2021 Wild Card Game – Wed 10/6 – at LAD

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Wild Card Game – Wed 10/6 – at LAD

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The pressure is on the Dodgers to win this game. We are playing with house money.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The pressure is on the Dodgers to win this game. We are playing with house money.

This is the correct take. The Cards built up a huge amount of good will with their September run, so the fans will be fine if they drop a one game crapshoot. If the Dodgers lose, fans will be edgy. The Cards are playing better than a 90 win team right now so it’s a more even matchup than people probably think on paper.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I, for one, will certainly not be fine if we “drop a one-game crapshoot.”

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The way the playoffs are built, 90 = 106 other than home field advantage. Now is the time to get greedy and a bad time to feel okay about losing. Of course I doubt any of “our” feelings will impact the outcome, but for the team, no doubt attitude matters. Maybe what gscott said is right in that the Dodgers could get tight if Wainwright keeps the Cards close into the late innings.

What baseball fan doesn’t love the intensity of good postseason games? And it’s much better when your team is in it and when your team succeeds. I’d love to hear Dodger fans gripe about elimination after one game. Plus, that happening to that franchise might be the clout needed to get rid of the wacky format that allows a 106-win team to be eliminated in one game.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

the fans will be fine if they drop a one game crapshoot.

I’m with CiF, not fine with it. Losing would be unacceptable.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps I should have rephrased that…the average fans will be happy enough with the appearance, given the nice run in September. We all know that we are not average fans, when we talk Cards baseball pretty much 365 days a year. Of course I (and basically every poster on here) will not be thrilled with one playoff game and hope we pummel the snot out of the hometown hero and send LA fans home crying to their money.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Naturally we Cardinal fans want our club to win, but it is a bit easier to take losing knowing that the other club was the better team during the regular season.

And yes, hopefully the post season format is changed next year. Add a sixth team, give the teams with the two best records, regardless of division, a first our division bye, have the other four seeded by winning percentage and play best two fo three. Winners are then reseeded against the top two in best of five LDS.

Winners there play a best of seven LCS. Should not be hard to put that together.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Losing is not unacceptable…it is a reality for one of the teams.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

< Scherzer has given up 10 earned in his last two outings.>

And in those in last two games he also gave up 17 hits and only struck out 10 in 10.1 innings total. Those games were against SD and COL. Scherzer is definitely beatable, but got to get to him early.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not a fan of a one game playoff, but in this case I don’t think there would be much chance to win a series against the Dodgers. If Flaherty and Hudson were healthy it would even the odds some. Also, I look at it is as an opportunity to knock out Scherzer, diminish his free agent value, and then sign him next year.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

After the last few weeks I say this team has every bit as much a chance as any. Starts with just this one. Win it and go for it all. That is why they play.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t want to see the post season change far as taking the wins and losses not the division winners. What are chasing the miserable nba basketball stuff now. Get out of here with that. The way it is there are perks to winning your division and there are negatives for not no matter how many games you won. Love it. Next we will be moving the orioles out of the American league east cause it’s too hard.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One really great thing I read was in the st Louis tribune I think though not sure. It was penned by Harrison bader. Loved it. Everything about it tells you why he’s my favorite player. Stands up for his teammates and the fans though some don’t deserve that. Speaks highly of a the long time Cardinals and speaks highly of the cardinal organization. Very awesome job Harrison.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh how I wish our boys were playing these guys tonight. They’ve got to be absolutely chomping at the bit to majorly kick some Dodger keester. I truly wish this were a 7 game series so we could kick their arse four times instead of just once. Look up and down their entire roster closely….. they’re good, but far from great. These guys can and will be thumped by the powerful and mighty St. Louis Cardinals. I envision fans leaving the park early come Wednesday……and with their heads down and no spring to their steps whatsoever. This is a new era of Cardinal baseball being ushered in here…..not one where it’s acceptable to just be a playoff participant, but one where it will be the norm….an expected norm to go the distance and win it all. It’s all coming together at the perfect time for the Cards….perfect…and the Dodgers are not going to get in their way .

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Pretty good analysis of why the Cards are serious contenders this year.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ztr I’d feel fine. Cardinals had chance to win the division. They floundered a good part of the year so it didn’t happen. You make your bed and lie in it. The dodgers had their shot. They didn’t get it done. I’d be fine going back to old days when there was no wild card. I don’t like teams that didn’t win anything of note during the year but go on and play in the world series and win it. That’s why I’m not a big fan of the 2011 team. They will always be behind those other teams far as status in my mind. Baseball and any sport in my opinion is better when they are actually playing for something more than a spot in the playoffs. The only reason I’m at all happy as a wild card team this year is because in lots of ways we were just horrible for long periods of time. Overcoming that was a great thing. One thing I disagree with is the notion that this season will be a disappointment if we lose the wild card game. I just don’t agree. The game itself could be disappointing and definitely the result but too much good has happened during this second half run for the season to be disappointing.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Joe West is retiring. Nice article. But the last statement in the article sort of worries me. It says Joe West is umpiring the NL Wild Card game on Wednesday night between the Cardinals and the Dodgers.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/controversial-mlb-umpire-joe-west-to-retire-after-breaking-record-for-most-games-193844024.html

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We need a first inning like this to happen on Wednesday night.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We’re facing Scherzer, Rat!…..Maxwell Millhouse Scherzer. God himself couldn’t put up a 10 spot in one inning off Max. But…..Max is going down to defeat come Wednesday evening.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Think Howie Kendrick. Who is going to be our Howie Kendrick come Wednesday night?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For the last month we have been as good as anybody, including the Dodgers. The difference is we have to be hot to be good and they are just good anyway. But we have been hot and might continue to be. If not it will be ugly.

I think the biggest fear has to be our pen blowing it, like they have so many times. Next would be our offence going to sleep like it did quite often prior to September. We made some bad pitchers look unhittable.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Think Howie Kendrick. Who is going to be our Howie Kendrick come Wednesday night?

He won’t get the playing time Kendrick got, but I feel good about Rondon doing something if called upon.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

I won’t be happy if they lose the one game crapshoot as it is being called. The team has come a long ways this year and turned into a competitive team that could go all the way, though it will be a rough trail. The problem is there is one person who will not mind if they lose the play in game. Junior DeWitt. If they lose to the Dodgers, at the end of the year press conference he will say, hey we made the playoffs so you fans stop griping and as for any big moves this off season…forget it. It’s obvious by our end of the season push that we have all the talent we need already. No additions, no big moves, no big contracts. We are standing pat and we’ll make the playoffs next year as well. That is our business model and we are not changing.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t wait until Wednesday. I would say To go all out, and if 9 pitchers are needed, then use all 9. There is no time for sentiment to let a pitcher stay in too long. I hope Schildt manages this way. Are all of the stupid rules including having a pitcher having to pitch to 3 batter at a minimum? I read that the extra inning rule of starting a runner at second, so hopefully all of the idiotic rules are out.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I think we need to start well and put some pressure on.

I don’t think Waino will be great but good enough. Have to get him out of trouble at any point before the 6th Dodgers losing Muncy hurts.

Bellinger has done nothing this season but id be worried a bit if he’s in the lineup. Some containment of the left handed hitters and keeping the ball in the park is critical. Muncy again here hurts them.

Idk I like us a little better if it wasn’t max on the mound. Either way they need to figure it out or were toast. Those who are down on a WC loss after the way we finished might want to consider that we might not be here or if we were and limped in would be a lot worse.

I think if we can put runs on the board we’ll have a better shot of winning. Don’t know if that will happen but that’s why they play the game gents.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years