2020 World Series

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 World Series

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Rays were ranked 28th in payroll this year. I wonder if any team ranked that low has won the World Series? I think the Marlins were around 25th in 2003 but I haven’t researched it much further than that.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Weren’t the Royals low when they won in 2015, too? Then the players got expensive and they had to break up the team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

No they beefed up that year to 16th highest.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

OK, thanks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I found this site that tracks payroll each year back to 1984 with the World Series winner in bold. I would have never guessed the top payroll in 1991 was the Oakland A’s. Back in the McGwire and Canseco days I guess.

The Rays would be the lowest to win it if they indeed do.

https://www.fueledbysports.com/mlb-payrolls/

Participant

Free

This is my last post because Bryan Walton is such a censoring xxxxx

The cardinals can not evaluate offensive talent and the only thing worse is how condescending Walton is. Goodbye board for good

Congrats on being a xxxxxx who acts like he knows something and has probably never even played a sport Walton. You’re a true champ

(Offensive terms removed by moderator)

Participant

Free

Somebody please refresh my memory but was it not Arozarena who fell between 3B and HP in a big Cardinal game and did NOT score? My stamina and memory levels have been a zero since that week in the hospital. Only now barely starting to return.

My one thought on the playoffs. MLB must have put in an order to the baseball plant for a quantity of extra hard balls. Gotta have a lot dingers in the playoffs. Please don’t recite counts fellers – I am not a stats man until I need one……lol

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Somebody please refresh my memory but was it not Arozarena who fell between 3B and HP in a big game and did NOT score? My stamina and memory levels have been a zero since that week in the hospital. Only now barely starting to return.

That was Adolis Garcia, MM3. On another note, I’m glad to see you’re alive and kicking and joining us again.

Participant

I guess more importantly, RA was on base 4 out of 5 times last night and scored the winning run. And has set several historical playoff records. Far more important than being waved home and tripping as he kicked it into high gear. Actually that tuck and roll was impressive. Prevented injury.

Participant

Free

Thanks stlcard25. That is the name my lame brain was pursuing. I don’t recall seeing too much of Aroz during his major league time except as pinch hitter or pinch runner and sometimes centerfielder. But I am sure Libertore makes up for the miss on Randy even if he does only work once every 5 days. What a series when the big dogs in the National can’t quite scrunch the squeakers from the American who have the worst facilty and completely lack a fan base. Should the Rays win they will probably have to hire fans to line the streets for the parade.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sunday night’s action is again at 7:08 p.m. on FOX. Clayton Kershaw vs. Tyler Glasnow in Game 5. Who do you like?

Participant

Paid - Annual

While Kershaw will probably be in the HOF he has become known as a playoff choker so it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Rays win tonight.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Will the Dodgers be the bridesmaid yet again? In their history they have now won 21 NL pennants, more than anyone else, yet have only 6 world series titles.

The Giants have 20 NL pennants with 8 world series titles.
    The Cardinals have 19 NL pennants with 11 world series titles.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, Arozarena has become a feared hitter in the class of Trout, Bonds, and McGwire almost over night. In that 9th inning, Jansen really wanted to stay away from him which changed that entire inning. The walked moved the possible tying run to second base, and we all saw what happened when you can put the ball in play.

As I mentioned before, these teams are very entertaining and a lot more fun than watch Cardinal baseball last year. You can never count these teams out, as they battle you all the way.

I think LA will settle in and still win it, possibly even taking the next two. But again, if Randy keeps going and the Rays get something from Lowe, Meadows and an occasional surprise hit from a guy like Phillips, who knows?

And if the Rays get a ring, that really ups the bar on the trade. Arozarena will have been the biggest difference in them getting the prize, which makes it so it almost does not matter how good Liberatore ends up being, the deal would be worth it.

It’s great to see the kid having so much fun though, especially after his faux pas last year with the ill-advised posting of Shildt’s equally ill-advised rant.

Participant

Free

The worst part of the last play, in my opinion, was Muncy as the cutoff man. He is only 70 feet away from home plate, can see the whole play in front of himself, with Aroz still 20 feet away. Take a step toward the runner.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the TBR lineup better with Meadows and Choi vs RHP’s, so I’ll go with the LAD winning tonight behind Kershaw.

Participant

Free

It’s great to see the kid having so much fun though, especially after his faux pas last year with the ill-advised posting of Shildt’s equally ill-advised rant.

After hearing his interviews in Spanish after game 4, I’m wondering if his command of English is/was sufficiently nuanced to even know there had been some bombs lobbed.

Participant

Free

I can’t help but wonder if Shildt insisted that the kid be traded after Arozarena embarrassed him so.

Participant

It’s said he was traded because the Rays wouldn’t do the deal without him included.
    So the main question is whether the Cards, when they saw how badly the Rays wanted him, should have held on to him when their offense was so anemic and they were letting Ozuna go. No doubt, Liberatore is a talent. But is that what we needed at that particular time?

Participant

Free

Without knowing how the negotiations went down, we can’t say that the Rays tipped their hand about how much they wanted Arozarena. I would imagine that trade negotiations are a little like playing poker, you don’t want to reveal too much emotion so that you maximize your gain.

Participant

As I understand it, the Rays demanded RA.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LAD hitting behind the runners well, 2-0

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seager ran the bases so well that inning that he basically scored the second run all by himself.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You have to admire the Dodgers coming right back at the Rays after their terrible ending in Game 4. Should be another good one tonight.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh no, Arozarena’s hat fell off on that run down the first base line. That’s a big no no. What next? He starts shimmying all over the batter’s box and doing long routines between pitches?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years