2021 Wild Card Game – Wed 10/6 – at LAD

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Wild Card Game – Wed 10/6 – at LAD

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

If you told me before game Scherzer wouldn’t make it to the 6th and Arenado would have 3 at bats with a man on 2nd I would of told you Cardinals win. Cardinals couldn’t get anything going on offense. Really big offseason cause there are many directions they can go.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gamecard, I’ll criticize shildt if I want to. He brought it on himself. True we had our chances to hit with guys on especially the middle part of the lineup but they didn’t get it done. But that’s been true a lot of times, no matter we were still tied trying to get into extras. Towards the end of the game is generally where managers matter. Reyes has struggled many times in that situation. I feel bad for him but it’s a known fact. Unless he’s the final pitcher left, he should not be in there at that time. Shildt would just be stupid if he doesn’t realize that by now. We had Whitley who has pitched great and we also had Hudson and flaherty. You put them on the roster use them. Hudson especially has been great since coming back. Schildt chose to go with a pitcher with known late inning issues while having other options available. Schildt own the mistake. I’m not going to blame Reyes, cause that’s what he has done this second half. It’s up to the coach maybe to realize it’s the playoffs and best to avoid that if possible. I give shildt credit for some good moves he did this year like moving oneil to third, really jump started him. But I’m also going to give him blame when he does wrong things. Most times I don’t blame shildt for what the pitcher does it doesn’t do but certain pitchers on the team like Reyes and miller for that matter have struggled hard especially in crunch time so putting them in a crunch situation when you have other options is just wrong at playoff time.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Proud of the season and what they got out of this roster that has holes in it. Played the hell out of the Dodgers last night but the old main problem that showed up so much all year killed us again. Need bats. Loved the years of O’Neil and Carlson (my breakout guy in 22} and have money to spend in the offseason. Mo badly needs to hit some home runs to have this club contend and advance in the playoffs.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To be honest, arenado had hit like crap especially in September so it didn’t surprise me. Oneil and Carlson on the other hand had been hitting well. Even though they are young, you would have thought they might come through one time apiece with runners on.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

If that happens there is no helping the Cardinals.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Some good comments. The Reyes move is certainly ripe for criticism. With his second half woes I would have favored Hudson there – use more of a sinker ball type pitcher.

Also I cannot agree that Arenado was a disappointment. Sure last night he did not deliver, nor did anyone else not named Edman. But 34 ding-dongs and 100+ RBI with gold glove defense – well, we would not even have played that game without him this year.

Should be fun next year, but we have the post season then the CBA to get through first.

Rats – Action PC always makes a post season file available. I might grab that this year and play a tournament involving this year’s Dodger and Giant teams, and the 1962 versions, both of which won over 100 as well. Could be a fun little project. 62 Giants vs 2021 Dodgers and 62 Dodgers vs 2021 Giants in best of fives. Winners in a best of seven.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I find it interesting how people talk about the guys that hit well this season like oneil,Carlson, and Arenado and then say we need to get players to hit, I’m assuming not to replace those guys but it was those very guys that had almost all the opportunities to get a hit with a runner in scoring position. Just odd.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

BikeMike,
    The weather is just days away from turning cool here in SW Indiana. That gets me in the urge to play some Strat-O-Matic. I’ve been contemplating a 2019 St. Louis replay, perhaps even another 1998 replay. Right now it looks like 2019 will win out. Who knows, I might even let Wong walk and play Edman at 2ndbase everyday. And add Arenado at 3rdbase. Just to see how much of a difference he would make.

Of course I would still have to contend with Jordan Hicks and all of his walks. That is until he goes on the IL for the rest of the 2019 season in June.

r/Esteemed Rat

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I sure would have liked for the postseason for the Cardinals to go at least one more week. When Reyes was announced for 9th inning relief, I knew right then that the game would be over. Poor Alex Reyes just can’t pitch in high pressure situations. It’s so obvious that it’s really hard to come up with a reasonable explanation. Was Shildt trying to give Reyes a jolt of confidence? Who knows what might have happened if Shildt had brought Hudson, or Flaherty, or Kim, or Mikolas. He had so many better options. I chalk this one up partially to the human elem3nt. It was up to Shildt to decide on a 9th inning reliever and for some totally perplexing reason, he brought in the one pitcher who was almost sure to fail.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arenado’s batting line for the season is close to right in line with what he has done in his career when not hitting in Denver.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s been noted in the new Busch stadium that it’s particularly tough on right handed hitters and we’ve seen several of our sluggers come in and struggle their first year. Ozuna went from .758 to .800 OPS his second year with St Louis. Goldy went from .821 to .883. I would expect to see Arenado bump up 30 to 50 points of OPS and be in the .850 to .870 range as well for 2022.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Bringing Reyes in last night was similar to when Matheny bone-headed the late game decisions against the Giants that year – 2014 maybe? As I recall, tie game late, and the Giants had a hot reliever in Jermey Affeldt who was not in the game. Peter Bourjos comes up and I am saying “Stay with Bourjos here as you do not want any reason for Affeldt to come in, plus Bourjos gives you the plus defense in center in a game that looks to go into extras.”

So what does Matheny do? Bring in lefty hitting Oscar Taveras, which plays right into the hand of Bruce Bochy who goes to Affeldt. I think Affeldt got Taveras to hit a come-backer and that was that.

