2021 Arizona Fall League

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Arizona Fall League

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant

The best pure hitter in the upper levels of our minors isn’t on the list. That’s shocking.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Yepez will turn out to be quite a player. When that deal went down for Adams it seemed as if we gave him (Adams) away. But Yepez had developed into a great minor league hitter. If he can do it in the bigs, the Braves may never deal with us again (re: Wainwright).

bccran
    Participant

Can anyone explain why Burleson wasn’t on the list?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Why is Burleson the Cardinals best pure hitter in the upper minors?

1982 willie
    Participant

I’m very interested in seeing how Donovan does. I know yepez has the pop so everyone really likes him but Donovan seems to be my kind of player. Hopefully hicks doesn’t have any setbacks. I’m wondering about nootbar. Does this mean he can’t be on the post season roster if we are still playing then.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

The interesting thing besides Hicks is Nootbar likely getting an extended look. I think he and Gorman are going to be real possibilities for our DH role next season from the left side of the plate.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll obviously be rooting on “Pez” & Co., but I’ve been a huge Salt River Rafter rooter for many years now. Our Rafters roster looks loaded to the gills this year. Should be a fun fall in Phoenix.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran asked:

Can anyone explain why Burleson wasn’t on the list?

Understand that each of six organizations has to provide a viable mix of positions for one AFL team. Nootbaar is apparently a higher priority outfielder right now. Yepez is an IF/OF. That is likely all the Cardinals got.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 asked:

Does this mean he (Nootbaar) can’t be on the post season roster if we are still playing then.

No. My guess is that if necessary, they would replace Nootbaar with another outfielder for the AFL (like Burleson).

bccran
    Participant

Scouts have raved about Burleson, and said he is as sure a thing as there is in our system to gain a starting job in St.
    Louis. How many Cardinal position
    draftees can you name that made it to the AAA in their 1st season of pro ball? And in their first full season of pro ball hit 22 home runs and drove in 74 in only 117 games?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No one said Burleson isn’t very good, though I did not see the quotes about him being a sure thing and the organization’s best pure hitter in the upper minors. Please share the links as I’d like to read about it.

Since when did AFL become a critical path to reach the majors? Did Carlson play there? What about Liberatore, etc? Why fixate on Burleson? They invited six top 20 prospects plus Hicks so it isn’t like they made a bunch of bad choices.

Maybe the Cardinals felt Burleson already did enough this year and needs a rest. Maybe he has a nagging injury that requires downtime. Maybe he is getting married next month, etc, etc, etc…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with you, BW. I think the most likely scenario is that he played 117 games at three levels one year out of college. They probably want to give him a break.

bccran
    Participant

Maybe the others have been in the system longer, and they wanted to honor tenure along with skill. I’m just surprised he wasn’t included. And my question stands, Brian – outside of Albert Pujols (who had 3 games at AAA his first season), what Cardinal draftee can you name that played at Memphis in first season? Burleson played 43 games there.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My questions stand, too. I don’t see why you think it is ok to dodge ones being asked of you while expecting others to answer yours.

bccran
    Participant

Sorry, Brian. Mine are word of mouth from scouts and guys I know who have talked to scouts. There’s nothing in writing I can refer you to. If that’s not good enough for you, I’m happy to strike my original statements. My question to you was a question of fact, not opinion.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i was a little surprised not to see Burleson and even Luken Baker

I figured it was injury or rest or something…still these are just the initial lists things can change because of playoffs etc.

Also…I do think DeJong’s AFL was pretty much his springboard to the majors, and to a handed over role at SS…I do think the FO uses AFL as a test for some guys to see if they are truly ready for a big leap to an important role the following year…not all of them, but it can be a tool they use

Not picking Burleson and Baker to me indicates that Yepez and Nootbaar are ahead of them respectively on the potential impact next year

maybe i am wrong…but that is what it looks like

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I can name JD Drew off the top of my head. Beyond that, I would have to look it up.

I am sure Burleson is a polished hitter if he made it to AAA in his first full season. I am not sure I would call him the best pure hitter we have. Nolan Gorman seems pretty good, too.

Just a thought, if you would have stated that the scouts you spoke with, personally, thought he was the surest thing, you probably wouldn’t have been questioned. I do appreciate the insight, though.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

DeJong might have been another one if Wisdom wasn’t already in Memphis. That is also the year that the Cardinals started converting him to SS. He was considered a third baseman for almost the whole year.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Burleson is 22 and likely will get a shot at AFL next year…. if he isn’t already with the big team. He forced his way up to AAA. No prospect is a sure thing…. we have had some very good prospects not have much luck when they needed to. I gotta say that Burleson looks like the real thing.

bcc, don’t let others dampen your enthusiasm.

bccran
    Participant

Thanks for your advice, Forsch.
    Always appreciated.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Three others in recent years besides Pujols and Drew:

James Ramsey, drafted 2012, reached Memphis 2013
    Brett Wallace, drafted 2008, reached Memphis 2009
    Adam Kennedy, drafted 1997, reached Memphis 1998

In other words, moving fast does not necessarily correlate to being a sure thing. We remember the successes more than the failures.

(P.S. I only did a quick look at first-rounders. There are likely other later picks, too, as were Pujols and Burleson.)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

forsch said:

I am not sure I would call him the best pure hitter we have. Nolan Gorman seems pretty good, too.

Hard to overlook the kind of numbers that Jordan Walker put up in his age 18-19 season… He’d get my vote.

P.S. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Walker arrive in Memphis in late 2022. But because he did not have a first partial season, he would not fit the fast moving criteria offered up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jager said:

Not picking Burleson and Baker to me indicates that Yepez and Nootbaar are ahead of them respectively on the potential impact next year

It is likely no more complicated than that.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Michael Wacha moved through the ranks pretty fast didn’t he?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.