2020 World Series

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 World Series

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The two times are pre-game and first pitch.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Both number 1 seeds advanced to the finals, though it was not easy.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, who would have thought that the cream would rise in the end? I’m rooting for the Rays to win the title, but hopefully it’s a good series.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

2020 was a highly abnormal season, but this is still interesting…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The World Series is Andrew Friedman’s former team vs. Andrew Friedman’s current team. This will be the third Dodger appearance in the WS in the last four years.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

VEB takes a look at how the Dodgers roster was built and how it compares to the construction of the Cardinal roster.

His conclusion: There are a lot of similarities in roster construction with the focus on being built internally. The biggest difference being the Dodgers ability to paper over some mistakes.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2020/10/19/21522747/construction-of-a-pennant-winner-dodgers

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is an earlier graphic to reference that includes both TB and LAD.

My count of the Cards is:

6 FA
    7 Trade/waiver
    15 Homegrown

As noted, the raw numbers indicate StL and LAD are very similar at a numeric level, but of course, the individuals and salaries can be very different.

My analysis of StL only was here:

Cardinals Homegrown Focus in the Minority Among MLB’s Best

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers are a 2/1 favorite, per betonline.ag.

World Series Line
    Tampa Bay Rays vs Los Angeles Dodgers
    Tampa Bay Rays +175 (7/4)
    Los Angeles Dodgers -200 (1/2)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Former Cardinals lefty Ryan Sherriff may get his shot on the big stage…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can see it now… Arozarena with the game winning homer and Sherriff with the save to win the Series. Mo cries in his Wheaties the next morning.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Sherriff or Joe Kelly have a great WS will the fan base melt down like it has over Arozarena?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They will certainly add the two to the dubious list of the ones that got away as if they are far more impactful than they really are.

For me, Sherriff earns admiration for his persistence. Kelly earned a big contract coming off a great World Series for the Red Sox, but has been a disappointment with the Dodgers. He is not in their rotation of trusted relievers, for good reason.

Personally, I hope all the ex-Cardinals do well.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Same here. I would love to see Randy keep it going on the biggest stage, and maybe Sherriff can get an opportunity to put some of those Dodgers behind bars.

The Kelly trade, which I was not a fan of, was far enough removed now I don’t have any real thoughts of regret about him. Lackey helped us for a year and a half, and Craig, who I thought we bailed on too early, never did get his career back on track.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The first mistake occurred in the home fourth – a two-run homer by Cody Bellinger following a walk.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Half of Kershaw’s bad postseason reputation is on the Dodgers, who consistently leave him in too long. I’d consider pulling him after his 5 good innings as he did give up the HR to Kiermaier in the 5th.

Tinky
    Participant

Free

Glasnow at 109 pitches in the 5th, still throwing in the high 90’s. Never would’ve thought he could last this long throwing that hard. Rays youth and first time on the big stage starting to show. 4-1 Dodgers; Rays skipper might’ve stayed with Glasnow a little too long. But I am sure there are some analytics to back him up. 😉

Hard to argue with analytics when they get you to the World Series I guess. But I heard the announcers say that the Rays have gotten here with walks, home runs, and strikeouts (they led the AL in strikeouts). And they are poor at hitting with runners in scoring position.

So I take back my previous post about firing Mo and hiring the Rays GM. I love walks and home runs, but if that’s all you’ve got, and you strikeout a lot, and can’t hit with runners in scoring position, that is boring baseball to me. Of course I’m old school and these young geniuses don’t care what I think.

Arozarena is having a Mr. October type post-season no doubt. But despite his 7 HR’s, he has yet to get a postseason hit with RISP. I wish him well. But his swing is long and loopy. He’s got power, but I’m not sure that swing is going to hold up consistently over the long haul.

The Cardinal Way has always been good pitching, good defense, moving runners along, and clutch hitting with RISP. Can’t we get some analytics geniuses to figure out how to build a team of those type players? I see no reason that analytics should only favor walks and home runs. And I see no reason that analytics shouldn’t punish strikeouts more than it does. 6-1 Dodgers now. Guess I’ll find some Mannix re-runs or something. Rant over.

Go Cards.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

With LA up 1-0, tonight’s Game 2 matchup is Tony Gonsolin vs. Blake Snell.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Turners plus D at 3B has surprised me this postseason.

Lowe has got to show up soon.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dinger by Lowe, 1-0 TBR

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

now a 2 run HR by Lowe, 5-0 Rays

Tinky
    Participant

Free

I wonder if Roberts will send carrot top back out there in the 6th.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, Lowe did show up. After Chris Taylor’s 2-run HR, the Dodgers lead is cut to 5-2 through five innings.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I have to admit folks, these two teams are a lot more fun to watch than the Cardinals. While I do see some of the nonsense that goes on in many Cardinal games, where guys are swinging at pitches way off the zone, for the most part these teams look more athletic, hit better pitches and can score runs.

Course we have the two best teams in MLB this year duking it out, so that makes sense. But it is nice to just kick back and watch teams where you sense they can climb back regardless of the score.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Game 3 tonight – Walker Buehler vs. Charlie Morton on FOX at 7:08 p.m. CT.

bccran
    Participant

Mike Shildt – what you just saw is called a squeeze bunt.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years