be witnessed by moving Edman over to the right side and inserting DeJong at SS in the late innings. The main thing is to be certain they play Eddie every day. I’m not going to argue with the Cardinals decisions regarding the placement of their IF’ers. After all, these whiz kids played the IF in with the bases jammed up with 1 out and a 1 run lead in the 9th inning of game #1 of the post-season. How could I possibly argue with a collection of first rate geniuses that make that type of decision?

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1toughdominican

Marmol and his bosses obviously feel that DeJong was the better defensive option at the position as could be witnessed by moving Edman over to the right side and inserting DeJong at SS in the late innings.

Edman is excellent at SS and 2B. DeJong is excellent at SS, but hasn’t played 2B. Moving Edman over was because of Donovan or Gorman, not really due to DeJong.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

PadsFS…I’m not really certain you understand what I’m driving at. What’s wrong with Donovan manning up at 2B? I’m pretty sure his glove is considered a decent one. The Redbirds are paying DeJong a better than decent scale and aren’t willing to acknowledge that they made a foolish mistake. This spring they’ll attempt to once again gloss over their blunder by proclaiming that Holliday worked with DeJong during the winter and that he’s found his swing and they expect big things from him and this and that and the other thing…And after they perform that song and dance routine, DeJong will be starting at SS on opening day.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Winn will and should be starting at SS when he is finally called up to the majors.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

When will Masyn finally be called up to the Big Leagues? I’m guessing in 2 more years? If that’s the case, the Redbirds are all set until then with Edman at SS and Donovan at 2B. That gives the Cardinals hands down the best IF in the NL.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not two more years for Winn. One year in Triple-A is enough for most top prospects, but injuries to others can accelerate time schedules, as can really good (or bad) results.

P.S. We seem to have lost the focus of this thread, which is on the payroll. Feels like we have about three general off-season discussions going on right now…

The “Ideas/Rumors” thread pinned to the top of the board is for your trade ideas to be shared. There is also the “Questions for 2023” thread which is serving as a general off-season discussion thread. So we don’t need another here.

Let’s try to keep the talk here on money matters. Thanks.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

He’ll probably need two years before he gets the chance at the big money.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years