Then the move that was similar to the Reyes one, but even more odd, was Matheny went to Michael Wacha who had not pitched in a couple of months. And sure enough, Wacha served up the walk-off homer. Sometimes you wonder if managers are watching the same games as we are.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sounds good, Rats. I also have some other possible projects. Thinking of doing a tournament with the franchise all-stars in some manner. Or maybe I will play this 2021 Cardinal team against some other teams in history, or set up a tournament featuring them.

Maybe something like a tourney that features Cardinal teams that lost a post season series. Lots of choices there, and some good teams. In addition to this 2021 squad we have what, 2015, 2004, 1996, 1985, 1968, 1943 to rattle off a few real quick. Maybe take one per decade – add in 1930 and you have eight clubs covering 90 years of Cardinal baseball. Sounds like grounds for a tournament!

oldcardsfan
    Participant

Free

I don’t think the Cardinals win streak was a fluke, or lucky. Their pitching staff got healthy and they tuned it on when they had to, in September, when they basically had to win every game to get back into the playoff picture. The streak would not have meant as much in April.

1985 was a devastating WS for the Cardinals to lose but nothing was as bad as 1968 for me. Gibson 1.12 ERA season then losing game 7 due to a misjudged fly ball. McCarver said it still bothers him and in a way it still bothers me too. You guys are lucky most of you were not around to see that.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I couldn’t imagine enduring the heartache from the ’68 series. ’85 was bad enough. But it sure is fun being on the other side of things. I would love experiencing the thrill of our Cards being down 3-0 in the WS and then coming back to take the series. I almost got there this last NBA finals when my Bucks quickly went down 2-0 and then came roaring back to win 4 straight.

And who are all of these new posters and where have they all been hiding? An amusing and interesting lot and not a slouch amongst them…..OldCardsFan, MrFreese, OrtaWasOut, 1946WSChamps, JBro7, LouBrock…..hang around….there is no off season in these waters.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I remember the outrage over the use of Wacha who like Hudson and Flaherty had minimal recent action. If Flaherty had came in and gave up the dinger Shildt would have still been just as stupid in the minds of those who were steamed because we didn’t hire someone like Terry Francona (who by the way has won fewer games than Shildt since the day Mike was hired).

I think the Cardinals came together because 1) The additions of the vet pitchers filled the gap probably beyond what most expected and 2) The young outfielders and Edman matured and suddenly the Cardinals had a lineup that could hurt you at any time or any place in the lineup. Probably that also relieved some of the pressure from Arenado and Goldschmidt so they didn’t have to carry the whole offense.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

1968 was a turning point in my young life. Going in to game 7 of the World Series, despite Detroit having the momentum I thought Gibson was a lock to win that game, and all the Cards would need is one run to win it.

When we lost, it really impacted me. I learned to take nothing for granted. Like McCarver said, that one still burns a little.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The 1985 world series was a crushing loss, especially the way it happened. If replay had been around then we would have obviously won it but it was not to be. Fortunately, 26 years later we won a world series we probably had no business winning so karma was restored.

bccran
    Participant

If you’re worried about Flaherty, Hudson, Mikolas, and Kim coming in during the middle of an inning, why have them on the roster? Can anyone come up with a reasonable explanation why Reyes was brought into that pressure cooker situation?? Plus Helsley and Cabrera were also available. I’m stumped.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well bccran, me and you haven’t always agreed on things but we are in agreement on this. But shildt made the move and it is what it is. Got lots of good things to look forward to with this team. Maybe the pain of losing this game will motivate the guys next season.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Well bccran and Willie got to say putting in Reyes was a big “I’m the boss and I’ll do it my way moment.” Everybody knew his performance in the 9th inning this year. But being in charge and the expert he had to do it My Way! I have learned the hard way that if you ignore others who you see as lesser or subordinate to you you will pay a heavy price when you are Wrong. Many times those around you see things you are blind to. This happens when you don’t listen to those around you. In this case everybody. The team and the fans paid the price for this stubborness and stupidity. A bonehead move is calling it “nicely”

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bernie miklasz has a great article on this. Hes pretty much Dead on though while he’s hard on shildt for bringing in Reyes, I don’t feel he’s hard enough on him for it. But it is what it is. I read where the players are sticking up for the coaching staff. I get it, they like shildt. But lots of teams have coaches the players like but never win the final game of the season. The players might have to ask which one they prefer to have on St. Louis. Have a coach they like but never win it all or would they rather win it all and have a coach they tolerate or maybe even grow to like. Shildt will get another year but I think there will be more expected next year.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Yes Willie as far as leadership goes being liked vy everybody doesn’t really say much. When you actually manage people to their full potential its impossible to be “liked” by everybody. Far as the team goes theres a couple guys under contract that should be immediately replaced by other complete players that produce both on offense and defense. We all know who they are. For this team to improve next year a couple of dead woods are taking up roster space. If Manager wants to manage at a “likeable” minor league level then thats where he should be. Team needs a smart manager thats going to push to excell. The foundation is there and some smart acquistions should make us better. Time to leave the problem (one dimensional) players behind.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

bccran:

I understand what you are saying. I can’t find any reason why he would use Reyes. It is perplexing to me. But the Cardinals were the 10th most likely team to win the WS for a reason.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well an article I read today said it was because of gallegos nail. Which is true but glosses over the fact there were other pitchers that had had more success lately shildt could have used. It also said gallegos was being used as decoy which I don’t understand. Use best option available to get to extras is my opinion. After that it could go either way but I say bring in one of your normal starters, treat it as a new game.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years