2020 World Series

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 World Series

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Not enough asterisks in the world to put beside this WS and the joke of a season that preceded it. Real baseball resumes in April of 2021.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When the best team in the league wins, there’s no need for an asterisk. The Dodgers earned this one.

Participant

Free

Good for Corey. Congratulations to the Dodgers.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Highest payroll
    Best players
    Most regular season wins
    Most postseason wins
    World championship

No flukes there…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Highest payroll
    Best players
    Most regular season wins
    Most postseason wins
    World championship

No flukes there…

Agreed, although technically they had the second highest payroll behind the Yankees.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Not enough asterisks in the world to put beside this WS and the joke of a season that preceded it. Real baseball resumes in April of 2021.

I think a lot of players would disagree with the asterisk.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is just a shame that Justin Turner put so many people at risk by going back onto the field maskless to celebrate after having been pulled from the game due to testing positive for COVID. There were many people on the field, including innocent folks just trying to do their jobs like camera and audio who were potentially exposed. MLB officials saw him and asked him to return to isolation but he refused. I admire Turner as a player, but it was a selfish act as a human being.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wives, kids, babies, etc.
    Why the 8th inning pull? Is that when the latest batch of results came in?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, as I understand it, his Monday test was inconclusive, so he was allowed to play. The lab tested his Tuesday sample immediately upon receipt. Typically, the first news of positive tests arrive in the evening, so the big picture timing appears normal. Whether the Dodgers pulled him immediately upon getting the news, I haven’t seen, but they did pull him.

This is just wild speculation, but I would not be surprised if there was an emergency huddle of the Dodgers execs and Manfred (who was in the house) to decide what to do. That could have taken an inning or two.

Participant

Free

I’m in the camp that says there needs to be an asterisk next to this season –

1.) Only 37% of a normal schedule
    2.) Rigged schedules to limit longer travel, which changed opponent mix.
    3.) A number of productive players opting out.
    4.) A number of players had to quarantine and then come back.
    5.) Some rules had to be “changed” temporarily for accommodation (7 inning double headers, man on second to start extra inning, DH in both leagues and in all playoff games, etc).

Would the Dodgers have still won? Strong possibility. But that doesn’t validate the above and there should be a permanent asterisk IMHO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Any asterisks will be personal ones. The game isn’t going to do it. I am impressed they were even able to play and keep playing and I am glad they did. I really enjoyed this World Series.

Participant

Free

The game may or not do it. Certainly there will be many footnotes. That doesn’t take away from the fact that they thankfully did get a partial season in and it was an enjoyable World Series.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Like I said, asterisks are not official. They are good discussion fodder, though.

“I have always believed that the sprinkling of asterisks is a matter best left to one’s own conscience and understanding,” John Thorn, baseball’s official historian, says. “MLB policy, official since the Special Record Committee rulings of 1968-69, is that ‘For all-time single-season records, no asterisk or official sign shall be used to indicate the number of games scheduled.’”

https://nypost.com/2020/04/28/this-strange-mlb-season-could-see-asterisks-galore/

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In what way would the Dodgers be less likely to win the World Series in a normal year? If anything, they had less of a shot with the 3 game opening series. No asterisk at all, IMO.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would those in favor of an asterisk change their tune if STL had won the 2020 World Series?

Participant

Free

I wouldn’t, jj. It was a totally abnormal season no matter who prevailed in the WS.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do the 2006 Cardinals get an asterisk for being the worst team to ever win a Series?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Congrats to the Los Angeles Dodgers on a great run this year. And I tip my cap to the MLB moguls who were able to get a season out of this crazy year, even though there were a lot of variations.

As for Justin Turner, that was not good. Knowing he tested positive, he needed to be wearing a mask at the very least in the post game romp. Ideally he would have immediately left and quarantined, but I can understand the desire to celebrate. But man, do it in a wise manner. These are your teammates, among others, you are hugging and carrying on with.

Participant

Free

The reality is this season will not get an asterisk, and what I think doesn’t matter, even though I agree with many of bccran’s points.
    More importantly, I think this pandemic is far from over and those who believe next season will be a normal year are dreaming. I certainly hope the billionaires who run this game are working NOW on a plan B for 2021 and will have it ready to drop into place on opening day next April.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Note the last sentence. MLB is not going to be able to keep players and families inside the bubble and quarantine them in Texas now that the season is over.

We are once again back to the incubation period problem. The Cards isolated for five days and it was not enough. Frequent testing does not stop incubation.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d imagine that Turner may start next season with a nice long suspension, which should put the kibosh to any reason for the Cards to want to sign him.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Do you suspend Turner? How do you not if you want the players to follow protocols? If so, how long? Further complicating matters is that Turner is among the free agents who declared today.

Participant

Free

I would think teams would shy away from signing Turner, including the Cardinals. He’s going to have a Scarlet A for some time.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do you suspend Turner? How do you not if you want the players to follow protocols? If so, how long?

That’s exactly why he will end up being suspended. Clevinger and Plesac ended up missing about 3 weeks each for their team “suspensions.” I’d think Turner will get 10-20 games.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years