2021 Arizona Fall League

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Arizona Fall League

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

What do we think the Cards could get back for DeJong?

After his 2020 and 2021 seasons it seems his value is at the floor.

bccran
    Participant

A high level prospect and a mid level prospect.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Cheering hard for an excellent AFL for Thompson. It would really be something if he gets back on track.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thompson clearly has the stuff to get outs at any level. His issue so far has been with endurance, as he’s generally had at least one blowup inning in most of his starts. Perhaps he’s an impact reliever long term, or maybe he gets back on track to start next year.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nootbaar is leading the AFL in homers with 3.

bccran
    Participant

In 2019, Zack Thompson had a total of 2 starts. 2 starts in the GCL and 11 relief appearances at Palm Beach. In 2021 he was promoted all the way to Memphis to start the season. Has any Cardinal pitcher you know of been promoted to AAA after only 15.1 innings of professional baseball? It’s unfair to judge him based upon his performance in 2021. He could be excellent, and very soon.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Not suprising with Noot based on his time seeing ML pitching. I think it’s a real possibility we see a contender for the DH spot come out of this.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t be surprised, 858booyah. It would be cheaper to go with Yepez and Gorman than pay for an outside guy. By the end of the season it may be more effective, too. Still, I’d expect them to sign a Brad Miller type for insurance.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The young Cards were at it again today…Nootbar went 2-4 with a double and a HR and 3 RBIs, while Yepez went 2-5 with a double, a HR and 4 RBIs. Let’s hope this confidence leads to a much improved bench or Memphis shuttle in 2022. That would really help the team out a lot.

OPS by Cards’ players so far:

Nootbar 1.292
    Gorman 1.190
    Yepez 1.168
    Donovan 1.061

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Those numbers seem great but I wonder.about the pitching they are facing.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Those numbers seem great but I wonder about the pitching they are facing.

It’s a hitter’s environment for sure, but they are 7th, 9th, 11th and 18th of the 100 position players in the AFL in OPS so far.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So there are 6 players with even better numbers, I don’t know, I just don’t trust that. These guys will be in spring training so I’ll wait til I see them there. Gorman didn’t impress me much in what games I saw last spring. But a year can make a big difference.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hard to be skeptical about these results…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nootbaar leads the AFL with 4 homers. Yepez leads with 11 rbis. Between Gorman, Nootbaar, and Yepez I think a universal DH really might move our our offensive numbers near the top of the NL.

How about this POTENTIAL lineup:

Edman/Sosa SS
    Carlson RF
    Golschmidt 1B
    ARENADO 3B
    O Neil LF
    GORMAN 2b
    Yepez/Nootbaar DH
    Molina C
    Bader CF

And just imagine if Dejong returns to his pre 2021 form. There would certainly be no shortage of power.

bccran
    Participant

Gorman, Yepez, Donovan, and Nootbaar are fun to follow. And don’t forget Burleson, who hit at a surprising 30 home run pace this season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well Brian I’m always skeptical of high offensive numbers far as these type of leagues go. Nootbar while fast and exciting, didn’t hit that well at times while he was with the big club. It all looks good now. At the least if the cardinals decide to go another route on some of these guys, some scouts from other teams may be impressed enough that we can get some great players in trades.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trading our prospects has worked out great so far…for other teams. We’ve populated some other teams with some Rookie of the Year candidates (Voit, Arozarena, Garcia), a Cy Young contender (Alcantara) and a nice mid rotation piece (Gallen), not to mention Carson Kelly, who is a very solid catcher. Even Elehuris Montero is getting top 100 prospect love right now. I’d rather keep guys who look like they can hit and see what they can do for us, unless we can get a real upgrade (like a Jose Ramirez or controllable young starter).

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trades should always help both clubs out. Those guys you mentioned may never have become what they are with us. Sometimes situation dictates how a player progresses not just talent. Not saying we should trade them but if our front office doesn’t have a long term plan for a particular player then best to trade if we can get a big piece of something we are missing.

bccran
    Participant

Voit had no position to play with the Cardinals. Plus they got Gallegos in the trade. The Cards probably don’t make the playoffs without him in multiple seasons.
    Garcia was a 26 year old strike out machine at Memphis. Struck out 159 times in 5 months. The Cards felt they were stacked in the OF with Carlson, O’Neill, Bader, Thomas, and Williams.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hicks has left the AFL and returned home for the winter. He isn’t hurt, but he didn’t pitch well in his two starts, with a 9.64 ERA. If he wants to start in the spring, this wasn’t much of a tuneup.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years